60 yrs and up

Replies

• sandramarshall200
    sandramarshall200 Posts: 106 Member
    Crikey swimmom, that wrapper sounds exhausting! I’d rather get one that said, oh dear, got a nasty tickle? Wear a little scarf, wrap up warm, stay by the fire!
    Probably why I’m fat…
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,785 Member
    personally I like the sayings on the Halo Top pint cartons better... LOL
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    swimmom_1 wrote: »
    Opened a cough drop early this AM. The wrapper has some inspirational sayings and I think they apply to us.
    -Conquer today
    -Let's hear your battle cry
    -Push on
    -Be resilient
    -Don't give up on you
    -Impress yourself today.
    All of these on a little cough drop wrapper!!!!
    Crikey swimmom, that wrapper sounds exhausting! I’d rather get one that said, oh dear, got a nasty tickle? Wear a little scarf, wrap up warm, stay by the fire!
    Probably why I’m fat…

Funny thing is I never noticed the quotes on it before but I needed the encouragement that day. So I'm glad I did! Maybe God directed me to see it!
  • sandramarshall200
    Yummy snack @swimmom_1
  • swimmom_1
    edited February 2023
    My head seems to be straightened out now. I'm dropping some on the scale and right now having a little snack of unsweetened coconut flakes and a serving of Lily's dark chocolate chips mixed in it.
    Yummy snack @swimmom_1

It was only 1 Carb too! Kind of tasted somewhat like a Easter coconut egg.
  • swimmom_1
    Elliptical Interval (HIIT) setting first session 124 minutes for 8.14 miles, zone 3. Then had to babysit for about 2 hours, then the second session Interval setting again 56 minutes for 3.75 miles, zone 3= 180 minutes, 11.89 miles.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,152 Member
    Welcome back!

Yes, now is the absolutely BEST time to do it. This time I challenge you to develop really good habits you'll take with you into the indefinite future so this is the last time you have to lose from a weight gain. Maintenance is just as much of a challenge, and it's just as simple. Not easy - simple.

You can do it, and you will!
  • Pdc654
    Pdc654 Posts: 317 Member
    Elliptical Interval (HIIT) setting first session 124 minutes for 8.14 miles, zone 3. Then had to babysit for about 2 hours, then the second session Interval setting again 56 minutes for 3.75 miles, zone 3= 180 minutes, 11.89 miles.

@swimmom_1 it sounds like your getting back into the swing of things! I bet it feels good to get your groove back!
  • Pdc654
    Welcome back @1poundatax. And welcome to all who have recently joined this thread. This is a great place to come for support and advice.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,012 Member
    Pdc654 wrote: »
    I haven't posted in a while, but the day after I posted last, I tested positive again for Covid. The line was very faint so I had it confirmed by a diagnostic lab. Yep, sure enough, I had Covid rebound. Symptoms had come back but not as bad as before. No fever this time, but sore throat and sinus congestion along with headache and fatigue. The main symptoms cleared up in a few days, but the headache and fatigue are hanging on long after I tested negative again. I know these are just some of the long term side effects of covid and I am glad that's the only ones I have. It is gradually getting better. Yesterday was the first day I felt like I was getting back to normal. I wasn't exhausted after my water aerobics class and I did not get a headache yesterday at all. I have not returned to weight lifting yet but if things continue to improve, I plan to slowly start back with that next week. I'm just grateful I didn't have a much worse case of covid. It never went to my lungs and since I have asthma and COPD, I'm very thankful for that.

Can I say that it's reassuring to me that you're coming through Covid OK, albeit understandably slowly? While I don't have asthma, I do have early-stage COPD, and I've wondered what that could mean if/when I do get Covid - as I so far haven't 🤞 - even now that I'm vaxed to the recommended extent, and now that we do have better treatment options. I'm pretty healthy - I think? - for this age and stage, but I haven't previously heard from anyone else with a pulmonary challenge of any type who'd had Covid.

Also, since I can't remember whether I've shared this here before:

I don't know whether this is helpful or discouraging, I hope more the former, but I'd run across this document (written for all-levels coaches and athletes) with medical guidance about return to workout routine post-Covid.

https://www.uptodate.com/contents/covid-19-return-to-sport-or-strenuous-activity-following-infection

The TL;DR is pretty much "take it gradually, slower than you'd think" for best long-term results.

Wishing you a speedy path back to full functioning, regardless!
  • Pdc654
    @AnnPT77 Yes, I understand what you mean by wondering how you'd do if you get Covid. I was in the same boat. Respiratory infections always hit me hard. They tend to be worse and last longer than most people because of my lung issues. So I was pleasantly surprised the covid did not drop to my lungs. Like you, I was fully vaccinated and boosted. Thank God for the vaccine. I absolutely feel the vaccine was the reason why I did not have a worse case. Or possibly the combination of vaccine and Paxlovid. I took a 5 day treatment. Paxlovid keeps the virus from replicating but only works if you start taking soon after testing positive or start of symptoms. But you are more likely to have a case of covid rebound after Paxlovid. They think that's possibly because 5 days may not be long enough for omicron. It was tested on Delta and stopped the testing early because they found that it was working so well. Only 10% of the general population get covid rebound while 25% of those taking Paxlovid do. I'd still take it again. It is proven to be very effective at keeping people out of the hospital.

You did send that article in a previous post. Thank you. I found it very helpful. It convinced me to start back with exercise very slowly. So I'm going to my aqua aerobics class every other day instead of 5 days a week and decided to wait even longer to resume weight lifting. I'm taking it slow.

Sorry about your rotator cuff issue. I know how much you love to row. It must be very frustrating for you. Hoping your PT can help you get it resolved before your outdoor rowing season starts. In the meantime have fun with your Journaling and bango!
  • Pdc654
    @ HaHa! Sorry Ann. That was meant to say have fun with your banjo, not bango. Lol
  • sandramarshall200
    Good Morning. Well, Ann, I was in a way, glad to read that you are just now dropping the holiday excess. I have spent January and February trying to kickstart the weight loss, glad to know it’s not just me.. Finally it is beginning again. I am swimming most days now. I know weight loss is about calories, but my body does better when I move more, Problem is that I get out of the pool ravenous. I have to breakfast 1st thing as I take medication with the food, and it’s often hours until the next meal is due. I try to go straight into housework or gardening, but my muscles are already tired. I’m wary of snacks, I dont have an off button for them. Also, I observe that my dogs are always most crazy for food immediately after being fed. Think I’m the same.
    How do others manage this? It may be that just distracting myself is best.
    Second issue I have is that a lot of you seem very precise people, and I’m just not, I never can accurately count my lengths at the pool and I cook in dollops and handfuls, not pounds and ounces , or cups. I am trying to weigh my food more, but when someone else cooks and that would be rude, I wonder if there is some rule of thumb for a reasonable portion. I try to fill half my plate with salad or non starch veg, and I’ve probably halved the amount of carbs I would put on my plate, but still not sure if I always get it right, and how do I know I’m not fooling myself?
    Sorry this is long. Hope it makes sense.
  • Pdc654
    @sandramarshall200 I second everything that @ridiculous59 just said. The best advice I have received through this forum was to buy a kitchen scale and weigh your food instead of trying to estimate your portions. Even using measuring cups, etc does not give you the accuracy of weighing your food in grams. It does become second nature after a while.

As far as hunger after exercise, perhaps a small low calorie high volume snack would help. Carrots, celery, cut up raw vegetables come to mind. I sometimes buy prepackaged baby carrots ready to eat. They come in 3 oz packages and are just 35 calories. I also agree with the statement to watch out for nuts. It's really easy to consume too many calories with nuts. I love them but I absolutely must weigh them out then put the jar away. I usually don't have them too often now. I need a higher volume lower calorie snack to be satisfied.