Coronavirus prep

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    lokihen wrote: »
    I haven't checked in here for awhile but wondering if there are many who haven't had covid yet?

I haven't. It helps to live alone, work remotely 95% of the time, have a social circle that's mostly older people trying hard not to be exposed, and continue to mask in crowded environments.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,829 Member
    My worst personal COVID story just happened.

My cousin needs a double lung transplant. He is an Army vet who was exposed to toxic burn pits in Afghanistan.

He waited months on the transplant list…waiting by the phone for the call that they had matching lungs for him.

He finally got the call. He got to the hospital and they started to prep him for surgery. But then they did a COVID test and he was positive. No symptoms but they canceled the surgery and gave the lungs to the next person on the list.

Assuming he survives COVID (he’s still doing well), he can’t be re-listed for the transplant for another month.

@suzysunshine99 i am so very sorry!
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Dd was sick last month & Dr was sure she had Covid. The Dr said the home tests are not as accurate for the new strain. Anyway had PCR & was negative, so 🤷‍♀️.
  • SModa61
    I have not caught COVID yet to my knowledge. I know I was exposed to a coworker at one point, but never came up positive. I have had four shots total of the Pfizer (2 initial, 1 booster, 1 bivalent booster).

My girlfriend and I (and many, MANY friends and coworkers) caught something that I can only assume was a bad *kitten* cold last month. She tested several times and bought brand new tests to test again, but it always came up negative despite her feeling horrible for over a week and pretty poor for two to three weeks. I'm usually pretty resilient, but it took me out hard for three days, and it took two weeks to feel mostly normal. We both had the flu vaccine and it was reported to be well matched to the strain this year, so I can only assume it was likely some type of cold virus.

Here at on the three year anniversary of the WHO declaration of the pandemic, I'm back to normal nearly 100%. I finally flew without a mask last month, and only wear one for the doctor's office as required.

A group of us walk together in the mornings. A few weeks ago one of them was saying that her doctor stated that even if "negative" test, it is likely COVID if one is sick. I have no idea if this is BS or not. Just sharing the comment.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    Dd was sick last month & Dr was sure she had Covid. The Dr said the home tests are not as accurate for the new strain. Anyway had PCR & was negative, so 🤷‍♀️.

thats always been what we have been told in Australia - RATS tests not as accurate, if you have symptoms and a RATS is negative, get a PCR done.

That happened to my husband - symptomatic, RATS negative, got PCR test next day which was positive.

Recomended to get a multi valent PCR - rather than a 'just testing for Covid' one - that will show whether you have influenza, whooping cough, other viral resp illnesses

no good finding you are negative for Covid and then inadvertently spreading influenza around
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Sorry CeeBee for not writing sooner. Too much to do in the house and garden, plus PT visits twice a week. Spending too much time in the PC is not good for my neck either.
    I also lost my interest in the logging of food. I close my PC before dinner and whatever I write in a piece of paper sometimes doesn't make it to the food diary. My wt. is good and steady and clothes fit OK, so far.
    Hope that you are doing well with your statins (which one are you taking?). Please allow me to suggest that you ask the doctor if you can take CoQ10 daily. It's a co-enzyme that is naturally made by the body but production decreases with age and with the use of statins It is OTC so you don't need a prescription. Helps with inflammation, and gives protection to the heart.
    I am doing OK, and it seems that PT is helping a bit, although I think that my neck condition is a chronic problem.
    That's all for now. Stay well, warm, and in touch.
    G.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,297 Member
    Its easy done. I looked to see if I could let you know, only I think the system does not seem to permit direct messaging, or not that I could find. May be a change brought about from all the problematic messages which were about a while ago.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    edited March 2023
    Dh had sore throat, etc last week & tested 3 days all negative. I started cold symptoms Mon night & by Wed I tested positive. We have gotten free ones from the pharmacy (guess Medicare or ins covers them) & they have put a label over the old date & updated them.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Apologies if this was discussed recently: home test kit expiration date extension. I've been having sore throat, headache, mild nasal congestion, and sneezing, so dipped into my stockpile of COVID test kits only to see that they have all expired. While searching for more free tests, I learned that the FDA has extended expiration dates. You can look up your brand and then lot number here:

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/coronavirus-covid-19-and-medical-devices/home-otc-covid-19-diagnostic-tests
    In my understanding, as long as you get the "control" line when you do the test, it's still good.

Thanks!

I've now had three negative COVID tests, two different brands of test kits.

My neighbor had identical symptoms and also tested negative. I did not come in to contact with her, but my mother did. So my mother was exposed to two people who were likely contagious (the other one did test positive for COVID two days after he sat with her for a prolonged period of time) and didn't end up getting sick herself, a very good thing at her age of 85.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,297 Member
    Wonderful news. Your mother is one lucky lady or may be she has a very healthy immune system. I hope your present difficulties pass quickly. There are some nasty things going about.
    Wishing you both the very best of health.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    SModa61 wrote: »
    I have not caught COVID yet to my knowledge. I know I was exposed to a coworker at one point, but never came up positive. I have had four shots total of the Pfizer (2 initial, 1 booster, 1 bivalent booster).

My girlfriend and I (and many, MANY friends and coworkers) caught something that I can only assume was a bad *kitten* cold last month. She tested several times and bought brand new tests to test again, but it always came up negative despite her feeling horrible for over a week and pretty poor for two to three weeks. I'm usually pretty resilient, but it took me out hard for three days, and it took two weeks to feel mostly normal. We both had the flu vaccine and it was reported to be well matched to the strain this year, so I can only assume it was likely some type of cold virus.

Here at on the three year anniversary of the WHO declaration of the pandemic, I'm back to normal nearly 100%. I finally flew without a mask last month, and only wear one for the doctor's office as required.

A group of us walk together in the mornings. A few weeks ago one of them was saying that her doctor stated that even if "negative" test, it is likely COVID if one is sick. I have no idea if this is BS or not. Just sharing the comment.

My girlfriend saw her ENT and he didn't mention that. She took a total of four at home tests from two different brands. Her ENT said it was likely a flu but did not give her a flu test, but I thought a flue was more unlikely given the high effectiveness of the flu shot this season. We did not seek out a PCR test because it wouldn't have changed anything for us. Worked from home/took time off work and didn't go out while we were feeling poorly. Even if it wasn't COVID, don't want to give whatever nasty virus it was to others.
  • SModa61

My girlfriend saw her ENT and he didn't mention that. She took a total of four at home tests from two different brands. Her ENT said it was likely a flu but did not give her a flu test, but I thought a flue was more unlikely given the high effectiveness of the flu shot this season. We did not seek out a PCR test because it wouldn't have changed anything for us. Worked from home/took time off work and didn't go out while we were feeling poorly. Even if it wasn't COVID, don't want to give whatever nasty virus it was to others.

There do seem to be some rather unpleasant bugs going around this year. My sister got one in November that she says she only recently has full energy/function back. And, back in November, she unfortunately gave it to my parents less than two weeks after they finished their own bout with COVID (barely knew that had it). My sister's bug was 10 times worse for my father, and my sister the source. Glad I somehow didn't get it from her (she was visiting from cross the country).
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member

that doesnt really make sense to me. Yes it could still be Covid even if negative RATS test.

Ubnlikely if negative PCR

but why couldnt it be influenza or whooping cough or any of the other many respiratory viruses which go around.

Excatly why it is suggested here that one gets multivalent PCR if symptomatic - rule out the other big guns too.