WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2023

Replies

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Need help with my "Listening..." homework. Would anyone share an example of when they really just needed to be heard, but others talked over them or snowed them with advice.?

Thanks!
    Lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    2023: Be of good cheer.
    February: Move more, fuel better, live NOW.

Just live a day with me! I am constantly being talked over. It's one of the main reasons I like communicating through the written word rather than talking and will often send an email first before attempting to speak to someone.

If I really want to say something, I will just keep talking even though I am being talked over and I will do it slightly louder.

Otherwise I will stop talking and roll my eyes and the moment they take a breath, I'll say, "As I was saying ..."

M in Oz

Barbara & Machka I think social anxiety, passion, hearing difficulties, know-it-all-ism, and gender all contribute to talking over people. I tend to talk over people when I am passionate about something, but I am keenly aware of social cues, so I immediately know what I have done and apologize for interrupting and ask the other person to please continue. If I am talked over, I don’t resume my comments unless it’s important for some reason - conveying accurate information to someone, or explaining something the other person really needs to understand (this mostly applied at work prior to retirement). Otherwise, I just figure I was being boring. I’m not always the most interesting conversationalist, LOL. t0817.gif

Karen in Virginia

• drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,938 Member
    Allie, what size are those gorgeous slippers? Asking for a friend!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    <3
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    Another busy week.

I worked Monday to Thursday. Wednesday I work from home between about 11 am and 6 pm, and then I worked a bit longer than my usual hours on Thursday. I've been working on my Project Plan - updating it and promoting it, as well as starting to create a model of what this project could produce. All the while, dealing with one person who has been horrified by it all (my difficult work colleague), and another person who wishes it would all just go away. So it has been exciting, stressful and full-on.

On Wednesday morning, my husband had a biopsy and I was there in the room (although on the other side of the curtain) to make sure he would be OK. Then I brought him home so he could sleep and I continued to work.

In the evenings, I was tired (as always), but I did manage to get some paperwork etc. done ...more documents for our legal situation, bills, my club AGM (via Zoom), dealing with the fact that a club member couldn't organise a couple events (he had an accident) - we cancelled one and another club member took over the other. I just tried to get at least one thing done each evening.

I walked 16.83 km and climbed 22 flights of stairs.

Now I'm in a 4 day weekend.

Today, Friday, is the first day off ... so I've organised and dusted several things in my living/dining area. I scrubbed the outside of the stove/oven. I've touched up the bathroom and toilet room. And I did a bit of work outside in the garden - tidying up and digging.

It's nearly 11 pm on Friday, and I'm resting ... and watching a show about houses.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    edited February 2023
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Need help with my "Listening..." homework. Would anyone share an example of when they really just needed to be heard, but others talked over them or snowed them with advice.?

Thanks!
    Lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    2023: Be of good cheer.
    February: Move more, fuel better, live NOW.

Just live a day with me! I am constantly being talked over. It's one of the main reasons I like communicating through the written word rather than talking and will often send an email first before attempting to speak to someone.

If I really want to say something, I will just keep talking even though I am being talked over and I will do it slightly louder.

Otherwise I will stop talking and roll my eyes and the moment they take a breath, I'll say, "As I was saying ..."

M in Oz

Barbara & Machka I think social anxiety, passion, hearing difficulties, know-it-all-ism, and gender all contribute to talking over people. I tend to talk over people when I am passionate about something, but I am keenly aware of social cues, so I immediately know what I have done and apologize for interrupting and ask the other person to please continue. If I am talked over, I don’t resume my comments unless it’s important for some reason - conveying accurate information to someone, or explaining something the other person really needs to understand (this mostly applied at work prior to retirement). Otherwise, I just figure I was being boring. I’m not always the most interesting conversationalist, LOL. t0817.gif

Karen in Virginia

Yeah, if I figure that what I'm saying isn't earth shattering news or something, I will stop talking ... and occasionally, I will turn and walk away while the other person is talking because if what I'm saying is just "small talk" that doesn't matter, chances are what the other person is saying is also "small talk" that doesn't matter.

In my experience the gender thing is pretty close to 50/50 with a slight edge going to women. Women tend to talk over me slightly more than men do. And I'm slightly more inclined to walk away from another woman talking if she has talked over me. Men are slightly more likely to have something interesting to say which can keep me there ... something about science or engineering or sports etc.

M in Oz

• Machka9
    kymarai wrote: »
    Machka Your hair is beautiful but looks heavy. It could easily be contributing to the headaches. I have a friend that not only had long hair but was also a triple G bra! Her headaches were AWFUL! She finally was able to get a breast reduction and cut her hair to between her shoulder blades and rarely got headaches after that. If my hair was thicker, it would be longer. It has just gotten so thin.

Better get off here and get ready for work.

Make the best choices you can today!
    Appreciate the little things in your life today.
    Hug those you love tightly.

<3
    Kylia in Ohio

My hair is thick and heavy ... and although I gain weight all over, I become very hourglass as I gain weight so my pull over sports bras are currently 3XL, at least.

About 15 or 16 months ago, I had it cut to about an inch above my waist and it did feel lighter. I like it the length it is or even a bit longer, but I may indeed need to consider my head and neck.

M in Oz

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,284 Member
    Rosemarie - good luck with your new food choices! I understand how having restricted access to your kitchen at times can limit your ability to prepare food and cook.

I was in a hurry to dash off my post yesterday and forgot to mention something else I consider when buying prepared/processed foods. If they are high in fat and/or added sugar and low in fiber and protein, that's a dead giveaway for me. I can overlook a few unpronounceable additions, probably preservatives, if the food is otherwise in the good category and something I really want. So WW meals and Lean Cuisine type meals aren't that bad, as well as protein shakes and bars.

Machka and Annie - thanks for the reminder about the Mediterranean Diet. I refer to that food list plus Blue Zone suggestions when I run out of ideas.

Debbie - I looked at the Safeway weekly ad circular more closely this morning since I'm heading out to shop in a bit. I DO see Dungeness at $5.99 a pound! Yessiree! I'll see what the pull date is and pick one up if it looks nice.

I see oysters are coming into season and will maybe grab some of those next week. If Safeway doesn't have them, a friend who has a mom & pop store has them brought in from the coast on Fridays. Might be a bit fresher. I'm not real good at cooking them, but can always do oyster stew. Trying to get more seafood into my diet other than canned tuna and sardines.

Make it a fabulous Friday! <3

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,432 Member
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    <3
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,750 Member
    Pg. 25 done. Headed to vampires. Catch up later!

Word of the year: APPRECIATE; today I appreciate my health.
    #2 Practice fairness today by putting yourself in someone else’s shoes: I did this with a camper who I received complaints about. I put myself in his shoes when speaking with him. He was a very lonely man who only had his dogs (one barking, one loose) and the people he meets at campgrounds. Made me more compassionate when talking to him about the dogs.

#3 Watch a movie that reminds you of kindness. I watched the Adam Project.
    #4 Take a picture of 3 things that make you happy. Send them to a friend. Done!
    #5 Be kind to yourself. Self-compassion is equally important. Will do today.
    #6 Start a conversation with someone new. I do this every day with the campers!
    #7 Consider a current struggle. Write down 2 thoughts that give you comfort. My dog Brownie’s heart trouble. Her spells are getting worse and there is nothing the vet can do. Comforting thoughts—She lived a good life with us. She brought us many days of comfort and enjoyment with her loving attitude.
    #8. Consider and celebrate diversity today. I am a white girl living among darker Mexicans and native Americans. Campers come from around the world and love to hear the accents and learn about the different cultures i come into contact with. Do this every day!
    #9. Identify a role model who embodies perseverance. Can you find two ways to emulate them? My 30 year old autistic nephew. He never gives up no matter what health challenge he faces. I can emulate him by not complaining about every little ache and pain, and by doing what needs to be done to get through any health issues that may come up.
    #10. Check an item off your to-do list this weekend. Working on my taxes.
    #11. Make twice as much for dinner and either invite guests or deliver the meal to a friend.
    #12. Make a list for the week ahead so you stay focused.
    #13. Consider a recent disagreement. Did you extend forgiveness?
    #14. Express creativity by making art or cooking a new meal.
    #15. If you are waiting in line today, let someone get in front of you.
    #16. The next time someone does something you appreciate, be sure to let them know.
    #17. Offer a helping hand to someone, such as holding a door for a stranger.
    #18. Share about a recent book you read and what you learned.
    #19. Show sincere appreciation when someone serves you food or drink.
    #20. Complement someone today. Ideas include recognizing a great smile or earrings.
    #21. When you recognize someone is struggling, offer words of support.
    #22. Ask for help. That’s a simple way to express bravery.
    #23. Encourage your teammates to utilize their unique strengths.
    #24. Reflect on the steps you have taken to achieve your past goals.
    #25. Express gratitude today by thanking someone.
    #26. Think about the upcoming work week. How can you apply teamwork?
    #27. Send or leave a handwritten thank you note to someone.
    #28. Giving constructive feedback is one way to ignite honesty.

RVRita
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,287 Member
    o:)
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,385 Member
    💖
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,750 Member
    Back from lab work and went to ihop as I have a gift card for them. Found hi protein pancakes with ricotta, strawberries and blueberries. Only ate half as it was very filling and 700 calories for the whole thing! Saved the rest for tomorrow’s breakfast. Lol

I read somewhere once that if the product you want to by or use has more than 5 ingredients in it, do not get it. I try to stick to that rule of thumb when buying anything premade.

Rita
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,896 Member
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) About husbands. One day I heard that my friend's husband detailed her car regularly for her and I was so envious until I realized that her husband had so many qualities that were unpleasant and mine was perfect in so many ways that I wouldn't trade him for anyone. If I want my car detailed, I can hire someone

Mine cleans the van out, vacuums it, washes the windows inside and out etc. but not in minute detail. He does that before most of our trips somewhere. He likes it to be presentable. :)

M in Oz

my husband details his car ALL the time and does mine and the van. I half way joked when he got his car that he paid more attention and spent more time with his car than he did with me. It was true but he thought I was just joking. He would wipe it down every inch of it after he would get home each time.
    He has had it for 3 yrs now and still is constantly wiping it down but not as much as he was. Vacuums it at least once a week(he is obsessed with vacuuming in the house and in his cars or using the leaf blower in the yard)