WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2023

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    kevrit wrote: »
    Got my haircut yesterday at the beauty school locally. Only $7 but it helps the students learn. The one I had needs a lot more practice. I helped her shape around my face and showed her how to make it even, and showed her a different way to dry hair to give it some lift. Both I learned from hair dressers I went to in the past. She was grateful and her instructor liked what she/me did. LOL I hadn’t had my hair cut for a year and wanted a ‘long shag’ because of the curls in my hair. It sorta came out right but I now have ‘feathers’ here and there. Oh, well. I helped someone learn something new. I’m happy with that, and hair grows back!

On Husbands, my therapist told me that the spouses we pick somehow reflect our father or mother figures as children. Mine is a lot like my father. Actually, both my first and this one were somewhat like him in a lot of ways.

Time to go walking, get my yoga in and arm weights done. I’m going to up my arm weights from 2 lbs. to 3. I’ve also been putting that off lately. But, DH has been hanging around at home with yucky weather so not much room in RV to exercise. I won’t do it outside, embarrassed for anyone to see me.

Laters Ladies!
    Rita

I've been thinking about getting my hair cut ... it's been about 15 or 16 months and I can almost sit on it.

I'd let it keep growing because it's not annoying yet, but I'm kind of wondering if it might be contributing to my headaches.

I went to a beauty school to get it done last time and that was a lovely but very long experience ... took over an hour.

I don't know who my first husband would have been like. But my second is kind of like my parents, I suppose ... intelligent and active.

Can you get a dining tent and do your exercise in there?

Machka in Oz

• Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 2,959 Member
    I did thirty reps of my dumbbells Yay!

Annie in Delaware
  • Machka9
    I'm in the mood to get some chickens. Maybe 3. So I've put on my thinking cap and am looking at possibilities for utilizing sheds and structures I already have or getting/building something new. DH has some nice wood in the shop and fencing. In the past our hens always had the run of the barnyard and were locked up securely at night. Lots to figure out.

Make it a fabulous day, ladies! <3

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

We've thought that if we were able to get a place with a larger flat block of land, we'd expand our orchard a little bit, grow a bigger veggie garden, get another beehive or two ... and get a few hens and a goat.

We are very casually looking at places, mostly online, but ...

There are a lot of ducks that would have to get into a row first.

Our current place is on such a slope that we are limited in what we can do.

M in Oz

• Machka9
    edited February 2023
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Feb 9 Identify a role model who embodies perseverance and two ways to emulate them.
    Pastors wife: 1=show up, 2=smile.

:)

Joe has ultra sound and cat? CT? scan this morning for deviated septum, also low dose CT scan of lungs as former smoker. He’s seems to be positive about the tests, looking forward to treatment to ease his breathing and dry mouth issues. I’m not doing so well concealing my worry.

I hope the scans go well, and from someone who had her deviated septum corrected in 2020 ... the after-surgery is horrible for the first week or so, but when it all starts healing, it's wonderful to be able to breathe!! I never knew that some people could breathe like this their whole lives! I always thought that breathing was a bit of a struggle.

Machka yours to Rosemarie about all foods being processed. Truth that. Believe the concern is for “ultra” processed, but not sure how that’s defined. I’d agree that veggie/fake meat and dairy products qualify as ultra processed, just as canned foods and most frozen meals, due to their salt and preservatives. When we’re told to eat mostly plants I think the Drs mean whole, leafy greens, brassicas, curcibits, fruits, nightshades, nuts, legumes, tubers, even whole grains, not so much soy/corn/grain/nuts masquerading as meat and cheese. I feel the same way about cauliflower "bread/rice/pizza crust." But that takes planning, time and work ;) When is a database not relational? When there are no links between tables? Or???
    Machka, Katla, and especially Barbie’s “…if I want my car detailed, I can hire someone” Ditto. Despite the occasional frustration I am so grateful for Joe, his attitude, his protection, his care. No trade-ins here!

My work colleague keeps wanting to create more tables to group the data and create "baskets" or "buckets" of data.
    ????????????????????

I (and others) keep telling her that's done through queries.
    She looks puzzled for a moment, then tells us, "Yes, yes, but we need to group the data."

I've tried to explain that in a table, at least one of the columns will have data that will allow us to group the data when we run a query. It might be a date column - a query will allow us to find all the data on a certain date. Or it could be a method column - a query will allow us to find all the data that was collected using a certain method ...

And she tells me those things need to be in their own tables and that the data needs to be in a hierarchy.

<<as I softly bang my head against my monitor>>

One "diet" that is quite good and often recommended is the Mediterranean diet.

Mediterranean Diet 101: A Meal Plan and Beginner’s Guide
    https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/mediterranean-diet-meal-plan

How to follow it
    Eat: vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, legumes, potatoes, whole grains, herbs, spices, fish, seafood, and extra virgin olive oil
    Eat in moderation: poultry, eggs, cheese, and yogurt
    Eat rarely: red meat, sugar-sweetened beverages, added sugars, processed meat, refined grains, refined oils, and other highly processed foods

The article goes into a lot more detail about the benefits and more specifically about what foods to eat.

Generally speaking, my husband and I eat like this but we don't eat much fish - we eat poultry instead.

I figure if a person is eating a lot of fresh (or frozen) fruit and veg, with some whole grains and yogurt, there isn't much room left for other stuff.

Another article:
    https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/324221#mediterranean-diet

Machka in Oz
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 2,959 Member
    I thought my diet was Mediterranean but I guess not really. I eat too much chicken, and daily eggs and yogurt, and then a bit of honey in my green tea. And the bit of chocolate. And the mangoes aren't Mediterranean. I only eat fish/seafood twice a week because of the mercury issues.

The studies show the Mediterranean diet is an excellent very healthy choice.

Annie in Delaware
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,637 Member
    Well remind me not to have a diet soda at 1 pm in the afternoon.. because im still awake
  • Machka9
    edited February 2023
    I thought my diet was Mediterranean but I guess not really. I eat too much chicken, and daily eggs and yogurt, and then a bit of honey in my green tea. And the bit of chocolate. And the mangoes aren't Mediterranean. I only eat fish/seafood twice a week because of the mercury issues.

The studies show the Mediterranean diet is an excellent very healthy choice.

Annie in Delaware

Mangos do fall into "a variety of fruit". :)

I absolutely love mangos, but they are quite high in calories (over 200 cal/mango), so I limit my intake to maybe 1 or 2 a week during the mango season.

M in Oz
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    <3
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,896 Member
    exermom wrote: »
    Did Sara Kooperman’s Retro Low to Go DVD then went to BK. They asked me to also do a few containers of lettuce. Now, in addition to the onions that I wanted to do, I also do a few tomatoes for them, and now a few lettuce. I have a feeling that this is going to be every Thursday. The store manager did tell me that if there are 4 or fewer containers when I come in on Thurs, would I do 3 more? What did I say? So I guess it was a blessing in disguise that I couldn’t sign up for the Green Room.

Got cans of V8 to take in the car while we’re traveling. Interesting, the 5.5oz can was 30 calories. The ones I just got, 8oz, also says it’s 30 calories. How can this possibly be? Looking at MFP’s database, it looks like the 8oz is like 70 calories. So why does the wrapper say only 30?

I enjoy washing, waxing, detailing my car. For one thing at least I know that it’s the way I want it.

Tracey – how I miss the ceramics and can’t wait for them to open again. To me, it’s just so relaxing.

Michele NC

Check the fine print on the V8- it might say there are two servings or something like that.
    You know those bowl salads- the premade ones that come with ONE fork?? Some of them are actually two servings- if you glance at it, you think you are doing great with the calories but then read the print a little closer and you just ate two servings or more. They should put the total per container when it is packed for one person.

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,432 Member
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,896 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    kevrit wrote: »
    Got my haircut yesterday at the beauty school locally. Only $7 but it helps the students learn. The one I had needs a lot more practice. I helped her shape around my face and showed her how to make it even, and showed her a different way to dry hair to give it some lift. Both I learned from hair dressers I went to in the past. She was grateful and her instructor liked what she/me did. LOL I hadn’t had my hair cut for a year and wanted a ‘long shag’ because of the curls in my hair. It sorta came out right but I now have ‘feathers’ here and there. Oh, well. I helped someone learn something new. I’m happy with that, and hair grows back!

On Husbands, my therapist told me that the spouses we pick somehow reflect our father or mother figures as children. Mine is a lot like my father. Actually, both my first and this one were somewhat like him in a lot of ways.

Time to go walking, get my yoga in and arm weights done. I’m going to up my arm weights from 2 lbs. to 3. I’ve also been putting that off lately. But, DH has been hanging around at home with yucky weather so not much room in RV to exercise. I won’t do it outside, embarrassed for anyone to see me.

Laters Ladies!
    Rita

I've been thinking about getting my hair cut ... it's been about 15 or 16 months and I can almost sit on it.

I'd let it keep growing because it's not annoying yet, but I'm kind of wondering if it might be contributing to my headaches.

I went to a beauty school to get it done last time and that was a lovely but very long experience ... took over an hour.

I don't know who my first husband would have been like. But my second is kind of like my parents, I suppose ... intelligent and active.

Can you get a dining tent and do your exercise in there?

Machka in Oz

I wish my hair would grow like that. It is supppper slow growing. I haven't cut it in years, just the occasional trim that I do myself. Put it in a braid and cut the last inch off- not a lot to cut off. I have not cut my hair, more than just a trim in over 40 yrs

• Machka9
    edited February 2023
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    exermom wrote: »
    Did Sara Kooperman’s Retro Low to Go DVD then went to BK. They asked me to also do a few containers of lettuce. Now, in addition to the onions that I wanted to do, I also do a few tomatoes for them, and now a few lettuce. I have a feeling that this is going to be every Thursday. The store manager did tell me that if there are 4 or fewer containers when I come in on Thurs, would I do 3 more? What did I say? So I guess it was a blessing in disguise that I couldn’t sign up for the Green Room.

Got cans of V8 to take in the car while we’re traveling. Interesting, the 5.5oz can was 30 calories. The ones I just got, 8oz, also says it’s 30 calories. How can this possibly be? Looking at MFP’s database, it looks like the 8oz is like 70 calories. So why does the wrapper say only 30?

I enjoy washing, waxing, detailing my car. For one thing at least I know that it’s the way I want it.

Tracey – how I miss the ceramics and can’t wait for them to open again. To me, it’s just so relaxing.

Michele NC

Check the fine print on the V8- it might say there are two servings or something like that.
    You know those bowl salads- the premade ones that come with ONE fork?? Some of them are actually two servings- if you glance at it, you think you are doing great with the calories but then read the print a little closer and you just ate two servings or more. They should put the total per container when it is packed for one person.

That's a pet peeve of mine!

At one time, one of those 600 ml bottles of coke used to be something ridiculous like 1.45 servings. I don't know of any one who would drink their serving and then hand the remain 0.45 to a friend.

I was so disappointed to find that one of my favourite couscous brands, which sold "lunch" packets that you could heat up and eat for lunch, was actually 2 servings.

I'm like my mother ... we've both got a lot of hair and it grows well and fast. Mine does something like 6-8 inches a year. It's one of the reasons I don't like it short. When I was a lot younger, I'd get a cute short cut and then I'd have to go back to the hairdresser all the time, or poof, it was all shaggy again.

I'd have to go at least once a month to maintain a short cut, and at $25/cut, that's $300/year. Wearing my hair long means I go anywhere from 12 to 18 months without cutting it.

M in Oz
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    <3
    Betsy in NW WA
  • Machka9
    edited February 2023
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Only if you're interested in doing something like this as we go along ...

Feel Good Feb and/or Exercising the Alphabet in February
    Feel Good Feb
    zdlnh64mq3da.png
    https://www.actbelongcommit.org.au/programs-initiatives/feelgood-feb/

Exercising the Alphabet in February

In other words, on February 1, you'd walk to a street that starts with A or do an exercise video hosted by someone whose name starts with A or something ... A.

On February 2, you'd go swimming at a Beach or play a game of Baseball or something ... B.

On February 3, you'd go Cycling or Climb some stairs or something ... C.

and so on.

There are, of course, 26 letters in the alphabet and 28 days in February, so you'd have 2 free days if you didn't exercise those days or couldn't fit in the next letter of the alphabet.
    I have listed several January highlights so that meets the calendar suggestion for February 1...

And I walked to the Asian "dollar store" next to the Asian grocers and bought Art supplies at lunch today. That'll be my A. :)

Put myself in someone else's shoes --- I've been treating my difficult work colleague with kindness by talking to her about her son, complimenting her skirt, talking quietly and gently to her and so on.

And today, I walked to Bathurst Street to Buy some Books. I also climbed stairs in my Building. :)

Watch a movie that reminds me of kindness --- probably not tonight!

C is for Climbing and walking on Collins St!

Take a picture of three things that make you happy --

aocs3725u6ly.png
    42vpz698ig8s.png
    qaqbrf33a1dz.png

D is for exercising Downstairs!
    Rowing - 16 minutes
    Walking - 38 minutes
    Weights - 10 minutes

Be kind to yourself -- Sleep, gardening and cycling! :)

E is for Exercising!
    Plus we cycled on Endeavour Ave and the Esplanade. :)

Start a conversation with someone new --- I'm not the sort to strike up random conversations, or conversations at all. But I did chat with a person I met recently and one I haven't seen in a few months today.

And ... F!
    mcuvbtguykqt.png

Consider a current struggle. Write down two thoughts that bring you comfort.

Hmmm ... A current struggle, like only one? Let's go with waiting. I feel like I spend most of my life waiting.

wrt353eh66bk.png
    x3f3p2wdopwq.png
    9g49r21ubbnn.png

And a walk to the botanical Gardens through the rose Garden!
    jrhi6g59mua4.png

Consider and celebrate diversity! Does that include people who look at things completely differently than you do? If so ... woohoo! I've had that opportunity today!

H is for Hobart - walking around. And Hanging clothes outside.

Identify a role model who embodies perseverance and find 2 ways to emulate them.

Well, I don't have role models ... and I've persevered as much or possibly even more than many people I know.

However, today was brought to you by the letter I. I did walk by and around IMAS (Institute for Marine and Antarctic Studies).

Check an item off your to do list this weekend!

YES! I tidied a shelf in the kitchen. I've been meaning to do that for months but finally did it today. There was a large quantity of rubbish on that shelf ... more than I thought. So, much of the cleaning process was just throwing things out.

I've also been dusting our entertainment unit and all the stuff on it.

And I went outside and tidied the area right in front of our front door which involved moving a whole bunch of pots and other garden things to a different location and then sweeping out a year's worth of leaves and stuff. I climbed up and down and up and down stairs doing that.

This evening I made an attempt at digging the area I want to plant things next to my dry stream. I got a new spade which is great, but even so, there are so many roots, I'll need to use something else to break it up.

Just getting rid of Junk and Jabbing the Soil

Machka in Oz