Senior Golden Sneakers

Replies

• OhDD65
    OhDD65 Posts: 177 Member
    Sweet friends....please take care of yourselves and get some rest. This has been a hard winter for everyone. Praying that John and Babe get the help that they need right now. It seems it is one thing or another for all of us. Everyone has been touched with something this winter. Spring can't come soon enough this year. Thinking of you Patsy, Sandy, Anne, Jackie, Lin and others that I have missed.

<3<3 Diane
  • jacAth3
    jacAth3 Posts: 1,684 Member
    edited February 2023
    Hello friends. It’s certainly been a shaky start to the year but I’m hoping things can only get better. I agree Diane, Spring can’t come soon enough.
    Sandy, I’m thinking of you and what you are going through as Babe continues to struggle but it does sound as if he’s getting the best care.
    Patsy, I’m relieved to hear you are receiving visits from a nurse who I’m sure will make sure you are behaving yourself.

It’s been another grey, cold day in Cornwall so after our usual walk on the moors I lit the main fire and had a quiet day at home. Brady has barely moved off my bed but that’s normal after his annual booster. It seems to knock the stuffing out of him but I’m sure he will be out by midnight to patrol the neighbourhood. The vet we saw adored him and admitted she preferred cats as he rolled on his back for a tummy rub when she did her best to administer the booster! Betty has been sick a few times too which I take to be a reaction or it might be the small treats in the form of tiny pieces of cooked liver the vet gave her because she does struggle with anything rich. I know, TMI!

Nothing else to report so I’ll get myself off to bed.
    Jackie 🥰
  • Loveburg87
    Loveburg87 Posts: 452 Member
    edited February 2023
    DIANE, you are so right about a shaky start to the year for everyone or loved ones. I have mixed feelings about spring although not spring exactly, more summer. It’s so weird here in Canada. We are having a few days of record breaking temperatures before we plummet again. Today it was 15 C or 62F, unheard of in February! With climate warming if we enjoy 15C in February, what on earth will summer be like!

Today, apart from the warmth we had a tremendous wind. The garage door was shut and locked but the wind blew the door open still in the locked position when I went to close and lock it again. The fence remained upright but Marks prop blew down.

I’m so grieved everyone it seems is having a hard time with ill health. Actually I will close this right now and check how everyone is doing on the previous page.

ANNE.

PS. Marks on his way over to check the fence and door. Oh no! I’m in my jam jams and settling down for the evening. A sight to behold! Lol.
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,075 Member
    edited February 2023
    Good evening. Quite concerned for our dear unwell Sneakers and family members. Thinking of you and sending wishes for restored health.

I did a small grocery order today. Everyone was apparently raiding the stores as a winter storm is on the way. We are kind of in an uncertain area here. Some forecast say 6 to 9” or more. Other forecasts say 3 to 6”. 🤞🏻🤞🏻 All of our snow had disappeared. Oh well, it is winter. ❄️❄️

I am still doing the usual things. Prepping and cutting for card projects. And working my way through the stack of library books.

I also did one load of laundry. How exciting.

Hoping for brighter days my friends.

Lin 🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

hxknn0grwvy5.jpeg
  • OhDD65
    OhDD65 Posts: 177 Member
    Looking for ideas for meals other than eggs, fish, chicken, veggies, salad and fruit. A regular drs appt Friday turned into a somewhat scary thing. Never in my life has my BP been this high. Meds increased and I am being watched. So now it is a low salt and low sugar diet. And I thought it was a annual routine appointment. Rattled me a bit for sure since we lost my Dad at 60 with a heart attack. My genetics aren't good. Grilled cheese and onion sandwiches for dinner because I am so burnt out on
    all of the above. Appreciate a few suggestions please.

<3<3 Diane
  • Loveburg87
    Well, I’m typical old fashioned English so my meals probably won’t appeal but on Saturday when Mike comes over I will make shepherds pie with minced chicken rsther than minced beef, and I also make Cornish pasties with loads of veggies and a little minced chicken. My own homemade pastry. Today I’m having a meatless day and making a sort of veggie stew with a bit of pasta and a potato thrown in to give it body. Carrot soup is another very tasty dish to have with crackers because I have a yeast allergy and bread is a no no these days. A lunch meal of course followed by salad. Yesterday I had spaghetti for lunch.

I’ll stop at this point because I’m sure everyone will have more interesting ideas.

I’ve just cleaned up and wouldn’t you guess Marks turned up to sand the walls before painting.

ANNE
  • linder4866
    Diane, did your doctor recommend the DASH diet? I know several people who reduced their blood pressure with this. Very low sodium and sugar. I will send you an email….

I don’t have any recipes to share. I do try to purchase as many salt free products as I can find.

We are having a snow day here. Lots of car accidents, schools closed, etc. I am so glad I no longer have to drive to work.

Take care my friends.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️
  • Loveburg87
    LIN, I forgot about the DASH diet, partly because on the whole I naturally eat like that. Good tip. Anne.
  • jacAth3
    Diane, your food choices look healthy to me and are similar to mine. I participate in a scientific research group that since the start of Covid has been increasing its interest in health issues and when it comes to our blood pressure they advocate an undisturbed sleep pattern, daily exercise and although I don’t do this, avoid caffeine! Salt and sugar are definite no-no’s!! Blood pressure increases as we get older and they emphasis the importance of keeping to prescribed tablets because an amazing number of people don’t but instead throw them down the loo! They are guiding me towards a plant based diet so I might try their next research programme to see if it makes a difference. Watch this space!

We managed to avoid any rain during our morning walk and when we got home I cleaned out the hen house,discovering a couple of eggs in a corner, then cut up kindling wood. It was freezing on the moors but relatively mild at home where it’s sheltered from the wind so I don’t think I will need to light a fire. Another sparrow fell down the chimney just now and luckily the ashes had cooled so I did my usual trick of cupping my hands around its little body and releasing it outside, after scolding it for pecking my fingers!

Anne, our State pension is going up so you might be pleasantly surprised. I don’t receive a full pension because of my time in Canada but every little bit helps although living in England, they give with one hand and take away with the other, even us pensioners!

I’ve just enjoyed a cup of tea and with great difficulty, persuaded myself I didn’t need a chocolate digestive but instead will eat my evening meal earlier. Green salad, a baked jacket potato and oily tinned herring but it’s desserts I fall down on so will probably be totally decadent and indulge in a cheesecake flavoured yogurt.

No news from Sandy but keeping her in my thoughts along with our poorly Patsy.
    Away to bake that spud!
    Jackie 🥰
  • Loveburg87
    Ah JACKIE, I wish, but I don’t expect my Br. pension to go up. It’s the same as when I received it 22 years ago. The only fluctuation is the exchange rate. It is still useful though for paying the electricity bill - so far. My works pension is also the same amount as 22 years ago, it never increases. So the longer I live the poorer I get. No big deal, at least the Canadian old age pension goes up periodically and is now worth more than my work pension. It WAS the other way round, lol. The good news was though I was at my richest when FLo and I went a-sightseeing in our late sixties, early seventies so no complaints. Jilly benefits the most on any leftover pocket money as in treats.

ANNE.
  • linder4866
    Good evening…….almost forgot my daily teapot!

bg4z5k9dkkvc.jpeg

The snow stopped late this afternoon.

Thinking of you.

Lin🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Cold out today. I am still in recover mode. Katie and John are my nurses. Katie is oddly subdued since I have been sick. I am hoping I regain some strength soon. Existing on frozen TV casseroles is horrible. But I can’t cook yet and canned soups are not appealing.
    Stay well dear friends,
    Patsy☘️
  • Loveburg87
    Hi PATSY, so good to know you are in recovery mode. However, make sure you FULLY rest and so get back to being the PATSY we all enjoy. Good girl Katie, look after Mom.
    Hugs from ANNE and a face wash from BEAN. ❤️❤️
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,028 Member
    edited February 2023
    https://oaksfh.com/death-notices/
    My heart is broken.
  • Loveburg87
    SANDY, I am so very sorry. Anne.
  • jwubben6600
    jwubben6600 Posts: 1,677 Member
    Oh my dearest Sandy, I can’t tell you how very sorry I am for your loss. There are no words of comfort that helps I know. I so wish I could be at your side to help in whatever way I could. Please know this, you were a comfort and loving companion when he needed it the most. Ever at his side, constantly trying to find answers to his health issues. The issues were just too huge. I know all of the sneakers are saddened by your grief and suffering. I will never stop thinking about you, my beautiful friend. My prayers are with you and family.
    Patsy☘️
  • linder4866
    edited February 2023
    Hello.

Sandy, I hope your family is standing by you. ❤️❤️ One day at a time for sure.

Patsy, oh darn, you need a cook! Who can you draft? Is Damon able to visit? Maybe he could purchase some tastier options. Keep resting and recuperating.

Anne, Jackie, Diane, Barbie and Jeri—Hello, sending best wishes to everyone.

It was quite cold here today but warmer temperatures are expected tomorrow.

Lin 🙋🏼‍♀️
    ❤️❤️

94o52xavj13u.jpeg

• jacAth3
    Dear Sandy, I’m so terribly sorry for your loss. You were Babe’s rock these past few months and put all your energy into finding answers, may he rest in peace. I know you will have the love and support of your family as you give yourself time to grieve.

Hugs, Jackie 🥰❤️
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,905 Member
    :'(<3Sandy, I am so sorry. You were there for Babe for so long. He knew he was loved.
  • jacAth3
    Our miserable weather continues so I’m finding it a struggle to get motivated but have plans to clean the shower room and also trim George’s hair around his eyes because in the damp air it falls across his eyes. It looks cute but I think he would prefer to see.
    I’m contemplating adopting another rescue cat I’ve noticed is looking for a home. He’s a little cutie and being 10 years old might get overlooked. This link might take you to his page.
    https://www.nawt.org.uk/rehoming/animal/1326/

Patsy, I’m worrying about you and John because you need nutritious food right now and I’m not sure shop bought frozen meals will offer that. Would your kind neighbour with the chainsaw do a shop for you both?
    Dogs are amazingly intuitive when it comes to our emotional state or wellbeing and I’m glad Katie is reading the room by giving you a quieter time. You will know you are getting better when she goes back to tearing about!

Anne, money isn’t everything is it and like you, my pets get priority over anything I might think I need. I am trying to think of a special reminder of Chrissie I can buy with the money she left me in her Will. I miss our chats and the laughter we enjoyed about so many silly events. Perhaps a new garden seat.

Well, this won’t get my shower room cleaned but first I have to find somewhere to put a soaked dog bed I tried to wash in my washing machine after Betty was sick in it. It became so heavy when wet, the machine couldn’t do a spin cycle and when I tried an extra rinse and spin programme it became even heavier. No point putting it out in the rain!

Sandy, you are in my thoughts today and I hope Babe’s family show you the respect you deserve. Sending hugs. ❤️

Hello Lin. Has your snow cleared away? Too early to be thinking about what veggies you might grow this year but still, not long to Spring now!

Jackie 🥰