Just Give Me 10 Days - Round 215

Replies

• deepwoodslady
    deepwoodslady Posts: 10,641 Member
    clprieur wrote: »

2/27 218.5 (-1.5) Today is beginning of 28 day protien challenge which for me is 52 per meal which is making me anxious. This is not going to be easy but I have 28 days to get it right. I am starting with increasing dinner and tonight it is pressure cooker ham and beans. My recipe makes 8 servings at 13g protein each. Even at 2 servings I don't reach 52 lol. I am doing something wrong. Meh...day 1. 27 to go lol. 2 rebounder sessions done as well as pacing while helping momma with her first ever cell phone. What made my sister think momma could figure out an iPhone at 80?!? Did another rebounder as fitbit decided I didn't do two. Spent most the afternoon raking and blowing leaves to reach my step goal. I did over 9000. I will be sore tomorrow.

@GirlOnTheRebound 52 grams per meal?! Wow! I can barely reach 60-90 per day!! HAH! Let us know how it goes! :)

@clprieur ...I could be reading it wrong but MFP says I should have 156g protien per day. That's 52g per meal. Please tell me I am wrong lol. I barely reach the 40s....sigh

@GirlOnTheRebound Protein is healthy in the right amounts. Too much is very very hard on the kidneys. Make sure your protein is listed in your goals in a fair percentage. Maybe 25% for you?
  • GirlOnTheRebound
    GirlOnTheRebound Posts: 258 Member

2/27 218.5 (-1.5) Today is beginning of 28 day protien challenge which for me is 52 per meal which is making me anxious. This is not going to be easy but I have 28 days to get it right. I am starting with increasing dinner and tonight it is pressure cooker ham and beans. My recipe makes 8 servings at 13g protein each. Even at 2 servings I don't reach 52 lol. I am doing something wrong. Meh...day 1. 27 to go lol. 2 rebounder sessions done as well as pacing while helping momma with her first ever cell phone. What made my sister think momma could figure out an iPhone at 80?!? Did another rebounder as fitbit decided I didn't do two. Spent most the afternoon raking and blowing leaves to reach my step goal. I did over 9000. I will be sore tomorrow.

@GirlOnTheRebound 52 grams per meal?! Wow! I can barely reach 60-90 per day!! HAH! Let us know how it goes! :)

@clprieur ...I could be reading it wrong but MFP says I should have 156g protien per day. That's 52g per meal. Please tell me I am wrong lol. I barely reach the 40s....sigh

@GirlOnTheRebound I agree that 52 grams per meal seems high. Based on some research that I've done, I upped my protein intake goal to spread it out over the day, so 25g per meal, plus at least 5g fiber, and then a 7g protein snack with at least 2g fiber. I'm also trying to get in at least 3 servings of dairy a day and 3-4 servings of fruit/veggies. Needless to say I eat a lot of low-fat cottage cheese, usually mixed with blueberries or a pear or some other kind of fresh fruit. I LOVE cottage cheese with fresh blueberries.

You may just want to check in with your doctor about the right amount of protein. The 52g per meal may be fine but I remembered reading something about too much protein not being good and found this research, which states within it that "Extra protein is not used efficiently by the body and may impose a metabolic burden on the bones, kidneys, and liver. Moreover, high-protein/high-meat diets may also be associated with increased risk for coronary heart disease due to intakes of saturated fat and cholesterol or even cancer."

This is awesome advice. I will confer with my doc. I too love cottage cheese and have been learning how to have it on days my sodium is lower as it has an amount I need to watch. Gone are the days of youth where we had sugary cereal then cafeteria lunch to be followed by mommas artery clogging dinner lol. At this stage I will stress less and keep learning. Thank you!
  • GirlOnTheRebound

@GirlOnTheRebound Protein is healthy in the right amounts. Too much is very very hard on the kidneys. Make sure your protein is listed in your goals in a fair percentage. Maybe 25% for you?

Well that's not what I want lol. Although I never reached my protien goal I am now not going to aim for it. I have found the macro input and changed protien to 98g (25%). Fat is 35% and carbs 40%. Thank you.
  • GirlOnTheRebound
    shmmm3 wrote: »
    @GirlOnTheRebound @RockinRobyn672 @clprieur
    Protein recommendations can be all over the place. I personally found that once I stopped trying to eat tons of protein, and just kept to at least 10 grams per meal/snack I was able to get to at least 50 grams per day and I've been able to gain muscle with that amount of protein. My average day of low calorie eating has me between 40-60 grams of protein. If I am low on protein because I had a carby breakfast or something I'll just eat a $1 bumblebee tuna packet that has about 70 calories and 13 grams of protein. I also like peas a lot and they're surprisingly high in protein and fiber.

I follow the 0.8 grams per kilogram of body weight rule as my protein goal. Any protein above that is okay but keeping it to the .8 grams per kilogram recommendation really helped me achieve that goal with a normal healthy diet. Also, I fear gallstones.

Thank you for this information. Hey I like peas! Great suggestion.
  • quiltingjaine
    quiltingjaine Posts: 5,745 Member
    @refactored I made the mistake of looking at myself dancing (in a mirror) at about age 12 and have never danced in public - except that one Zumba class. Yes, “medical episode” is a wonderful description!
  • quiltingjaine
    @GirlOnTheRebound is that challenge on MFP?
  • quiltingjaine
    @GirlOnTheRebound - I sent you a message/friend request! I have no idea why your protein goal is so high. I do 1500 calories per day and have my protein set for 20% which equals 75 grams per day. But I know others set their macros higher...

I am 1580 calories at 30% 30% and 40%. The 40% is protien. That 156g. Might need to tinker with values lol.

My macros are set at approximately 5% Carbs, 20% Pro, 75% Fat. The carbs I do get are from non starchy veg and occasional berries. It is better to have a little extra protein than to be short. There was an article I read in the last couple of months. I wish I had saved it!
  • GirlOnTheRebound
    @GirlOnTheRebound is that challenge on MFP?

Sorry...not understanding....which challenge?
  • quiltingjaine
    shmmm3 wrote: »
    @GirlOnTheRebound @RockinRobyn672 @clprieur

Thank you for this information. Hey I like peas! Great suggestion.

Be aware that peas are fairly high in starch/carbs. Plus, I would have to have them floating in butter! LOL