Food inspiration, or what's for supper?

Options

Replies

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,393 Member
    Options
    Lord, I miss Habitant pea soup with ham. That was where it was at when I was growing up. Never found anything comparable here in the southern US.

My dinner tonight was yummy!

5 slices of Canadian bacon diced, scrambled with two eggs and three whites, reduced-fat cheddar and chives! A good plateful for just under 500 calories.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,602 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Hey "I could have made good use of your math skillz the other day" Nics, you're around! Your "breakfast" sounds real good! But I'm still happy with my orange/yellow soup! :smiley:
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,612 Member
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Very interesting, PAV. I have a can of chipotle peppers on the shelf, and lots of split yellow peas that I could put to work!
    A friend came to visit on Friday with a nice pot of homemade Chipotle Corn soup....delicious...must be a chipotle kinda weekend!
    He was a bit dissappointed by the lack of bread / crackers on my end. But I did have some feta cheese in the fridge and surprisingly that went well.

Eggs always pack an amazing punch for the calories! And the price has really come back down around my neck of the woods.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,244 Member
    Options
    The bday splurge is winding down and I can not wait to get back to my normal diet. My digestion is paying the price as is my energy level. Ended up passing out on the daybed/sofa this afternoon.

I ended up going out to dinner last night as well because my cousin and her husband offered for my bday. They always pick the best places! Had a great red snapper, some roasted brussel sprouts... and of course dessert. It was SO good.

Tonight it is some simple ground beef tacos with some roasted zucchini on the side. Been craving them.

Breakfast this week will be hardboiled eggs and avocado toast. Lunch will be salads, soup, and leftovers.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Supper lunch today was some dal from the freezer on a nice bed of cauliflower rice with some freezer beets on the side. Almost instant, and pretty tasty. Supper will be a simple field green salad with hummus/balsamic and black beans. Had an apple (2 :) ) for a snack this afternoon and some of those apples of the earth. It has been a very hungry day but I think I'll get through it with no disasters ... fingers crossed.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    I was affected by Laurie who intercepted a wagon wheel grab and substituted 412g of apples instead! I swear: she reached out from three time zones away and put dem apples on the scale for me! Thanks Laurie!

Oh. Other stuff. Well I still have orange/yellow soup for later. And for lunch I had "powder broth" with rice vermicelli and 250g of "asian" vegetables. I thought I was buying the broad rice noodles, but i got the vermicelli shaped ones instead. A 250g dry pack which has 5 noodle "cakes" inside and a portion size of 1/3 of a pack!!! :confounded: Seeing how they came out, quite "al dente", the livivia spaghetti pack would not have been out of line in the same role. I nuked the "asian veg" I added to the broth uncovered and it made a positive difference.
  • lauriekallis
    edited February 2023
    Options
    My boarding house reach to the rescue!
    Fortunately you are a weigher - so they are not going to disturb you toooo much with those weird portion sizes? But I guess it does get messy when you start breaking up the cakes.

So - uncovered nuking leaves them less watery?
  • PAV8888
    Options
    [quote="lauriekallis;c-47316951"But I guess it does get messy when you start breaking up the cakes[/quote]
    The raspberry wagon wheels range from 39 to 41g (so good consistency for the 40g package marking). And the marshmallow/jam portion is just over 8g... I wonder why I would know that!?!??!??!?!!? :blush:

the asian veg uncovered and smaller portion larger container were better.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    :D
    I can picture you scraping out and weighing the jam portion. Did you weight the jam portion? Or the wheel with the jam and then without it? (just so I can have an accurate image in my mind.)
  • PAV8888
    Options
    hmmm.... remove pieces of wrap around chocolate coating and consume.... now carefully separate one cookie with chocolate coating and consume. Now pry marshmalow/jam portion away from second cookie.... lots of "clean separation failures" have the undesirable side-effect of encouraging repeat attempts at cleaner separation! :anguished:
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,824 Member
    Options
    Why don’t Canadians share all the good stuff? We have no ketchup potato chips, Habitant pea soup, raspberry wagon wheels ..... perhaps it just makes my life a little less tempting.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Lol...It is strange to think there are "Canadian" things not available in the States. I always see that situation in the reverse :) !

Supper tonight was my go too scrambled eggs with feta & sriracha and roasted cauliflower/broccoli/sweet potatoes. Good, nutritious but getting boring! Maybe I won't buy another head of cauliflower or broccoli for awhile :)
  • PAV8888
    Options
    Well... I finished off yellow orange pea/pumpkin soup! And the asian veggies bag. added some mix veggies to asian veggies... and a blue menu butter chicken which comes with rice... went together well.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    Tomorrow might be Sweet Potato & Red Lentil soup. They had a large bag (10lbs) of sweet potatoes on sale at the local grocery store for $5!!! Freezer has space :)
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,244 Member
    Options
    Had the beyond burger last night. It was good. There was a bit of an aftertaste that took me a bit to adjust to, but overall I would eat it again. It just won't be a go to. I'll stick to lean beef.

Tonight I am doing a baked chicken parmesan, no breading. Serving it with a side of spaghetti along with roasted broccoli. This will last me 2 days.

After that will be teriyaki chicken meatballs served over rice and with stir fried mixed veggies.

Going to be working on next weeks plan starting today.
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I don't care for the beyond burger - far too meaty (slimey) for me. It makes me sad that so many of the fast food chains are going in that direction. Wheat gluten??? I used to enjoy the occasional veggie burger out in the world...but now not so much.
  • lauriekallis
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Supper today (or lunch, not sure of the order) will be either a salad with veggies + beans/hummus or freezer pasta sauce on some of that Liviva shitake rice (I'm feeling braver now that the pad thai went over so well) with a sprinkling of parmesan :)

Turns out today is going to be grocery shopping day for me - which also includes a treat :) I've reduced my daily visits to the grocery store to once or twice a week and allow myself a single serving treat. Tomorrow was supposed to be the day but we are in for a major freezing rain then snow storm starting later this afternoon carrying into tomorrow. So I might just go today. I've hit the frame of mind where I almost resent having my treat before tomorrow in case it has an effect on the scale tomorrow morning :)

That being said there is no way I'm saving it until tomorrow if I buy it today :)

I also miss the daily visits - it added 2500 or so steps to my day - but the knee just isn't agreeable to that at the moment. :(
  • PAV8888
    edited February 2023
    Options
    I think the rice is my top option. If you mix with cauli rice too may be downright awesome.

Their sushi rice option has more calories but I found it to be good from the point of view that I sometimes over saved calories and then overspent on candy bars because there was too much room left. Might be better off to leave less room.

Have been hit by downstairs sweet: condensed milk with coconut as far as I can tell with some nuts wrapped/sprinkled in kadayif and syrup. Been logging it as a kadayif 2x2" 75g, nccdb database entry on Cronometer. The pieces look a bit less than 2x2, but close to that, and were 73, 74, and 81g! Average 74g. I swear she breathes accurate portioning!🤔😜 One piece left...
  • lauriekallis
    Options
    I'm running on much fewer calories than you, PAV, so I won't be left with enough calories to cause a sweet problem :) Though I must say today's grocery store treat was problematic. Once that was done the hamsters went wild. Added a 200 calorie snack to the day, at that, am now eating tonight's later night yogurt snack. Hopefully it stops here....thank goodness dinner is coming soonish.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    get out in front of it and STOP IT! :\