WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2023

Replies

• skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,786 Member
    <3
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 838 Member
    Well nuts, had a perfectly good post going, hit a button that I didn't want to hit and it all disappeared! I'll try to remember the highlights!

Allie, Tracey is being too hard on herself and causing both of you undue stress with the home schooling stuff. Machka has the right idea, teach Miles stuff in a fun way, don't make it like school, he's still very young! Our granddaughter will be four in May and she is just starting to talk. She was always very vocal, but she had her own little language. We knew there wasn't a hearing issue, because she understood what we were saying, so just something she wanted to do on her schedule.

Annie, the tax papers that your dad needs, are they gov't issued? Is there a gov't site that you could go to and reprint them from there? Here in Canada we can go the the gov't website and get the required info from there. In fact, if you file online, which we have done for many years now, they don't always send out the forms. Just my two cents worth, good luck!

That's all I can remember that I really wanted to say! Once again, it's getting late, must hit the shower and then the pillow!
    Hugs for those needing them, congrats to those celebrating and welcome to the newbies!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    evie1958 wrote: »
    Well nuts, had a perfectly good post going, hit a button that I didn't want to hit and it all disappeared! I'll try to remember the highlights!

Allie, Tracey is being too hard on herself and causing both of you undue stress with the home schooling stuff. Machka has the right idea, teach Miles stuff in a fun way, don't make it like school, he's still very young! Our granddaughter will be four in May and she is just starting to talk. She was always very vocal, but she had her own little language. We knew there wasn't a hearing issue, because she understood what we were saying, so just something she wanted to do on her schedule.

Annie, the tax papers that your dad needs, are they gov't issued? Is there a gov't site that you could go to and reprint them from there? Here in Canada we can go the the gov't website and get the required info from there. In fact, if you file online, which we have done for many years now, they don't always send out the forms. Just my two cents worth, good luck!

That's all I can remember that I really wanted to say! Once again, it's getting late, must hit the shower and then the pillow!
    Hugs for those needing them, congrats to those celebrating and welcome to the newbies!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island

Here as well, with the tax forms. We don't actually receive most things anymore, they go to a central repository somewhere and any tax accountant can access them.

It makes "doing taxes" so easy!

We go to our accountant, she double checks the documents she has access to, she asks if we've got anything else applicable (like a receipt for a cable I used to hook up my second monitor to my work laptop, or smaller donations), and voila, it's done. Last October, we were in and out of there in my lunch hour, with enough time to get some lunch.

Machka in Oz
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 17,930 Member
    Woke to a light dusting of snow this morning. I am resisting the temptation to make any plans for today as it’s my no plan day. DH is going out to badminton this morning, so I will have no distractions for anything I choose to do.

Dr Katie: 🥰 The mattress
    Heather: It looks like you all had a great time.
    Katla: Having your own things around, you will certainly make things more pleasant.

That’s all I can think of at the mo! 😂

Intentions for March:
    🔹Maintain weight < 140 (I have managed to stay at the lower end off the 140s)
    🔹Continue with Solid Habit development

Intentions for today
    📍Go with the flow
    📍solid habits

Virtual (((hugs))) and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 for all those those who need them.

🙋‍♀️ Miele failte to the newbies.

☘️ Terri
    March Action for Happiness:
    1. Set an intention to live with awareness and kindness. I intend to live with awareness and kindness
    2. Notice three things you find beautiful in the outside world.Trees silhouetted against the sky; the appearance of snowdrops in spring; the sound of waves breaking on the shore.
    3. Start today by appreciating your body and that you are alive. I meditate on this each morning when I wake up, and am grateful for each new opportunity to have a good day.
    4. Notice how you speak to yourself and choose to use kind words. Positive affirmations are very powerful. Be kind to yourself, always.
    5. Bring to mind people you care about and send love to them. We chatted with our girls about other family members, and raised a glass to them.
    6. Have a ‘no plans’ day and notice how that feels. I will do this tomorrow (7th)
    7. Take three calm breaths at regular intervals during your day.Resisting the temptation to plan my day. Serendipity reigns today.
    8. Eat mindfully. Appreciate the taste, texture and email of your food.
    9. Take a full breath in and out before you reply to others.
    10. Get outside and notice how the weather feels on your face.
    11. Stay fully present while drinking your cup of tea or coffee.
    12. Listen deeply to someone and really hear what they are saying.
    13. Pause to watch the sky or clouds for a few minutes today.
    14. Find ways to enjoy any chores or tasks that you do.
    15. Stop. Breathe. Notice. Repeat regularly.
    16. Get really absorbed with an interesting or creative activity.
    17. Look around and spot three thing you find unusual or pleasant.
    18. If you find yourself rushing, make an effort to slow down.
    19. Appreciate nature around you wherever you are.
    20. Focus on what makes you and others happy today.
    21. Listen to a piece of music without doing anything else.
    22. Notice something that is going well, even if today feels difficult.
    23. Tune into your feelings, without judging or trying to change them.
    24. Appreciate your hands and all the things they enable you to do.
    25. Focus your attention on the good things you take for granted.
    26. Choose too spend less times looking at screens today.
    27. Cultivate a feeling of loving-kindness towards others today.
    28. Notice when you are tired and take a break as soon as possible.
    29. Choose a different route today and see what you notice.

30. Mentally scan your body and notice what you are feeling.
    31. Discover the joy in the simple things of life.

• ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,306 Member
    Kylia-wating for testing is difficult. And heart tests with the wave interpretations have always been beyond me. I do know that the testing has gotten more sophisticated over the years and they are able to take preventative actions. Lucky you have some pretty decent heart treatment choices in your area.

Michelle-when you finish your project before framing you will need to wash it-I find Dawn to be great for such things -doesn't mess with colors and gets off the grime that naturally occurs. It should be ok.

Barbie-interesting sounding recipe. For some reason I have never been much for dark meat from fowl.

Allie-home schooling can be difficult. There are typically still state standards that must be met and the parent has to be able to cover a wide range of topics. I think it is a bit different when you are talking teaching the young ones colors and shapes. There is also the socialization aspect that is very important for the child.

Night two on new mattress and had good sleep. Woke up with head a bit less full today. Ran humidifier in bedroom overnight and took some cold medicine before bed. Feet did not wake me up.

Very busy day for today. Have to finish report for the state which must be done carefully. Have supervisors meeting this afternoon to brief them on new union contract. Have to review some other drafts of things. Tonight will need to pack stuff for stay in Columbus-drive over tomorrow and stay two nights-back Friday. Directors' meetings can be tiring but beneficial.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited March 2023
    Barbie,

I have a recipe saved I have been wanting to try - it has a lot of the ingredients you are using in your Thai-style chicken thigh recipe! Sounds so yummy.

oxxxbayxn67q.jpeg
    6rgyap0o6va8.jpeg
    f9uf5rkkd68w.jpeg
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    edited March 2023
    Good for you for getting that test! So many women convince themselves, or allow themselves to be convinced, that their symptoms are of no consequence. Women who are in reasonably good physical condition are more likely to be in denial, but are also more likely to have good outcomes if they are identified prior to an event.

Karen in Virginia

I guess I was convinced 5 years ago when a cardiologist told me that I was young and healthy and a cardiac stress test would be a waste of tax payer money.

Unfortunately, I didn't have my Canadian test results, including a cardiac stress test which showed "something" and an echocardiogram which showed so much of "something" the doctor supervising the test invited in a class of interns to have a look and recommended I go through a battery of tests every 5 years. I've never been able to get those results because my doctor at the time lost them and then left the practice.

I do know that I had rheumatic fever at the age of 4 which resulted in a heart murmur (heard by many different doctors over the years), and another doctor discovered 2 damaged valves ... lightly damaged, not seriously damaged ... not long before I left Canada.

Nevertheless, this cardiologist listened to my heart for about 5 seconds, told me there was no heart murmur and likely never was, and most definitely did not want to do any further tests.

So now I just presume that the stabbing pain between the shoulder blades, the seizing tightness around my upper belly (abdomen) which makes very difficult to breathe, the nausea, sweating, dizziness, fatigue, neck pain, and left jaw pain ... which I get every so often and which lasts anywhere from about 15 to 30 minutes, and which scares the crap out of me ... is just a muscle spasm.

Because the cardiologist should know best ... right?

@kymarai ... I am so glad you're getting these tests, and kinda wish I had a doctor who would send me for them too. For peace of mind if nothing else.

Machka in Oz
  • rberr71
    rberr71 Posts: 2 Member
    I'd like to tone up a bit and lose 5 lbs before an event next month. Then, another 5 lbs and more tone before another event in May. I'm looking for some home workout tips for a real beginner. I have some workout accessories, i.e. hand weights, bands, stability ball, kettles, etc. but I've never found a plan that I'll do. With that, I guess an accountability partner may help too. Any tips or plans that have worked for you? Let me know. Thanks!
    Rebecca
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,288 Member
    <3
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 2,960 Member
    Rosemarie -what Heather said so beautifully. We are here, listening, and we care. Tell us about your high school friends. Who all is coming? And tell us about the ceremony. What have you planned?

Betsy Welcome back!

Kylia and Machka take care of yourselves and your heart health!

I'm going grocery shopping but my knee is sore. I guess I can be an adult, take a pill and wear the brace. I don't know why I resist it so much.

Annie in Delaware
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,433 Member
    exermom wrote: »
    Did an HIIT DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Jari Love Extremely Ripped DVD

Evelyn – I have a feeling that kids don’t know what they’re putting their moms thru. Denise hasn’t brought PJ to see us once in the 3 years he’s been alive. She has no idea (and probably doesn’t care) how much it hurts me. But that’s life. I know that even as babies, we always once a year took a 2 day drive to see my in-laws (all 3 kids). That was funsville when the kids were being potty trained!! I had to have not only their clothes packed for when we get there, but I also had to have an overnight bag for each of the kids. And she can’t make a 9 hour one day trip! Wouldn't surprise me if Pete's mother thinks that she shoudn't.

Doing a load of laundry right now and then will probably go to the pool for a bit.

I am doing a xstitch for Jess for Christmas, only I made a mistake and marked with pencil on the cloth. Does anyone know how to get pencil out of fabric?

Katla – it always feels good to have your own belongings so I’m sure this will help you and your husband

barbie – good luck at the doc’s. I’m sure you’ll do fine, especially since you take such good care of yourself

pip – love those lights! Where did you get them?

Vince walked around the parking lot three times today. Saturday it was twice. I sort-of told him that he was going to be walking tonight mainly because they play this game, Horseracing, in the clubhouse. I played 2 weeks ago just to see what it was all about. Honestly, I wasn’t impressed so Vince walking and needing me as a motivator was my excuse why I couldn’t go. They did want me to return and I really didn’t want to

Barbara and Debbie – I have heard of peeling the outside of the broccoli stalks before cooking them. Never tried it but it makes sense. When you get frozen broccoli, there are always parts of the stems.

Evelyn – sending pip’s boot to Rebecca’s son made me snort my water! Brilliant idea

Allie – knowing you, even if you don’t want to get roped into schooling Miles, my bet is that you will.

Went in the pool, got the bill (finally!) from the guy who removed the bushes and plugged and seeded the lawn. We’ll probably send him the payment from here. When we get back we’re going to have some excavating work but by someone else. This guy is a really nice guy, but I really need to know how much I have in my “landscape” fund for other projects.

Michele who just found out that there’s going to be a pool party on the 18th.

Don’t remember, it’s been a long time, probably Amazon
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,638 Member
    xrd2mgbe7uaj.jpg
    Little boy snoozing this morning...
    And a funny for the dayy0psprg1kq7f.jpg