WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2023

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,492 Member
    OH MY Pip... that made me laugh! I'm sure you weren't laughing at the time, but whatever it takes.

Levi certainly is a handsome dude, Lisa! Those eyes will melt ya!

Congrats Karen!

So glad DH is coming home Katla.

IDK about that, Tracey, cuz we had some major big flakes yesterday and we got LOTS of snow. We got about 8" yesterday and we're expecting another 4-6" today.

Kylia, that is THE sweetest story... it reminds me of the Raggedy Ann and Andy dolls that my Great Aunt made me. I wanted them so much and had never had them, but I was 13! Far too "old" for those dolls, but she made them anyway, bc I was her favorite and I wanted them. Thank you so much for reminding me of that.

Got rid of a BUNCHA old spatulas and tongs and just STUFF that we don't use anymore yesterday... YAY!
    4 What was your favorite Christmas gift? (this year or ever)... EVER, my Chrissy doll, the ones years ago that had the red hair that pulled out and went back in. My mom made her loads of extra clothes. OMG, I loved her!
    Love and Blessings, Carla, in MN
    I really, REALLY like this gratitude thing, so I grabbed a boatload of these lists and I tweaked it big time! So I'm going to keep it going... myself. One day you're doing, or NOT doing... like the 1st, the next day you're thinking/reflecting.
    1 Sit in silence for three minutes... it's harder than you think
    My three minutes turned into five and then almost ten... it was so relaxing. But then Mom was really into transcendental meditation when we were kids and taught us all how to do it. I've missed that. We were all able to slow our heartbeats WAY down. I've used that so many times in the last several years in all sorts of meaningful ways! LOL Think I need to add this to my daily prayers every morning again.
    2 List 5 things using each of your senses… hoar frost on my trees, that beeper that we can’t find that keeps going off, morning coffee that tastes sooooo good, tapping the computer keys, congested(lol)
    3 Let go of at least 5 items in your house... cleaning out a couple of our kitchen drawers today. Wish me luck! Got rid of a BUNCHA old spatulas and tongs and just STUFF that we don't use anymore... YAY!
    4 What was your favorite Christmas gift? (this year or ever)... EVER, my Chrissy doll, the ones years ago that had the red hair that pulled out and went back in. My mom made her loads of extra clothes. OMG, I loved her!
    5 Move for at least 30 minutes today...
    6 Share a goal you achieved last year...
    7 Slow down and savor one meal today...
    8 Who was your favorite teacher...
    9 Create something today...
    10 What is your favorite lyric from a song...
    11 Send a card/note to someone today...
    12 What are you looking forward to in 2023?...
    13 Tell a random person they look "good" today...
    14 Tell us three amazing things that happened recently (you decide what "recently" means...lol)...
    15 Call or text someone you haven't talked to in at least a week...
    16 What made you smile today...
    17 Take a photo of something you're grateful for...
    18 What material comforts are you most thankful for? You can make your list as long as you like...
    19 Write a positive review for a company for goods or services you've received recently...
    20 Write down five things you like about yourself...
    21 Pay it forward in some way...
    22 What do you most desire in your life right now?...
    23 Go an entire day without complaining...
    24 What about you makes you special?...
    25 Spend time with a loved one...
    26 When was the last time you felt pure joy?...
    27 Hold the door for a stranger... or a friend...
    28 What fear have you overcome?...
    29 Engage in a random act of kindness of your own choice...
    30 When was the last time you laughed so hard you almost peed?...

31 Now try to "meditate" (sit in silence) for ten minutes...

Yup, I took a lot! Do what you gotta do. I know I did that out of rebellion, but I had fun while I was at it
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,317 Member
    edited January 2023
    Good morning ladies! <3

You all have been very busy this past 24+ hours! I want to respond to every one of your super posts, but need to cut it short (lucky for you :D .) Will address a few things. Landscaper coming in less than an hour and I have things to do outside before they show up. I think they'll be doing some "chainsaw pruning." So be it.

Rosemarie - I didn't participate in any Facebook widow's groups.
    --I did my grieving the year before DH actually passed. His confusion and rapid weight loss the last year of his life was overwhelming for me, I did a lot of crying in my doctor's office prior to that. He and his nurse were there for me. Rori from our group was a great resource. <3
    --I didn't have time. A week after he passed I broke my toe and I had 2+ acres of lawn that had to get mowed, ditches to get weed whacked. Angels in the form of friends and neighbors came to my rescue and literally got me back "on my feet".
    --We had good health insurance so wasn't faced with surprise medical bills or haggling with providers and insurance companies. Best investment we ever made.
    --My walking partner was twice widowed. One an accident, one a suicide. She was a good listener.
    --I'm a "get on with it" type of person. Not sure I could be a good contributor to any group other than to pop in and say "get busy." If I was holed up in an apartment with neighbors I barely knew or a situation different than what I'm in, a widow's group might be very valuable.
    --Strangely, other than my immediate friends and relatives, I haven't announced to the world that he has passed. I really don't want to go through it all again and explain and get the expressions of sympathy and all that jazz. As I mentioned above, I think I got that out of my system while he was failing. Maybe that's just my personality. One of my mottos has always been "if something gets in my way I go around it:" KiKi Dee "I've got the music in me". Life is for the living. <3

Several of you mentioned going down rabbit holes! Before I got sidetracked yesterday morning, I was intending to post I was spending a lot of time down a rabbit hole regarding fasting and hormones in post menopausal women. Info I'd been looking for by Dr. Mindy Pelz. Still exploring all the branches, picking up lots of good tips. If anyone is interested, here are a couple YouTube links:
    <3 Had a great chat & phone call with customer service at McAfee this morning. They were very helpful, explained everything to my satisfaction (even with their heavy accents and my less than perfect hearing.) Everything turned out better than I expected. I'm very grateful and elated! <3

Ok better get going. Gotta drug the dog.

Make it a wonderful day! <3

Lanette B)
    SW WA State where thankfully temps are in the mid-30's. I'm a little concerned about the landscape crew working in the cold. Will keep coffeepot ready if they need a warmup.
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,292 Member
    Karen and Lisa ~ Love the photos of the grands.

Lanette and Rori ~ I really admire the way both of you have handled life changes. You are both strong women.

Tracy ~ You have great in-laws.

Was awakened this morning before 5 AM with very bad lightning storms...Scary! So glad that the weather is finally settling down here and the sun will appear this PM.

Carol in GA
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,793 Member
    2023 GOALS
    Word of the year: Appreciate : The New Mexico sunshine

Gratitude list

1 Sit in silence for three minutes... it's harder than you think —DONE
    2 List 5 things using each of your senses.Seeing my dogs all curled up sleeping, smelling my essential oils, tasting good food, hearing the quiet while walking, feeling the wind on my skin
    3 Let go of at least 5 items in your house. Gotta work on this one! I tossed Christmas cards from previous years. More than 5 there.
    4 What was your favorite Christmas gift? (this year or ever)—This year was jewelry from my ‘adopted’ granddaughter.
    5 Move for at least 30 minutes today
    6 Share a goal you achieved last year
    7 Slow down and savor one meal today
    8 Who was your favorite teacher
    9 Create something today
    10 What is your favorite lyric from a song
    11 Send a card/note to someone today
    12 What are you looking forward to in 2023?
    13 Tell a random person they look "good" today
    14 Tell us three amazing things that happened recently (you decide what "recently" means...lol)
    15 Call or text someone you haven't talked to in at least a week
    16 What made you smile today
    17 Take a photo of something you're grateful for
    18 What material comforts are you most thankful for? You can make your list as long as you like...
    19 Write a positive review for a company for goods or services you've received recently
    20 Write down five things you like about yourself
    21 Pay it forward in some way
    22 What do you most desire in your life right now?
    23 Go an entire day without complaining
    24 What about you makes you special?
    25 Spend time with a loved one
    26 When was the last time you felt pure joy?
    27 Hold the door for a stranger... or a friend
    28 What fear have you overcome?
    29 Engage in a random act of kindness of your own choice
    30 When was the last time you laughed so hard you almost peed?
    31 Now try to "meditate" (sit in silence) for ten
    minutes...

RVRita in sunny NM
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,793 Member
    I really need to start taking notes with names and locations! I read and think I want to reply, but keep reading and forget want I wanted to say. I think i will switch from my phone or iPad to my computer so i can do what many of you already do: open a document alongside this forum so I can answer as I read. Should help my memory too! LOL

Yesterday went to dentist with DH, then Post Office where we both received gift cards to Amazon from my daughter and family for Christmas. We then went to Sam’s Club then Walmart for monthly stock up. I hate getting paid only once a month!

Got home to find backhoe and other equipment right near our camper. Park is finally fixing the broken sewer line that runs through several campsites, a bathroom, and our camper! It has been broken for ‘only’ 3 months so far! Put groceries away then did my reservation notices and watched and questioned workers. Lots of ‘lost’ campers who ‘can’t read’ that we only take reservations in this park. (Rolling my eyes all through this paragraph!)

RVRita in sunny NM
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,925 Member
    edited January 2023
    auntiebk wrote: »
    2 List 5 things using each of your senses – tea by cheery light, comforting crackling, cozy warmth, woodsmoke= how grateful I am for our cast iron stove and Joe keeping us well stocked with wood.
    3 Let go of at least 5 items in your house – yeah, no. Good goal for the month tho’ ;)

Yesterday about when I was done with my long post, Joe got up and said “It’s cold!” I was just noticing that too. Turns out the furnace was hot but not blowing any warm air.
    Joe immediately turned the thermostat way down and built a fire. That wonderful woodstove had our whole house warm in less than an hour. Miraculously for our (“No Hurry in Curry”) county, the recommended heating company had a crew in our neighborhood and they came the SAME DAY. Fixed the furnace for only $135/part & labor (and a generous tip from Joe.) Wish they did fences, tree work, house cleaning, painting, remodeling . . . ;}
    Might invite them back to replace my bathroom’s noisy vent fan with one that is properly vented outside instead of into the attic, and that give the option of turning on the light without turning on the fan. Then onto mildew abatement in the shower ceiling… [sigh]

Welcome @AnneFrewin, @jebogan73 Jane from OH, ShelleyMJ46, @jez6915 Julie from MI and @MutterGans!
    @angelaengland473 Ang in UT welcome to you too! Debbie and Machka are recent skin cancer surgery survivors. The last of my 4 surgeries was in 2005. How long ago was yours?

Debbie Prayers for Destiny and her mom. What a blessing the mom has been able to find something positive (removing the tumor) in them taking out Destiny’s femur.
    Pip ((hugs))

Tracey yours to Allie about Tracy and Kyle. Likewise I tiptoed around Joe for ten years, then finally got some helpful counseling. While you’re trying to change your attitude about work, can you re-ignite your job search?

Time to snooze.

Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif

2023: Be of good cheer.
    January: Move more, fuel better, live NOW.

Thank you- all prayers are greatly appreciated for Destiny and her family. Her middle name is something that really fits- her name is Destiny Hope.
    I totally agree with you on the fan in the bathroom. Both of ours is one that is light/fan combination. We have replaced them a few times, supposed to be quiet but not quiet enough for me. I HATE the noise.
    I take almost all of my showers in the dark because of it- a lot more relaxing without the bright light and the loud noise.
    I have tip-toed around dh for the past 30 yrs(and former hubby for 7 while we were married). Working on changing that, finally.
    Tracey- that would be great to have supportive inlaws again. I had them in my first marriage. In fact, still have them in my life. Three out of four isn't bad I guess. The big issue is current MIL.
    I need to work on being strong, like you.

Debbie
    Napa Valley

Forecast for our area is " atmospheric river" again today.

• Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,778 Member
    Heather -- Thanks for the encouragement to try something, even if we don't do the it prefect.
    Lisa--Thanks for sharing Levi's birthday pictures. Looks like everyone had a good time.
    Karen--Welcome to the new grandbaby.
    At church last Sunday they were talking about fasting. Not just food or meals. So I have given up for this month FB and games on my phone. I must say I am surprised at how hard it is and only on day 4. But getting more done in the evenings and not missing the drama.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND, NE where it is 30 today and snow and ice is melting. Will freeze after dark. <3
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,022 Member
    Helped my dad untangle his insurance. He had double coverage on the house and the car. The time when I take over his finances draws ever nearer. This middle phase is delicate. He wants help but he doesn't want to give up independence. I'm just glad he is cheerful about it. So far.

It did take me some extra chocolate.

Annie in Delaware

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,099 Member
    💕🙏Destiny 🙏💕
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,674 Member
    Afternoon ladies
    On my way into the Drs office ,but got dishes done cleaned out fridge and bless his heart my brother came down and took some stuff to goodwill and took stuff out to the garbage for me and got sone stuff straightened up in my storage area.. i feel a bit better about it now,And a load of laundry dried.
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,292 Member
    Debbie ~ Good looking first family! My heart breaks for Destiny and her family. The idea of all that pain just hurts.

Annie ~ My brother-in-law keeps saying he wants to take over his finances; but, he can't remember the passwords to his accounts or puts them in wrong. It's really a mess!

Carol in GA
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Hi everyone.I've been off the chats for ages. it's hard to keep up with all when working full time etc etc. house move and so on. it's such a huge group I can never read all and feel frustrated when I can t. ( don't want to just post without reading) I just found an old personal mail from auntie bk asking for news. thank you, so I thought I'd give you a shout out. I'm still rolling along but totally unable to keep up! big hugs and happy new year to all!

Julie- SOOOOO glad to see your post. Have asked about you. You have been missed!
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,674 Member
    Well back from the drs
    All is well.. have to go get bloodwork done but other than that she said see you in a year.. all she is worried about is my calcium levels
    I just have to let go and let them deal with all the crap that goes on down there,I guess for Miles Grandma is the calm in the storm,it hurts me so that he has to grow up listening to the screaming and the swearing...
    And Tracy stuck smack dab in the middle of it all.
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,743 Member
    Barbara ... your response to January Day 3 ... made me snort!

Karen ... congratulations on the new grandbaby!!

Julie ... good to see you pop in. Happy New Year!

Lisa ... that Levi is one beautiful little boy ... those lashes ...

Machka ... the 200 things to throw away. Sadly, I have a lot of that stuff still in my house for "just in case." Today, believe it or not we used item 198 ... a hole punch. Go figure.

It's January 4th and I'm already behind on the gratitudes, so I'll start with today. Favorite Christmas Gift is one I received years ago from my dad. While cleaning out my grandfather's attic, I spotted an old rocking chair and asked my dad if I could have it. While he said yes, the chair fell apart as he was putting it into our car's trunk. Being a teenager at the time, I forgot all about it. Unknown to me, my dad worked on that chair for months re-gluing the joints and refinishing the chair. I received it as a Christmas present that year. Burst into tears when I saw it. I used it to rock both of my babies and it means even more to me now that my dad is gone.

Gray and miserable weather here today. Ran some errands. Paid some bills ... with checks Machka... otherwise told to use a credit card??? We're having leftovers for dinner which no one is too excited about. I'll be in bed early.

Beth near Buffalo