Weight loss challenges

Hey guys I've struggled to be lean my whole life, and I feel like it's a genetic predisposition. I've started a new life style change, that's a bit more narrowed down and just lean whole food.

I've done powerlifting/bodybuilding for the last 2 years but since covid I've been hovering around 240lbs and not seeing a budge in weight loss. Recently I've gone from construction type jobs to a sit down job and found I've gained 6 more lbs closer to 250 right now.

Work out is ppl twice a week and eating 170g of protein. Trying to up my cardio as I've generally hit my 10k steps by 2pm but now I might hit 4-5k in a day

New nutrition: 2070 cal
Breakfast-3 lg eggs, 1.5oz of steak and 2 pieces of toast with a coffee and milk using flavor sweetener.

Lunch-ground beef, potatoes and mixed veggies.

Dinner- chicken broccoli rice.

2 schools protein, 10g of creatine.

Any help or direction to help with this. I feel like with this diet it will make it easy to slowly remove things as I see progress slow.

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,872 Member
    edited December 2022
    Your probably going to have to monitor your food intake better, obviously what you where doing was not working and maybe if you stick to your new nutritional endeavor you could see an improvement. good luck with it. cheers.
  • Othique
    Othique Posts: 4 Member
    Calorie counting can be tricky and science has yet to be absolute on how many calories we actually absorb from foods...

Not to mention the laws are kinda relaxed in regards to what companies can list as calorie counts on their products
    They're allowed a 20% "error margin" (that's a pretty big margin)
    And some companies use that to their marketing advantage - especially if they're marketing for weight loss!

You can calculate this from the nutrition label by remembering:
    9 calories per gram of fat
    4 calories per gram of carbohydrate (subtract dietary fiber from carbs!!)
    2 calories per gram of soluable fiber
    0 calories per gram of insoluable fiber
    (if it doesn't specify suloable vs insoluable - just assume it's soluable)
    4 calories per gram of Protein.

I highly suggest checking all the nutritional information on anything you buy. I've found discrepancies in many.

More Examples:
    Kix cereal say it's 160 Calories per 40grams
    It's probably closer to 151 cals per 40 grams

Lily's Cookies & Creme bar claims 120 cals per 30grams
    it's actually closer to 145 cals per 30 grams.

Yasso Peanutbutter Greek Yogurt bar: the box claims it's 160 calories per bar - in actuallity it's at minimum 176.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    edited December 2022
    How are you tracking the actual portion sizes of those foods? Steak and ground beef and potatoes are foods that you really need to know exactly the amount you're eating. Your breakfast says 1.5 ounce of steak and that is a tiny amount of meat - are you weighing it and logging it as raw meat?

That potato, are you weighing it?

The rice, did you weigh it raw so you know the portions are correct?

It's exceedingly easy to be eating several hundred calories more than you think if you're not using a food scale at least on those calorie-dense foods.

There is a good little video and discussion here:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1

https://youtu.be/XpHykP6e_Uk
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Too many calories a day for a sit down job I think
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,552 Member
    edited January 2023
    All you can do is try, evaluate progress, and adjust.

10,000 steps would make one "active" if one rolls the activity that generated the steps into their MFP "base activity" level. 5,000 would be closer to the cusp of between sedentary and lightly active.

I started logging on MFP at around 240lbs and I most certainly lost a lot of weight eating on average just over 2500 Cal a day over a period of 365 days. But I was more active than MFPs very active level due to deliberate effort on my part--almost 18K steps a day on average, which helped me generate a TDEE of about 3255 per day on average for the year.

Also... this is/should be your life moving forward. not a penance. I mean sure, get a groove in, get going , etc and all that.

But you should consider using your logging to determine which of the various foods you usually consume are "worth it" to you and which ones aren't. As opposed to relying on a "set menu".

Because once you lose the weight you then start the even longer process of... maintaining the weight loss. Which doesn't include ALWAYS skipping all temptation and only eating from a set menu....
  • pccra
    pccra Posts: 2 Member
    edited January 2023
    This is from my experience, might be useful. As you do, track your intake. Maintain eating ‘clean’ food, as vegetables, fruits, meat/poultry, drink only water, tea and/or coffee, and oats with some semi-skimmed milk. Try to cook all your food yourself. Zero processed food, sugar and stay off cakes, bread etc.

Do cardio (personally, I do not consider walking cardio… :) ), light running 5-7km stretches and get your pulse up to steady around 125-140/min, speed around 8-9 km/hr, depending on your current form. If you can, do the cardio 4-5 times per week minimum. After running, do strength training with light weights, 15-20 reps, 2-3 sets each. Rotate hips and legs, core and upper body during the 4-5 times per week. Do a full stretch after each training session.

Depending on your current body composition, note that you will probably loose visceral fat first, maybe over the first 2-3 months. Then you will start to loose fat under your skin.

You did not mention your height or if you are using any medication. A general idea, be prepared to do this during the whole of 2023 and probably the best part of 2024, to get down to 78-80kg. Probably good that progress is slow, that way you will likely stay on that level over time, and that the exercise/eating regime will be an integral part of your lifestyle.