60 yrs and up

Replies

• swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Welcome to all the New people to "Our Seasoned Citizens" group as @alteredsteve175 always says!
  • swimmom_1
    @alteredsteve175
    Glad to hear your hanging in there.
  • karlschaeffer
    karlschaeffer Posts: 1,492 Member
    @alteredsteve175 Thinking of you.
  • Pdc654
    Pdc654 Posts: 317 Member
    @alteredsteve175 Hang in there and know we are here for you. I think of you often.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,972 Member
    @ridiculous59: Beautiful outdoor photos! I assumed you had snow there. I actually don't mind snow (except the part where it's too cold/iced-up to row.). I used to XC ski, but a combo of knee damage and osteoporosis make me hesitant to ski solo even with a cell phone, and none of my friends ski anymore.

I do think today's landscape here is quite lovely, too, in case it seemed otherwise.

I don't know whether it's true where you live, but my part of Michigan can give a person weather whiplash in the Winter, let alone the shoulder seasons. As usual, recently it's been way below freezing with and without snow, then can get up into even 50s F (I guess that's 10 C?) and occasionally higher, then we go back to cold and snow, cold then melt, freezing rain, or . . . !

Entertaining, if nothing else!
  • swimmom_1
    AnnPT77 wrote: Ā»
    Welcome to all the new folks, and greetings to those who've been here for a while! Let us know how you're doing with eating, exercise, general fun, or anything else that feels important in your life, eh?
    (snip)

Hope everyone is having a good January. We've almost got 'er beat šŸ™‚

Ya think? šŸ¤£ This all happened yesterday and overnight, poof, starting from bare grass:
    nt9qse4z6ix9.jpg

But this is still there under the new snow blanket, I'm pretty sure, so I guess there's hope. šŸ˜Š
    wgmqvdtaj9xg.jpg

I'm doing fine I guess - by way of update. I'm having a truly minor rotator cuff irritation, doing physical therapy now for that, laying off machine rowing (which doesn't have the effect on it you'd think!) for now, so stationary biking about an hour most days, and starting to do the few strength training exercises I want to and can do with the shoulder situation, alongside the physical therapy exercises.

It's beautiful! We got about 2 inches yesterday in Harrisburg PA area but its gone today! Your second photo, Isn't that called a "Snow drop?"
  • Pdc654
    Let's talk about lasting side effects related to Covid. It's been 13 days since I tested positive and a week since I subsequently tested negative. I did have a pretty high fever, above 102Ā° for about 3 days and a low grade temp for 2 additional days. For the first week I also had bad sinus congestion, sore throat, chills, headache and fatigue. I stayed home an additional week after testing negative, but did 30 minutes of walking in my house each morning that second week, without a problem. Today I returned to the gym thinking I would do my normal Tuesday routine of one hour of water aerobics and then strength training. We'll, I was surprised by the overwhelming fatigue that hit me during the water aerobics class. I got out after 45 minutes ( it's a 60 min class) but I really started feeling it 20 minutes in. About halfway through the class I also got a headache. I took my shower as usual and rested a bit, then headed up to see how the weights would effect me. I only did 3 sets of 3 exercises at reduced weight, maybe a total of 15 min, but that extreme fatigue hit me again and I was shaking by the end. The headache stayed with me for a couple hours after I got home. Has anyone else has anything similar happen, and if so, how long did it take to get back to normal. My usual Tuesday- Thursday routine has been 60 minutes of water aerobics followed by 60 minutes of strength training.
  • AnnPT77
    Pdc654 wrote: Ā»
    Let's talk about lasting side effects related to Covid. It's been 13 days since I tested positive and a week since I subsequently tested negative. I did have a pretty high fever, above 102Ā° for about 3 days and a low grade temp for 2 additional days. For the first week I also had bad sinus congestion, sore throat, chills, headache and fatigue. I stayed home an additional week after testing negative, but did 30 minutes of walking in my house each morning that second week, without a problem. Today I returned to the gym thinking I would do my normal Tuesday routine of one hour of water aerobics and then strength training. We'll, I was surprised by the overwhelming fatigue that hit me during the water aerobics class. I got out after 45 minutes ( it's a 60 min class) but I really started feeling it 20 minutes in. About halfway through the class I also got a headache. I took my shower as usual and rested a bit, then headed up to see how the weights would effect me. I only did 3 sets of 3 exercises at reduced weight, maybe a total of 15 min, but that extreme fatigue hit me again and I was shaking by the end. The headache stayed with me for a couple hours after I got home. Has anyone else has anything similar happen, and if so, how long did it take to get back to normal. My usual Tuesday- Thursday routine has been 60 minutes of water aerobics followed by 60 minutes of strength training.

Everything I'm reading suggests slow, gradual return to normal activity. (But I'm saying that as someone who hasn't had Covid yet, AFAIK.)

There's a thing I ran across that is essentially consensus expert medical advice for coaches and athletes at all levels about return to workouts after Covid. I don't know whether you'd find it helpful in your case, but I'll link it so you can decide whether it seems helpful or not.

https://www.uptodate.com/contents/covid-19-return-to-sport-or-strenuous-activity-following-infection

I hope you'll have a smooth and speedy course to full normal activities!
  • Pdc654
    @AnnPT77 Thank you!! This provides me with a good guidance on how to get back to it. It sounds like what I am experiencing is not unusual and I will listen to my body and stop if I need to. I especially liked their guidance on a structured plan to gradually get back into strength training over 4 weeks based on a reduction of 50/30/20/10 percent reduction from normal in weeks 1-4 of returning to training. This helps.
  • AnnPT77
    edited January 2023
    Pdc654 wrote: Ā»
    @AnnPT77 Thank you!! This provides me with a good guidance on how to get back to it. It sounds like what I am experiencing is not unusual and I will listen to my body and stop if I need to. I especially liked their guidance on a structured plan to gradually get back into strength training over 4 weeks based on a reduction of 50/30/20/10 percent reduction from normal in weeks 1-4 of returning to training. This helps.

I'm so glad it helped you!

Early in the pandemic, a large fraction of the US women's rowing team (i.e., Olympic team) got Covid. This was before the vaccinations or treatments were available. At the time, I knew one of the women on the time, and she posted about her experience. While she was acutely ill, she was so fatigued that she had to sit down and rest part way up the stairs in her condo - a woman who'd been recognized as among the top handful of rowers in the world, a multi-time World and Olympic champion. As she recovered, she reported only being able to achieve a rowing machine pace typical of a reasonably-good high school athlete, far from her norm. Starting from being one of the most fit people imaginable, it was at least a small number of months - from memory, 2 to 3 - before she was back in the region of her normal performance.

I'm not saying that to be discouraging, but rather to say that as regular recreational athletes, even with milder cases now that we have vaxes and treatments, it seems reasonable to give ourselves some time to get back to our previous performance, but that it can happen.

Do you hate it when things take patience and persistence? I know I do! ;)
  • Pdc654
    @AnnPT77. Yes, I hate the idea of not being able to bounce right back after this illness. But patience and persistence, while not being my most favorite mode of operation, is probably the best route to go. Especially as we get older. I would rather go slowly and consistently and get there without injury or other health problems even if it means having to rebuild my strength and endurance over a longer period of time. I'll keep your story of the Olympian rower in mind as a reminder that even young, strong athletes have had to take their time getting back to their normal activities after covid. It might take me longer than 4 weeks. I'll use your article as a guide but I won't feel bad if I need to take longer.