60 yrs and up

Replies

• swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    @BCLadybug888
    Thank you for the comment. I know, your not a negative person. Your a cheerleader!
  • kmcintosh1988
    kmcintosh1988 Posts: 35 Member
    @BartBVanBockstaele thank you so much for your comments. I really get everything you said. You are definitely correct. It’s definitely a mindset with me. I found the sugar free gum to be helpful.
    The sugar addiction is real. I’m making small changes to get that in control. Today was a good day. The tea is definitely sometime had done in past. Going to hop on the tea train too.
    Hope you have a great weekend.
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    BartBVanBockstaele Posts: 623 Member
    @kmcintosh1988 While I am reading your message, I am chewing some chewing gum. I maintain a relatively large stock of it in my pantry because the last thing I need, is to run out. I do the same with coffee and tea: I don't want to run out, regardless of how much (or how little) I drink.

Once you have figured out a "system", you only have to apply it without giving it any conscious thought anymore. It is really worth doing.

Success, you can do it.
  • kmcintosh1988
    @BartBVanBockstaele I need to stock up on the gum for sure. I think you are completely correct on this. I love teas so they are easy to drink. I just looked a few minutes ago and I actually had a couple flavors. I’m going to make a lemon and honey one I found. Enjoy your evening. Let’s keep in contact. Hugs.
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    edited January 2023
    @BartBVanBockstaele I need to stock up on the gum for sure. I think you are completely correct on this. I love teas so they are easy to drink. I just looked a few minutes ago and I actually had a couple flavors. I’m going to make a lemon and honey one I found. Enjoy your evening. Let’s keep in contact. Hugs.
    One of the advantages of stocking up, is that I can wait until there is a sale. In all, stocking up really has advantages: you never run out, you don't have to shop very often and you save money because you buy at a lower price. Last time I bought gum, the "normal" price was 5.5 CDN per bottle in my neighbourhood, but I bought 12 bottles at a store that was further away, where the price was lower, you got a discount for buying more and I got an extra discount as a frequent buyer. In all, I paid approximately 50% of the price I would have paid in my neighbourhood. That is a non-negligible advantage and I have to add to that the longer walk, so I am essentially being paid for doing "exercise". So, just by adjusting my behaviour ever so slightly, I get several advantages, including the main one of having something that *helps* protect me against going over my reasonable energy intake.

And by the way, I like the lemon and honey too. I find that many herbal teas have hibiscus in them and those taste all virtually the same to me, the only big difference I find is the picture on the box. However, lemon and honey is an exception to that. Also, many/most "herbal teas, especially the fruity ones" have artificial flavours and even sweeteners in them. I have nothing against that, but I just don't see the point. I simply buy Crystal Light or MiO or something similar when I am in the market for artificial fruity flavouring.

A lovely evening to you. It is morning here in Toronto now.
    If there is anything, just yell.
  • kmcintosh1988
    @BartBVanBockstaele Wow that’s great pricing on the gum! It’s expensive anymore we buy mentos Pure Fresh you get 50 pieces for a little less that four dollars. It’s less than five calories and total sugars are zero it comes in about five flavors but my go to it Spearmint.
    Yes I’m kind-of picky about teas. I’m not big into fruity. I don’t know why I’m just not.
    I hope you have a great Sunday. Enjoy your day and keep on tracking. Hugs.
  • BCLadybug888
    BCLadybug888 Posts: 1,254 Member
    edited January 2023
    I love (not that anyone was asking lol) all sorts of black teas, like Vanilla Earl Grey, double chai, Tetley bold, Lady Grey. There was one that had a funny name, 'Constant Comment' I believe that was an orange spice and made by Bigelow, but haven't seen it anywhere for a few years. If anyone knows who sells that in Canada, let me know.

I also love Jasmine Green tea, and for noncaffeine, a lemon zinger type or peppermint/chamomile (like skeepy time) is good.

There is a tangerine Crystal Light that reminds me of Tang in my youth that I will go for if don't want plain water and feel more like juice than tea...

Gum - love cinnamon dentyne fire!! I always have tgst on hand - goes well with Coke Zero...And the spearmint dentyne ice also pretty good (but not when drinking coke zero lol).

And if all else fails, one can always go to bed, right - who gets enough sleep anyway 😉 😴

• BartBVanBockstaele
    edited January 2023
    @BartBVanBockstaele Wow that’s great pricing on the gum! It’s expensive anymore we buy mentos Pure Fresh you get 50 pieces for a little less that four dollars. It’s less than five calories and total sugars are zero it comes in about five flavors but my go to it Spearmint.
    Yes I’m kind-of picky about teas. I’m not big into fruity. I don’t know why I’m just not.
    I hope you have a great Sunday. Enjoy your day and keep on tracking. Hugs.
    Everyone has her/his own preferences. Nothing wrong with that. It shows that we are all different, and that is no different for strategies that work to reduce energy intake. In my case, I prefer Excel peppermint and the Trident strawberry-kiwi splash gums. I also like the Vibes sour and the Vibes peppermint, but they are harder to get within reasonable walking distance.

As for coffee, I am a sucker for Nescafé Gold. I use very little, a teaspoon (5 ml) for 310 ml of water. That is barely more than colored water. I use a pod-style coffee machine, but I only use it because it provides hot water on demand, which means I have no filters to store, use and throw away. I don't even have to stir, the machine does that simply by filling the cup. If I want tea, I put a tea bag in. The only exception would be my Japanese green tea. That is a little more involved. That explains why I don't drink it all that often even though it is my absolute favourite. I just don't think it is worth the extra time.

I used to be big fan of Diet Pepsi. That has a taste to reminds me of Coke (!) lollipops I had when I was a child. Diet Coke doesn't have that for some reason. I was an even bigger fan of Diet Tonic and plain sparkling water. But that seems to have lapsed. I couldn't buy it fast enough in the past, whereas I still have ten cans or so of sparkling water in my fridge and I don't touch them. Tastes/cravings change, clearly.

I anticipate my weight loss journey to morph into weight maintenance some time soon, maybe three/four months or so, but it won't change much. I'll just change my diet to titrate my way up a few calories and everything else will stay the same.

Lovely day to you and keep going!
  • BartBVanBockstaele
    And if all else fails, one can always go to bed, right - who gets enough sleep anyway 😉 😴
    Indeed. That is why I try to eat for the last time an hour or two before I go to sleep. The hunger is still tolerable at that time, and sleep seems to have an anorexic effect, so except for relatively rare cases, hunger does not wake me up. If it does, I eat, and stay awake for an hour or two after that and go back to horizontalise myself. It seems to work.
  • BCLadybug888
    @newmeby70 - love your Username! 👍
    Welcome to our little corner of MFP 💜
  • Elwin5
    Elwin5 Posts: 22 Member
    @NewGrl64 ran across this gal who put together her recipes and meal plan, found it helpful.
    https://www.genaw.com
  • NewGrl64
    NewGrl64 Posts: 110 Member
    @Elwin5 Thanks for your help!

I've made up a lunch/dinner menu from dietdoctor.com (I don't eat bfast, never have, never will, so I've already got the intermittent 16/8 thing going naturally). I chose a 30g net carb limit and managed to get into ketosis pretty quickly (measuring with ketostix). I was a little surprised by how quickly, but maybe it was because I'd already given up most processed foods. I thought I'd have trouble because the carbs weren't low enough, but I seem to be doing okay.

I basically eat chicken and fish and a lot of green veggies, cruciferous veggies, and other low-carb veggies, both raw in salads and cooked. I add butter and olive oil freely to get my calories up. I also love avocados and olives and add them a lot.

So far, so good. I don't feel deprived at all. I did have a very mild "keto flu" around day 4 and 5 - headache, a bit of nausea, really tired - but it passed quickly enough.

I've lost 3 lbs. this past week, but I realize it's going to be all water weight. I've upped my water consumption by about 1/2 so I don't get dehydrated. I feel good so far, but we'll see what happens at the beginning of March when I go back to the doctor for blood tests.
  • BCLadybug888
    @Pdc654- wow, that sucks!
    I (vaccinated & boosted) got Covid in October and a killer sore throat was my main complaint. And then lack of energy persisted for several weeks. 😴 napping was my new normal for a while.

I think we'll all get it eventually, and maybe more than once, if it has indeed become endemic. But hopefully the strains keep getting weaker and our collective immunity keeps getting stronger! 💪

@NewGrl64 - nice you were able to get into ketosis 👍; please do let us know what your numbers do in February - enquiring minds want to know 😉 😀
  • BCLadybug888
    Hey all - if you plan to stick to it for the long haul and you're looking for a group of supportive people (and usually a special weekly challenge), consider joining the group known as "Lose 1 Pound a Week and Keep it Off! 2023" Search in groups & click link or try the URL below, then find the little "join" button. This is your personal invite! Someone should approve your request in a day or so; usually less.

The only requirements are to post a starting weight and set some quarterly goals - then to stay active, all you have to do is post your weekly weigh-in.

If you'll be gone for a while, let the group leaders know; they'll put you on "shore leave" so you won't become inactive (if you are inactive, just weigh in to become active again).

All the other ongoing challenges are purely voluntary and are there to help us stay accountable. Only do the ones you want to do, and stop/start at any time. The group has been going since 2016. It's quite friendly and has an active group chat thread. I joined last year at Alteredsteve175's invite, and I'm so glad I did 😊

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/129605-lose-1-pound-a-week-and-keep-it-off-2023
  • Pdc654
    Pdc654 Posts: 317 Member
    Welcome @Elwin5 . This is a great supportive thread!