60 yrs and up

Replies

• spinnerdell
    spinnerdell Posts: 231 Member
    I cook the beans first for chili so that I can control how much liquid is in the final product. I'm usually all for dumping everything together, but some dishes come out better with a little fiddling. The half-cooked idea sounds worth trying.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,129 Member
    Cook the beans most or all of the way before adding anything acidic, like tomatoes. You can add the spices so they get inside the beans, but my gut tells me wait to add acidic things.

How long until someone from Texas chastises you for even considering putting beans in chili?
  • BCLadybug888
    BCLadybug888 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Lol, to me it's not chili without the beans!
    Thanks folks.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    So true, @ridiculous59! I've been mostly doing indoor exercise out of some sense of duty (kind of on the same basis as tooth-brushing, treating it as a thing I Just Do, not something I have a choice about ;) ).

Today, I got out for a short walk (little over 3 miles) with one of my friends. It was a little warmer than usual (around 40F / 5C) and a rare sunny day, really nice to be outdoors. There were surprisingly many bicyclists on the trails, making me think maybe I've been too hesitant about getting out my bike on these rare nicer days, and instead stationary biking indoors.

How is everyone else doing?

New folks, how is the "learning MFP" thing going? Have you found a way to make some progress? If you're having challenges, can others here help in some way? Speak up!

Long timers, what's going on with you?

I hope everyone's doing great! :)
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Greetings. Haven't checked in here in about three weeks.
    Typing this on my phone, and I can't insert pictures. AARRGGHH! Oh well. I went snowshoeing a couple of weeks ago. Very enjoyable and a good workout. Will certainly do that again. The trip was capped with an one hour soak in a hot springs. A bald eagle flew by the end of the pool. It was a glorious day!

No changes here with my wife's situation. Just the day after day grind for everyone involved.

Weight is holding steady. It's good practice for maintenance when I finally reach my goal.

I do read the posts here from time to time. Y'all are an inspiration. Keep up your great efforts!

I was actually wondering about you yesterday. Glad you had an enjoyable day and are hanging in there with your day to day.
  • trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 251 Member
    Welcome BB
  • karlschaeffer
    karlschaeffer Posts: 1,492 Member
    @BCLadybug888 Well Done! Great news about your IF progress. I’ve seen a few articles lately questioning the efficacy of IF for weight loss, but none mentioned insulin levels etc. I think that’s the main benefit of IF. Again. Well Done!
  • listvanek61
    listvanek61 Posts: 3 Member
    Please, please add me. I need all of the motivation I can get. I am getting married in August and would like to be down at least 20 to 30 pounds before then.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Welcome, @listvanek61. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. You're in the right place for some support and sensible advice.
  • BCLadybug888
    BCLadybug888 Posts: 1,234 Member
    swimmom_1 wrote: »
    It's been awhile but I think I'm starting to get my head back in the "right mindset" again. I've lost 5 lbs so far this month.

Yay you! 😘
  • sandramarshall200
    sandramarshall200 Posts: 106 Member
    Hi, I couldn’t post for ages, but still logging. Hit a plateau, but slowly beginning to lose again. . I wish I had snow.
    I have been swimming a lot which I love.
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 976 Member
    @sandramarshall200 Feel free to come to CO and take all of my snow!
  • sandramarshall200
    @MaggieGirl135 . I would love to. Where is CO? I am in England.
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 976 Member
    Sorry, CO is Colorado. I live in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains, southwest of Denver, at slightly less than 8,000’. Denver promotes itself as the mile high city (which it is!), but I live half of that again, lol. Actually, we got probably a bit less than a half a foot two days ago with no more anticipated for ~5 days. It will probably melt off in the next couple days in the blazing Colorado sun, so come quickly! (Of course, there’s plenty more a bit west—at the ski resorts!)
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Opened a cough drop early this AM. The wrapper has some inspirational sayings and I think they apply to us.
    -Conquer today
    -Let's hear your battle cry
    -Push on
    -Be resilient
    -Don't give up on you
    -Impress yourself today.
    All of these on a little cough drop wrapper!!!!
  • sandramarshall200
    Wow Maggiegirl. That sounds lovely. We are possibly going to have some snow next week, so I may get mywish without the long flight( I hate flying!) won’t get mountains though, I live in the flat Midlands.