What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    30 min. easy elliptical session. I intended to go 45 min., but pieces of the foot pedal flew off mid-workout. It made for an exciting session! :D

Guess I'll be shopping tomorrow. Oh well. I think I can still use the old one in it's current condition for a little while longer. I think. We'll see.
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    dralicephd wrote: »
    30 min. easy elliptical session. I intended to go 45 min., but pieces of the foot pedal flew off mid-workout. It made for an exciting session! :D

Guess I'll be shopping tomorrow. Oh well. I think I can still use the old one in it's current condition for a little while longer. I think. We'll see.

Happy hunting!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    One might think I couldn't possibly stationary bike slower, but it turns out I can: 60' at 82W, 3' at 83W, overwhelmingly Z2 except in the first few minutes getting started. Plus the physical therapy exercises, of course.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 978 Member
    Wednesday
    I went to a ceilidh for Burn's night. It was fun. The dancing was minor anarchy. I ended up on 35,000 steps for the day. It was good fun, would do again.

Friday
    Climbing. A slight ridiculous flat out 3 hour session. I could barely walk afterwards. It was good fun, I would do again.
  • swimmom_1
    Elliptical Interval setting 150 minutes for 10.03 miles
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 420 Member
    Good workout this morning. Upper-body, core and cardio.

Stretched

36 minutes on the spin bike, heart rate avg/max: 137/164
    28 minutes on the treadmill, heart rate avg/max: 138/153

51 minutes lifting weights:

Superset: Barbell bench press, Wide grip lat pull-downs, Barbell overhead press
    Chest: 10@135, 8@165, 6@185, drop set: 3@205, 4@185, 6@165, 6@145, 8@125
    Back: 10@110, 8@140, 6@160, drop set: 5@180, 6@160, 6@140, 6@120, 8@100
    Shoulders: 10@65, 8@85, 6@105, drop set: 4@125, 4@105, 6@85, 6@65, 8@45

Superset: Triceps press-downs, Crunches, Dumbbell concentration curls, Weighted side bends, Resistance band face pulls.
    Triceps: 10@40, 10@60, drop set 7@80, 8@50
    Crunches: 25, 25, 25
    Curls: 10@30, 8@35, drop set: 6@40, 8@30
    Side Bends: 3*10@30lbs
    Face Pulls: 3@10@60lbs

Stretched

• drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 978 Member
    Climbing, 2.5 hours.
    Decent session, I got about 4 new routes. I flashed a couple of them. I got closer in a couple of projects.

I decided to go for a short walk immediately afterwards, as a warmdown. I got lost so it turned into a 7 mile effort.
  • BigMech
    Good workout this morning. Lower body, core and cardio.

Stretched

32 minutes on the spin bike, heart rate avg/max: 136/161
    26 minutes on the treadmill, heart rate avg/max: 134/148

45 minutes lifting weights:

Wide Stance Leg Press: 15@210, 12@300, 10@390, 10@390, 10@390, drop set: 10@390, 10@300, 12@210
    Crunches: 25, 25, 25, 25
    Barbell Romanian Deadlifts: 12@95, 10@145, 10@145, drop set: 10@145, 10@95
    Kettlebell Side Swings, each side: 4*8@30lbs.

Stretched

I think it's time a de-load this week, I'm feeling a little beat-up so it's time for a little recovery.
  • AnnPT77
    Djproulx wrote: »
    I've done some easy lap swimming, plus a trainer ride and some walking over the last few days. The CT scan on Thursday confirmed that I have a hernia that needs to be addressed. I have an appointment with the surgeon this afternoon, hoping we can get this scheduled and done quickly.

I'm determined not to let this injury put a big crimp in my schedule. We're doing a full kitchen remodel later in February, then leaving for Florida in early March, so I'm hoping surgery can be done during the next few weeks. In the meantime, I'll live vicariously through the regulars posting here!

Well dang, @Djproulx . . . but I hope that will put you on track to even a higher level of functioning post-surgery/recovery after the temporary disruption of routine.

Even if you're not doing much in the way of workouts, it would be nice IMO to hear from you occasionally about how you're doing along that route: You've been such a regular contributor here over a long time.

Wishing you speedy surgery, smooth and speedy recovery!
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited January 2023
    @Djproulx - I'm sorry to hear this. I hope they can get you straightened back out quickly!

Did supersets this AM and then a harder interval row at lunch (on the deck, finally had some decent weather, not too cold or rainy!). Did 4 X 2K with 3 minute recoveries. Averaged around 2:13, so slowly getting some of the lost fitness back, but not coming back as fast as I'd like. I did the same row at 2:10 with one minute rest around four or five months ago (and around 2:07 average pace with similar rest as today).

But today was after a lift and I didn't feel like I was dying, so there's that! Also managed to finish it, which is a huge plus.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    AM
    Yoga (10m)
    Jumprope - 5x2m (10m)

PM
    KB Swing - 10x10r (100)
    24kg
    Dips - 10x5r (50)
    EMOM (20m)
  • swimmom_1
    Djproulx wrote: »
    I've done some easy lap swimming, plus a trainer ride and some walking over the last few days. The CT scan on Thursday confirmed that I have a hernia that needs to be addressed. I have an appointment with the surgeon this afternoon, hoping we can get this scheduled and done quickly.

I'm determined not to let this injury put a big crimp in my schedule. We're doing a full kitchen remodel later in February, then leaving for Florida in early March, so I'm hoping surgery can be done during the next few weeks. In the meantime, I'll live vicariously through the regulars posting here!

I agree with @AnnPT77 Post how your making out.
  • dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    @Djproulx Hang in there! And yes, please keep posting. :)

30 min. elliptical session today followed by a full-body low/body weight strength training session. Part of me feels like I can probably kick up some of the weight, but I'm afraid to do so. Every time I've done that in the past, I've gotten injured. So... I'll just keep on with the same for awhile for muscle maintenance.
  • BigMech
    Good workout this morning. Upper body, core and cardio.

Doing a de-load this week, after 3 months of hitting it hard. Light weight and higher reps for a little active recovery.

Stretched

32 minutes on the spin bike, heart rate avg/max: 135/164
    31 minutes on the treadmill, heart rate avg/max: 139/152

31 minutes lifting weights

Superset: Barbell bench press, Wide grip lat pulldowns, Dumbbell overhead press
    Chest: 4*10@125
    Back: 4*10@100
    Shoulders: 4*10@25

Superset: Cable triceps press-downs, Crunches, Dumbbell curls, Landmine twists, Face Pulls
    Triceps: 3*10@40
    Crunches:3*25
    Biceps: 3*10@20
    Landmine Twists: 3*8@55
    Face Pulls: 3*10@50

Stretched
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Thanks to everyone for the nice comments.

I met with the surgeon yesterday. Turns out I have both right and left side hernia issues, though the left side perforation is very small and doesn't cause any pain.

The surgeon said no restrictions in activity before surgery, so I'll simply stay aware of any
    discomfort and adjust accordingly. Surgery is set for Feb 10th. I can resume a normal routine soon afterwards. I'm encouraged by the surgeon's comments about a quick return to normal activities.

I did a brief yoga practice yesterday and used the foam roller this morning. I'll swim at lunch. Plan is to get in a few swims and trainer rides this week.

Namaste.

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,377 Member
    Fractured humerus head is doing well. Had physio today which mostly consisted of manual therapy, and then I hit their gym and did 3x20 reps for I think 7 or 8 different machines/exercises and spent some time on some reverse rotational thingy and a rower. Looks like I'm currently skipping leg day and focussing totally on upper body. :D I'm thinking of buying a cheap bench so I can do exercises better than on the floor or bed, and I could set up my bar with weights. Granted, I don't want to have this standing in my flat, but for now it would be ok.
  • AnnPT77
    Monday report: Still the stationary bike 60' (92W) + 3' (82W). It was mostly Z2, a little Z3.

Did some small bit of dumbbell stuff, band hamstring curls - increasing something (reps, sets, or weight) on most exercises. Finished with my physical therapy exercises.

BTW, I'm not discouraged by days when I'm slower: LISS has fitness value, it's essential even, and it's easier for me to do longer LISS on the bike vs. rowing machine. Rowing, I'm more likely to want to go for a little faster split.

Last year, after the holidays, I kept rowing/biking volume kind of high (for me), plus added strength training, and sort of overdid total exercise stress. No major bad effects, but I accumulated fatigue and burned out fast. (It's easy for me to burn out on the Winter exercise, which just isn't as fun as the summer versions.)

This year, my theory is that I'll keep the hour bike rides for now, but let intensity there be whatever my energy level leads me to do while not giving it much attention. Usually, that means declining intensity over the week, and a bit of increase after Sunday rest day. Fine by me.

Speaking of which, Sunday was rest day, so all I did was the PT exercises, mild stuff.
  • AnnPT77
    edited January 2023
    dralicephd wrote: »
    @Djproulx Hang in there! And yes, please keep posting. :)

30 min. elliptical session today followed by a full-body low/body weight strength training session. Part of me feels like I can probably kick up some of the weight, but I'm afraid to do so. Every time I've done that in the past, I've gotten injured. So... I'll just keep on with the same for awhile for muscle maintenance.

@dralicephd, can I suggest that if you'd like to increase the challenge, but don't want to increase the weight (yet), there's a really excellent thread by @nossmf (who sometimes posts in this thread) about other ways to increase intensity? It's here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10877279/30-tips-to-increase-strength-training-intensity

I don't know why no one nominated this for "Most Helpful Posts", so I just did, because I think it is. (Feel free - anyone who agrees - to go second the nomination over in Feature Requests, the Nominate Stickies thread near the top.)

DrAlice, I'm very injury averse, so when lifting I usually noodle around under my own inexpert piloting to increase useful stress some other way for a while when I'm kind of on the edge of "will I hurt myself if I increase weight". Eventually, the weight increase feels more viable. The results may not be as good as quickly as the weight increase, but there can be progress nonetheless. Just a thought.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,883 Member
    Thank you for the kind words, @annpt77. Quite often (ok, almost always), your posts are the most comprehensive, well thought out posts in an entire thread. For you to compliment my little addition, that just makes my day. 🤩

Yesterday was an hour on the elliptical, really banged my intensity out of the park. Not sure if it's because I took the weekend off from exercise, or because I was over on calories for the weekend and had energy to burn, but either way it was a great session.

Today was an hour on the treadmill at an average incline of 10.5. This gives my quads a rest from the elliptical, but boy does it do a number on my calves!