Share your Numbers

Replies

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,545 Member
    They came, they saw (that you weren't going to indulge them), they left. Good work, Yooly.
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,751 Member
    edited February 2023
    Insomnia! So little sleep 😴 last night. Started the day out of control and too exhausted to care. Maybe a nap will save the remainder of the day. Otherwise I’ll chalk it up to a failure and pick up the pieces tomorrow.

But the scale will certainly show today’s lack of control.
  • lauriekallis
    Sleep is so important. Keep your spirits up, Yooly - and try to catch nap. There is still lots of day to be saved :)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,393 Member
    Dad's nurse practitioner seems to advocate napping when tired (instead of eating) and then continuing the day--if circumstances allow, of course!

I'm definitely less likely to keep to target eating when tired. Which doesn't stop me from doing it! :rage:
  • lauriekallis
    I try to remember that....sleep! go to bed - have a nap - do not overeat/binge for energy. Hamsters don't always listen. :(
  • PAV8888
    edited February 2023
    The Fitbit app is making some changes and people in a challenge invited me to join stridekick.

Looks like stridekick also allows cross platform transfers of steps and challenges. And has a couple of semi interesting stats. So it is kind of neat anyway.

I selected the totally unusual and unique name of pav8888 for stridekick. Which is surprisingly similar to my Fitbit and mfp names 🤷‍♂️🤔🤪
  • PAV8888
    edited February 2023
    @lauriekallis Silly goose--you're NOT supposed to do that!

re: knee hope: Knees are incredibly MUCH better at goal. In fact even at the current, I guess I'll make it official, exactly 10lb increase in the three years since late February 2020 since I'm clocking in at 162-164 instead of 153-155 with too much consistency to ignore.

NOT as good as at sub 155. But they HAVE been much worse.

At least January and February 2023 have been stable to downward trending... but too slowly to make much of a difference and I'm too distracted with other issues :neutral:
  • lauriekallis
    My knees did feel much better at goal-ish. Today, the demon knee is pretty ticked off at me, not as bad as it could have been, but it is definitely not pleased with my foolishness.

I'm going to take a look at stridekick tomorrow always good to find something new to think about on this getting healthier lighter trip :)
  • PAV8888
    It also "converts" other activities to steps to give you credit for them. Not sure if the correspondences are 100% or that they matter; but hey, it is an attempt!
  • lauriekallis
    Interesting!
  • lauriekallis
    Double duty post here.

Number 1. To clear my conscience :) I never did share my new weight last month. By the time I weighed myself on February 1, after a month of moderation, I weighed 247. Glad I waited a month before looking at that number. Didn't quite gain all the weight back, but a good chunk of it. Down to 231 now with a good feeling about where I'm going for the next 40 years :wink:

Number 2. I checked out the protein numbers on the examine.com website, PAV. It was a bit of a wake up call. I've been running somewhere around 75g a day lately - and it looks like I need to bump that up significantly. Somewhere I read that for an obese/overweight person - you add half of the difference between your actual weight and your normal/goal weight to your goal weight and use that number to find your protein requirements. Per that guideline I'm using a current weight of 200lbs and also trying there "overweight" choice. Then there are the options for dieters/those wanting to increase muscle mass/those wanting fat loss. On the more moderate side it looks like I'm aiming at 125g per day. That is a significant increase. Any protein increase ideas anyone for a vegetarian? It is pretty tricky with limited daily calorie intake. I can probably do it - but it is going to be hard unless I go to the fake veggie weiners - which don't really seem like a good choice if I'm focussing on good health?
  • Dante_80
    Dante_80 Posts: 474 Member
    edited February 2023
    Any protein increase ideas anyone for a vegetarian?

If you are vegetarian and not vegan, try out the following:

245ml Greek yogurt 1.5%
    165ml Goat milk 1.5%
    150g banana chopped (a large one)
    20g chia seeds
    20g All-bran
    8g crushed walnuts
    2ml vanilla extract
    4g cocoa powder
    10 drops of stevia (or other) sweetener.
    1tsp of cinnamon

Take 65ml of milk and heat it. dissolve the cocoa into it, then add the vanilla and the sweetener.
    In a big bowl, put the yogurt in and then add the bran, the chia, the banana (thinly chopped) and the walnuts. Pour in the cocoa mixture, stir, add the rest of the milk and stir again vigorously until you have a uniform consistency and the banana is not in big chunks anymore.
    Refrigerate for at least 6hours. Take out, sprinkle a lot of cinnamon at the top, take a spoon and enjoy!
    This makes a mad pudding of sorts. 600 calories, 20 ounces of food, 40g of high value protein and 17g of fiber to boot.
    HoMWHqP.png
  • lauriekallis
    edited February 2023
    Thank you, Dante. That looks like it would be a great "end of day" protein boost - or maybe breakfast which I think I'm going to have to change up!

It might be a bit too expensive for me calorie-wise at this stage. I'm aiming for 1200 or so per day which gives me enough flex to get in around 1400 on most days once I throw in a couple of cups of tea and things weighing more than expected. For those 1200 calories I'm trying to get close to 125g of protein...and still have some variety. I've been around 75g which requires conscious decisions - 125 has me a bit mystified. Unless I move to somewhat artificial sources ... extra egg whites in a carton or fake meat. Or give up some of the fun things like walnuts / pumpkin seeds. Not sure if it is worth giving up that extra breadth of nutrition for extra protein. Not sure what exactly where the line is between optimal and excessive for me...but I've never aimed for that high a level of protein - so I will try it for at least March (??) and see what happens :)
  • PAV8888
    Hey Laurie: I've never had an issue with the 0.8g to 1.2g per lb of weight at top of normal range (BMI 25)

It exceeds minimum RDIs and in the vast vast majority of cases would provide more than sufficient resources for desirable and necessary muscle

If I recall you're a tall one, ain't ya? I think you're taller than me anyway. So yes, 125 sounds like a good number to aim for.

A bit hard to do when it represents half your calories. Will be trying a "type" of Dante's pudding I think... I like where that one is going :wink:

Ann has a source or two for veg protein she discusses. Egg whites are legit. I bought myself 4x500g from Costco on Saturday!
  • lauriekallis
    Thank you - yeah I figure 125 might be a good goal - but not easy to reach at this calorie level - and not easy to reach unless eating more processed food - which to my mind doesn't really make sense? But, I suppose, weight loss isn't really "normal" eating. I've used egg whites before to boost the protein in scrambled eggs - but I'm having a bit of a can't eat scrambled eggs time ... lol ... I get weird with eggs sometimes and they become a bit gaggy. I'll try to figure out something different to do with them. Bought some veggie dogs today too. It all sounds a bit "heavy" but I'll give it a shot for March and see how it feels! Thank you :)
  • lauriekallis
    And...I thought Dante's "Mad Pudding" sounded right up your alley, PAV :)
  • lauriekallis
    Yooly - where are you at with protein? With your gym going, fat losing, over 60ing life style? :)
  • PAV8888
    edited February 2023
    Well, Laurie, you know that I think that long(er) term, once you've been in the groove for a while you will do better in the 25% (and then 20%) deficit range than what currently may well be, what, 60%+ deficits?

Not sure why tea would add up to 200 Cal? But it does sound as if February was 16lbs! :love: That said. Use a weight trend app, right? You've got the fitbit, just connect trendweight. Or libra if you're using android. If you've gotten happier with watching the trends, that is!

There's no two ways about it. If you're shoehorning in 1200-1500 Cal, and protein is 600 Cal... you've got to be very careful with your planning.

The good news is: you're not going to keel over with just 75g of protein a day :wink:

If you're pushing such levels of deficit my feeling is that you just have to keep making the most satiating choices you can and the rest can fall where it may as long as you're hitting the minimums you HAVE to.

75g P is sufficient for health. Enough fiber to meet female minimums... what is that about 28g I would say for you, though at 1200 you may have to fall back to 22g. And I will have to dig up the minimal fat intake levels.... can't find them now but I think it was something like 0.2 or 0.3g per lb for "girls". So say we want you to be what? A150lb Laurie? That would be at least 30g of fat a day. More is OK. But that would be your minimum. So since half of fiber is probably a countable carb that's 60 Cal for 30g. And say another 300 Cal in fats and 600 in protein... you're starting at 1000 Cal before you've selected any options :wink:

So yeah. Hit the minimums while eating "normally"... "things you see yourself eating" and move on! :smiley:

(sorry, not in top form tonight :hushed: )
  • lauriekallis
    Thank you, PAV. Those 200 calories absorb little things like 3 cups of tea with milk and the things that are preplanned but don't quite come out per plan: that extra sprinkle of pumpkin seeds that takes me over the planned 15 grams...the extra hummus on the salad that takes me over 50g, that unplanned apple that pops up in the middle of the afternoon :). If I preplan my day at 1200 - I can usually comfortably come in around 1400.

Fibre I'm way up there - in the 30s most days. Fat is up in the 40s-ish.

You have allocated 600 calories for 125g protein? Not sure I can pull that off...unless it is with 1250g of egg whites :) 563 calories 125g protein. That one is the trickiest. For a bit I will add some oddities :) egg whites - veggie dogs - extra collagen supplement (yes I know - but the shoulder scared me into that one!) and I should be able to hit that number.

Once my daily calories increase it will be much easier.

Your guess is good! Some days 60% deficit - usually closer to 50%. I don't plan on doing this for long - just long enough to get in the groove and take the pressure of this knee. I'm half anticipating surgery to tack down the meniscus (that seems to be a viable option now) and if that is the case I want to be as light as I can be to optimize those results. My macros all seem good at this level...and I have lots of extra fat the body can use for food for awhile.
  • lauriekallis
    I have a PAV like idea :)
    Protein meringue cookies!!!! I think this might be a winner.
    Going to start experimenting tomorrow. Egg whites, cream of tartar (15 calories worth to start), collagen supplement which includes cocoa powder and stevia. With the right combination this should equal some mighty fine HIGH protein cookies! And it should feel toooo heavy :)
    Will report back.