60 yrs and up

Replies

• ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,807 Member
    kathy2845 wrote: »
    How do I join this group of 60 yr old?

You just did. Welcome!! Bookmark the thread to make easier to find and away we go 🙂
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    BartBVanBockstaele Posts: 623 Member
    edited January 2023
    Yeah, the low fat diet didn't work well for me and it appears the vast majority either, which is still recommended to this day, mind boggling actually.
    I have no idea about this vast majority. It may well be true, and it may not be. Maybe you could point us to a credible source? I can say that I am following a rather low-fat diet and it works great for me.

It's been low fat since the introduction of the food pyramids begun. In 2020 fat was reduced further to as low as 25% and with protein around 15% that's a 55-60% carb diet, which hasn't basically changed much. Carb consumption in the 50's, 60's and 70's was in the low 40's and the obesity rate was in the area of 13% which resulted in a reduction of fat consumption going fwd and was coined the low fat era, maybe your not American, I don't know. I believe the EU is even lower, I heard as low as 15% fat, not sure though. My inference was that obesity has risen steadily since these introductions and I stand corrected it's not the vast majority because obesity in America is slightly below 50% but I have confidence that the USDA will continue to recommend these guidelines so I suspect these numbers to keep increasing as they've been doing for the last 30 years. Cheers.

EDIT: If overweight persons are included then the stats show 76% of the population is either overweight or obese. Stats are on the CDC website.

https://cdc.gov/nchs/data/hestat/obesity-adult-17-18/obesity-adult.htm#table1
    The problem you are pointing out is correct. Low fat does not work. But then, neither does low carb or even low protein. The only thing that works is low(er) energy, and in that context, percentages don't matter.

What your purposing is food has no influence on weight loss only calories.....where have I heard that before, oh right, from people trying to lose weight.
    That would be a meaningful claim if it were possible to get energy through something else than food. We cannot load up by sticking our fingers in a power outlet, by photosynthesis, ingesting plutonium or by any other non-food-related energy source . It just isn't. It is, however, perfectly possible to get a very low-fat diet and still gain weight because one is ingesting too much of it. For weight loss, energy trumps macros. That is just the way it is. It is also, sadly, something I have had to learn the hard way, now some forty years ago.
    You could even gain weight feasting only on fibre... although that would be really hypothetical in practice because you are likely to die from a bezoar long before you get enough energy that way, but there is no fundamental reason why you couldn't. Fibre isn't usually mentioned as an energy source, but it is. In my opinion, even though it is a carb, it should be put into its own category because it differs so dramatically from the other carbs.
  • ridiculous59
    Respectful debates are good!!! It's often a way to learn new ideas, which keeps us from being stagnant (aka old fuddy duddies haha). But I seem to remember that there is a way to make them available to the debaters, but not everyone else. @AnnPT77 do you remember that little trick?
  • spinnerdell
    spinnerdell Posts: 230 Member
    I dearly love a lively discussion and was sad when such give-and-take was corralled into one area. Yes, it's probably easier to monitor flouting of guidelines this way, but I've learned a lot wandering in the weeds.
  • larhondakidd
    larhondakidd Posts: 3 Member
    Is this still an active group? Over 60 years old?
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    edited January 2023
    Yes
    Is this still an active group? Over 60 years old?

Yes, this group is active. Stop by regularly and join in the discussion. Bookmark the thread to make it easy to find on return visits.

It's mostly seasoned citizens here, but no one is checking your ID. All are welcome as long as you mind your manners. 😁
  • BCLadybug888
    BCLadybug888 Posts: 1,175 Member
    Great to hear from you Steve, as always, you are such an inspiration (whether you feel like it or not - you really are!).

I am focusing on IF 14:10 and cleaning up my food choices for the month of January, really feeling good about making progress this year!
  • Pdc654
    Pdc654 Posts: 317 Member
    @alteredsteve175 I agree with BCLadybug ...you are an inspiration. You have a very difficult job caring for a terminally ill spouse, and very emotionally draining. I am so glad you have friends checking in on you every few days. That helps to elevate your mood so much.

I am rooting for you to cross over into onederland soon! The day that happened for me was a high point in my weight loss journey! It was energizing, and made me even more determined to stick with my plan.
  • ridiculous59
    I’m new here. So far I’ve managed to log in everyday and enter food and what exercise I’m doing. I really need to get more exercise. My legs are weak and mobility is affected. Hope all here are doing ok.

Welcome! I love your name 🙂 I enjoy watching the chickadees at my bird feeder while eating breakfast. They are flitting around no matter how cold the temperatures are. I just love them ♥️

I once attended a work shop where a person from the Y introduced us to "chair yoga". We were all admin-type employees so she showed us things that could be done at our workstations every couple of hours. I know that there are lots of chair yoga videos on Youtube. Maybe that is something you could investigate in your desire of more exercise??
  • kmcintosh1988
    kmcintosh1988 Posts: 35 Member
    Good Evening everyone. I’m Kathy. 61 years old. I’ll be 62 in August.
    So happy to have found a group in my age group. Night time is my worse enemy. I do good all day long then night comes and I turn into a snack monster! Sweets and salty are what I crave. Food has always been my friend when a emotion would hit me. I need to remember food is for fuel and not a friend. I really need to listen to my head too. Am I really hungry? I’m trying to answer that question more recently before grabbing anything. Looking forward to growing in this group. But not in size.
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    BartBVanBockstaele Posts: 623 Member
    Good Evening everyone. I’m Kathy. 61 years old. I’ll be 62 in August.
    So happy to have found a group in my age group. Night time is my worse enemy. I do good all day long then night comes and I turn into a snack monster! Sweets and salty are what I crave. Food has always been my friend when a emotion would hit me. I need to remember food is for fuel and not a friend. I really need to listen to my head too. Am I really hungry? I’m trying to answer that question more recently before grabbing anything. Looking forward to growing in this group. But not in size.
    I am just a few months younger than you. I lost a little over 62 kg so far. My strategy for ingesting less energy during "snack attack period" is to drink lots of very diluted coffee (almost coloured water), chew sugar-free chewing gum and eating non-starchy vegetables cooked in the microwave. The calorie count of the coffee is negligible, the chewing gum is 4 to 5, so that is essentially negligible as well and non-starchy vegetables are about 60 kcal for 250 g. So really, that is not very much either. I stopped adding salt about 4 years ago. It took about 3 years to adapt to that but I can now say I don't miss it, most likely for no other reason than that I no longer remember how good it makes food taste. It is quite helpful in reducing food intake

Success on your journey. You can do it. It may be a struggle in the beginning (at least, it was for me), but really, once you have figured out a way of eating that is compatible with your way of life, it will turn into nothing more than game of of patience.
  • ridiculous59
    edited January 2023
    @kmcintosh1988 I have a couple of things that work for me with regards to evening "snack-attacks"....

Firstly, for me, snacking in the evening is usually the result of bordom. If I don't have an outside committment, or anything good to watch or read, I end up drifting towards the kitchen. But if I have a good book on the go, or am invested in a good tv series on Netflix or BritBox, then I'm usually okay.

I often save 100 calories for an evening snack but I also have a drawer of nice teas that are my evening "treat", if I feel like I need something.

Something else I used to do was stretching in the evening. I won't call it yoga because to me yoga is more of a complete mind/body thing. But as I was watching TV, I'd pull out my mat and stretch for an hour or so. At that time in my weightloss journey I had started exercising more and would get terrible leg and foot cramps during the night. The evening stretching really helped and also kept me occupied so I wasn't thinking about food.

In the lighter, summer months, an evening walk is always a good option. But I find I don't walk in the evening during the darker, winter months.

So yeah, for me, if I don't save a few calories for an evening snack then I need to keep my mind and/or body engaged to keep me out of the kitchen. Or have a cup of tea.