Share your Numbers

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,585 Member
    Fatigue and reduced TDEE are not a good combination.
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,818 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Fatigue and reduced TDEE are not a good combination.

Well, toss in being old and there you go. I’m not going to get any younger or substantially more active in the future. Soooo - I’ll experiment. I’m not planning on cutting too many calories. Just sticking to a feeding schedule if possible.
  • PAV8888
    edited January 2023
    The staff at the "dad place" have mentioned the "fresh-person 10" where many newbies gain a few lbs on arrival.

They provide "three meals a day plus snacks". Breakfasts are a continental buffet plus hot porridge, hard boiled egg, and fresh and "boiled" fruit. Lunch and dinner are sit downs: soup or salad, main, dessert. Cookies and snacks are generally available in the afternoons.

Now here are some interesting data points... make of them what you will!

--dad is NOT complaining about lack of food; the opposite if anything, and visual evidence supports this!
    --they offer a choice of full or half portion for each main. Dad chooses full. Many of the ladies choose half.
    --their food is not bad at all. But I am not too eager to pay for their lunch or dinner. Why? Part of the reason is that I find their "full" portions to be quite small. Equal, or smaller than most senior portions at a restaurant going from my limited experience with such. And I am fairly confident it is not just my "fat eye" that is coming up with this evaluation!
    --their full portioned **holiday meals** are closer to what I would put in front of myself on a regular day. The only exception was thanksgiving dinner which was generously sized by any standard!

So, yeah, I don't see portion sizes increasing without penalty as time moves on :disappointed:
  • Yoolypr
    edited January 2023
    Here’s a little eye opener. To maintain the same weight, same activity level at age 60 drops by 200 daily calories by age 75. That’s 1400 calories a week. Just for getting older. Now that’s probably based on the assumption that ones metabolism slows down even with same activity level? Why?

My weight loss deficit should be 1200 calories daily which I find unsustainable. At my goal weight I would get about 1500 based on height/age.

So at your dad’s independent living place the nutritionists go by averages. Most old folks just don’t expend calories like they did when younger. Therefore smaller meals are enough.

But that doesn’t account for more active people or those in good health with a healthy appetite. Bet those folks eat a lot of breakfast buffet and afternoon cookies with a stash of extra food in their apartments.

I’m still trying to figure out where my maintenance should be - cause I’m not average! My fat eye is still hungry.
  • PAV8888
    They eye (and mood) definitely intrude! :wink:
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    I told my doctor this morning that if I am fat or skinny I will probably be dead anyway in fifteen years…now that’s a cheery thought!
  • Yoolypr
    I checked the life expectancy for US women - guess I’ve got only about 4 more years based on averages. I’ll take fifteen Connie!
  • PAV8888
    You bunch are cheerful. In seven years my credit card extended medical trip insurance will be covering didly squat!🙀
  • Yoolypr
    You bunch are cheerful. In seven years my credit card extended medical trip insurance will be covering didly squat!🙀

Welcome to future geezerhood! I have Medicare, a robust Blue Cross retirement supplement to that plus lifetime insurance as a military dependent. Covers most stuff but not much outside the US so we have to get pricey travel insurance every time.
  • PAV8888
    Which is quite funny when you consider the fact that if they would cover you for your local cost equivalent you would be more than covered in pretty much every single country in the world!

Our problem is that at best they would cover our local cost equivalent but as soon as we cross a certain line these costs become about 10 times higher or some other absurd amount I'm told! 🙀 hence the desire for some additional coverage
  • Yoolypr
    We’re all losers in the insurance game.

On the scale front — a bit of progress and then regression. Do I really want to get to goal or just dream about it? Doctor checkup in March and I want the numbers to be good. And there’s that September trip to Hawaii..... so good motivation there but so far I’m just coasting along.
  • scoutmom1981
    scoutmom1981 Posts: 302 Member
    Lots of doom in the share your numbers page. I guess that's fitting. lol

My number went down super slightly. That's a positive.

No matter if your number went down or up or stayed the same at least you are trying. You are still here and checking in. Every day is a new day to start again. Even if the insurance companies are ultimately the biggest winner.
  • PAV8888
    Well.... my resting heart rate is down! My front paws are cold and complaining!

btw, neither is necessarily good for easier weight loss as they're indicative of downwards adaptations which make losses harder, not easier.

But they ARE an indication that downstairs pressure is being successfully applied. At least in my case in recent years.

Scale is stable to a hint of down! Quiet now. Let's not jinx things!🙀🤞

Will have to balance the cold paw thing against deficit against loss. Baby steps, right? 🤣😹
  • scoutmom1981
    scoutmom1981 Posts: 302 Member
    Scale moved quite a bit this morning. I know it isn't real weight loss but it sure gives ya a boost to see the number move down.

Have a great Hump Day!
  • PAV8888
    Ain't that SOOOO special!

Well my data these days do have holes. AND, there is appreciable "DURATION* context missing if one assigns equal importance to a month long and year long average.

That said, there still appears to be a clear enough demarcation!

Fast losses: eating 2560 (365 days), or 2592 (90 days)
    Slow losses: eating 2913 (365 days), or 2911 (365 days)
    Maintenance: eating 2920 (365 days), or 2959 (31 days)
    and any time I've been eating above that?
    2989 (31 days), 3021 (29 days), 3158 (30 days) = UNWANTED gains!

Grumble, grumble, BAD PAV, so out of the past 180 days crono finally cooperated to export, excluding today, excluding the 14 back in October when CCCGG was visiting, and ONE OBVIOUSLY FLUBBED DAY (since we know I didn't only eat 815 Cal), I have 164 valid days.

Min 2069, Max 7330 and average = 3081

Something tells me that 3081 is NOT less than 2913. And the scale sure seems to agree! Sure sure the outs vary too... but the ins sure seem to be relevant!
  • PAV8888
    edited January 2023
    hmmm.... to clarify: activity is fairly high coming in at above mfp's very active setting and yielding a TDEE of between 2900 and 3100 throughout the years I've been recording... because the four legs is a champ at herding me out the door! :wink:
  • Yoolypr
    Finally seeing a small downward trend. I’ll believe if it lasts more than three days! 🙏
  • PAV8888
    So what do you use for your averaging Yooly? App? Spreadsheet?
  • Yoolypr
    So what do you use for your averaging Yooly? App? Spreadsheet?

No fancy schmancy apps or spreadsheets here! No averages. If the same number pops up on the scale for a good week, I figure it’s going to stick around. And on to the next pound..... Don’t own a fit bit either.

I’m not averse to using any of these tools. And I can work with tech tools easily. I just decided to low tech the weight loss thing and keep it simple. It either IS or it AINT.
  • Dante_80
    Dante_80 Posts: 479 Member
    edited February 2023
    Hello fellow losers. 6 months of maintenance have just passed for me!

Well...I didn't do all that well during the holidays, and gained around 3 pounds. This was both expected that tracked though, so I had to focus on the rest of January to get back in shape.

I did.

Height: 167cm - 5'6''
    SW: 177.8 kg - 392 lb - 64.5 ΒΜΙ (May 2020)
    GW: 74.4 kg - 164 lb - 27 ΒΜΙ (+/- 5kg/10lb)

LW: 73.1 kg - 161.2 lb - 26.5 ΒΜΙ (1/9/23)
    CW: 70.4 kg - 155.2 lb - 25.5 ΒΜΙ

OL: 107.4 kg - 236.8 lb - 39.0 BMI - 60.4% TBW in 1024 days

Weight class projections:
    Obese class II: Reached - 21.05.2021 - 401 days.
    Obese class I: Reached - 25.09.2021 - 526 days.
    Overweight: Reached - 19.03.2022 - 704 days.
    Goal (74.4kg): Reached - 29.07.2022 - 835 days.

I also had to do a Holter monitor test for a day this week, since I found my heart rate going down a lot lately. I also had a feeling sometimes that I can hear my own heartbeat, especially when at rest. As always, working in a hospital has its merits, like instant and free access to stuff like that. The results were good, seems there is no problem. Maybe I will have to see someone about the heartbeat hearing thinngy, could be pulsatile tinnitus.

xTsmmyA.jpg

Hope everyone is doing ok, sending good vibes to all! Onwards! :)