WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2023

Replies

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,101 Member
    Lisa thanks for the additional information on trusts! We do have assets in both Arizona and Minnesota now. Looking forward to Thursday’s presentation. I’m hoping to get information so that we can get everything done quickly!

💕 Mary from Arizona/Minnesota

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,320 Member
    dlfk202000 wrote: »

Debbie - Thank you! Please tell me again why you were wearing it? Did you have damage from overuse, arthritis, ?? It looks like it likely stayed in place well with the strap.

Lanette

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,036 Member
    Reasonably good day.

Continuing prayers for Destiny.

Intentions for March:
    🔹Maintain weight < 140 (I have managed to stay at the lower end off the 140s)
    🔹Continue with Solid Habit development

Intentions for today:
    📍Weekly grocery shop✔️
    📍Solid habits✔️
    📍general chores✔️
    📍work on crochet 💚
    📍work on A/cs and prep for groups✔️

valiant nature
    banishing winter doldrums
    with vibrant colour

Virtual (((hugs))) and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 for all those those who need them.

🙋‍♀️ Miele failte to the newbies.

☘️ Terri
    March Action for Happiness:
    1. Set an intention to live with awareness and kindness. I intend to live with awareness and kindness
    2. Notice three things you find beautiful in the outside world.Trees silhouetted against the sky; the appearance of snowdrops in spring; the sound of waves breaking on the shore.
    3. Start today by appreciating your body and that you are alive. I meditate on this each morning when I wake up, and am grateful for each new opportunity to have a good day.
    4. Notice how you speak to yourself and choose to use kind words. Positive affirmations are very powerful. Be kind to yourself, always.
    5. Bring to mind people you care about and send love to them. We chatted with our girls about other family members, and raised a glass to them.
    6. Have a ‘no plans’ day and notice how that feels. I will do this tomorrow (7th)
    7. Take three calm breaths at regular intervals during your day.Resisting the temptation to plan my day. Serendipity reigns today.
    8. Eat mindfully. Appreciate the taste, texture and email of your food. ✔️
    9. Take a full breath in and out before you reply to others. I’m a great advocate of deep breathing, and find this works well.
    10. Get outside and notice how the weather feels on your face.I wasn’t looking forward to going outside this morning as we had snow overnight and it seemed very cold. However, the sun shone in a clear blue sky, and the wind had dropped right down again, and I spent time with my eyes closed feeling the heat on my face before I went into the centre for Latin Study.
    11. Stay fully present while drinking your cup of tea or coffee. Always! Gives me calm thinking time.
    12. Listen deeply to someone and really hear what they are saying. When I tried to do this with DH this morning, he got distracted by a discussion on What the Papers Say on TV. 😝 However, we often have in-depth discussions, usually over lunc and dinner.
    13. Pause to watch the sky or clouds for a few minutes today. The sun was valiantly trying to break through rain clouds just after sunrise, but the forecast is for heavy showers, but I’m watching the blue patches in hope that it clears up.
    14. Find ways to enjoy any chores or tasks that you do.Doing the task isn’t the problem 😝 It’s getting started that’s difficult. I sometimes put on my favourite music, or listen to a podcast.
    15. Stop. Breathe. Notice. Repeat regularly. Having coffee after putting away the week’s groceries. There is pink blossom on my prunus purpurea, magnolia buds are beginning to colour up, tulips and daffodils in the containers outside the window are beginning to bloom. There are lots of little birds flitting about in the trees. Spring is doing its best to banish the winter cold. This is a regular joy in my life.
    16. Get really absorbed with an interesting or creative activity.
    17. Look around and spot three thing you find unusual or pleasant.
    18. If you find yourself rushing, make an effort to slow down.
    19. Appreciate nature around you wherever you are.
    20. Focus on what makes you and others happy today.
    21. Listen to a piece of music without doing anything else.
    22. Notice something that is going well, even if today feels difficult.
    23. Tune into your feelings, without judging or trying to change them.
    24. Appreciate your hands and all the things they enable you to do.
    25 Focus your attention on the good things you take for granted.
    26. Choose too spend less times looking at screens today.
    27. Cultivate a feeling of loving-kindness towards others today.
    28. Notice when you are tired and take a break as soon as possible.
    29. Choose a different route today and see
    what you notice.
    30. Mentally scan your body and notice what you are feeling.
    31. Discover the joy in the simple things of life.
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,932 Member

Debbie - Thank you! Please tell me again why you were wearing it? Did you have damage from overuse, arthritis, ?? It looks like it likely stayed in place well with the strap.

Lanette

not sure why it acts up some times. It just starts hurting really bad for a week or so, wearing the brace really helps. It stays up really well, even during an hour of Zumba

Debbie
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,506 Member
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,028 Member
    Hello ladies!

I ate 1420 calories, a lot for me. Then I exercised for a final deficit of 117. We shall see whether I ruined my week at weigh-in on Friday.

Annie in Delaware
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,331 Member
    Did Cardio Core Dynamic Core DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Ttoal Body Strength Training DVD. After exercise stopped at Brevard Charities thrift store and got (another) blouse, then SPCA thrift store and got an outdoor extension cord. Not sure that we need it, but it was cheap enough and it looked to be in good condition. Then went to lady’s lunch. Pretty good, this place was an Asian/Mexican place.

Spaceship Relativity (the 3D printed one) is now scheduled to go up on Monday. Unfortunately, after we leave. ANOTHER SpaceX is going up Friday.

There’s going to be a condo board meeting tomorrow a.m. I’m surprised they’re having it so early. Well, they might have scheduled it before Relativity was scheduled for Monday. It was supposed to go up tomorrow at 1, but now it won’t. then vince wants to go to this pizza place. Not that I'm particularly looking forward to it. I'll check the menu online.

Then Vince and I went for a walk around the parking lot. It was very windy so Vince didn’t go for much but I walked more. I also walked some on the treadmill since I wasn’t sure we’d get a walk in today since it is so windy and chilly.

It’s supposed to be warmer tomorrow so maybe I’ll go to the pool and then cards at night

Mary – Shep is looking real good, and so his his “friend”. How cool with that bit of red fur!

Rosemarie – glad the service went as good as it can and you are now taking care of yourself. What strength you have! As much as Carol, even if she doesn’t think she does

After lunch played mahjongg. I have a feeling that this will be the last time I can play here.

Allie – have a great trip. At least you tried taking Miles for the story time, even if at this point he wasn’t crazy about it. Perhaps in a year or two

Kelly – 6 years! Where did the time go????

Beth – I heard a while ago that ice cream helped with migraines. To a certain extent, that makes sense, the ice cream causes brain freeze. Just never really found out if this was true or not

Again I mentioned to Vince about how much I had in my “landscape fund”. He says I have less. I just said “I don’t know what you’ve done with my money, but you can see I’ve kept very detailed records”.
    We shall see what happens. I did tell him that when we get home, I want to sell his mother’s china. I know that he’s asked me not to since it means something to him. I just told him that I don’t use it and I can use some of that money to repay the pandemic money I should get. So that’s what I intend to do.

Annie – I have a feeling that you didn’t wreck things for your weigh in. You’ve been at a deficit for so long. Sometimes it really helps to “trick” the body and once in a while eat over calories.

Michele thinking about having to leave (boo)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,817 Member
    Lisa- my dh is kind of like yours when it comes to leaving stuff when he is gone. He doesn't care because he will be gone, won't matter to him,(won't benefit him)
    The older I get, the more determined I am to spare our children disposing of our worldly goods. My plan is to own no real estate, have nothing in storage, own only one vehicle, and continue to dispose of personal belongings as an ongoing endeavor. Slowly but surely, I am accomplishing this goal. It will probably be another 2 years before I am satisfied with the absolute amount of our stuff, but I will get there. The only “extra” items that will be left to deal with at that time, I hope, are photographs. My spouse works against me, ordering things from Amazon that we already have, and I have talked myself blue in the face about it, to no avail, so I have given up on it. We send a lot of stuff back or give things away. I’m not sure why she does it, but it isn’t worth angsting about.

Karen in Virginia

My feelings about my stuff are similar to your husbands' (Debbie and Lisa) .. when I'm gone, I will no longer care about it all. So I enjoy it now.

My only concern is that my husband is taken care of. If I go before him, everything goes to him.

Not that there is much.

Similar to Karen, we have disposed of many of our worldly goods over the years. We own no real estate. We have nothing in storage. We have very little from each other's pasts.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Well, my eating plan crashed today. I was busy and skipped my two o'clock feeding, then had some of my parents food at six. It was half of a thick breaded and fried pork chop. I called it 350 calories for four ounces.

Now I have to do extra exercise tonight to see if I can get back with the program. I probably wiped out any weight loss for weigh-in on Friday. Oh well. Lesson learned: no skipping my food plan.

Annie in Delaware

Remember, it takes about 3500 calories to make up 1 pound.

Machka in Oz
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    <3
    Betsy in NW WA
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,439 Member
    Okay - so far the tofu is a stone bust, my only reaction is blerrrgh. Not from the taste, but the texture. I've got the drained, pressed and patted dry cubes in the air fryer (coated in corn starch and a little salt and oil) for ten more minutes, and maybe I'll try a couple with the miso. The soy sauce was a NO. Ah well, you never know if you don't try, right?

Trying to decide what to try next...

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

Putting teriyaki sauce and frying them is the only way I can eat it. I get the firm tofu.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,506 Member
  • Machka9
    Okay - so far the tofu is a stone bust, my only reaction is blerrrgh. Not from the taste, but the texture. I've got the drained, pressed and patted dry cubes in the air fryer (coated in corn starch and a little salt and oil) for ten more minutes, and maybe I'll try a couple with the miso. The soy sauce was a NO. Ah well, you never know if you don't try, right?

Trying to decide what to try next...

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

Putting teriyaki sauce and frying them is the only way I can eat it. I get the firm tofu.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

About the only way I liked the firm tofu was when I used a pastry cutter to break it down into pieces that sort of look like mince, and then cooking it in a spaghetti sauce.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    So much fuss for such a small bite!

But, as you can see in the photo, it is/was infected (the white area above the bite), and it is so close to tendons which could potentially become infected.

vngyzdccpdv7.jpg

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Lisa- my dh is kind of like yours when it comes to leaving stuff when he is gone. He doesn't care because he will be gone, won't matter to him,(won't benefit him)
    The older I get, the more determined I am to spare our children disposing of our worldly goods. My plan is to own no real estate, have nothing in storage, own only one vehicle, and continue to dispose of personal belongings as an ongoing endeavor. Slowly but surely, I am accomplishing this goal. It will probably be another 2 years before I am satisfied with the absolute amount of our stuff, but I will get there. The only “extra” items that will be left to deal with at that time, I hope, are photographs. My spouse works against me, ordering things from Amazon that we already have, and I have talked myself blue in the face about it, to no avail, so I have given up on it. We send a lot of stuff back or give things away. I’m not sure why she does it, but it isn’t worth angsting about.

Karen in Virginia

My feelings about my stuff are similar to your husbands' (Debbie and Lisa) .. when I'm gone, I will no longer care about it all. So I enjoy it now.

My only concern is that my husband is taken care of. If I go before him, everything goes to him.

Not that there is much.

Similar to Karen, we have disposed of many of our worldly goods over the years. We own no real estate. We have nothing in storage. We have very little from each other's pasts.

Machka in Oz

xz2qzwpdr9tb.png
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,811 Member
    <3
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,042 Member
    edited March 2023
    Lisa you can keep the value of your home out of probate either by putting it into a trust or making someone the beneficiary of your property. A friend's family had their mother make one of the brothers the beneficiary. He died, and it was his only asset. He died with medical bills and now it is very difficult for my friend to sell the property that they have been paying the up keep and taxes because there is a lean on the property.

When it is in a trust it becomes part of your estate and it does not have to go through probate. Probate can get expensive because of lawyer fees. My parents had a trust and it made settling their estate so much easier and cheaper than if it had gone through probate.

If a property still has a mortgage or a reverse mortgage I am not sure how that would be handled as part of an estate. I do not know if the principal could become part of a trust.
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,036 Member
    edited March 2023
    I have a leisurely morning ahead, and then going to a quiz after lunch.

Intentions for March:
    🔹Maintain weight < 140 (I have managed to stay at the lower end off the 140s)
    🔹Continue with Solid Habit development

Intentions for today:
    📍Weekly grocery shop✔️
    📍Solid habits✔️
    📍general chores✔️
    📍work on crochet 💚
    📍work on A/cs and prep for groups✔️

valiant nature
    banishing winter doldrums
    with vibrant colour

Virtual (((hugs))) and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 for all those those who need them.

🙋‍♀️ Miele failte to the newbies.

☘️ Terri
    March Action for Happiness:
    1. Set an intention to live with awareness and kindness. I intend to live with awareness and kindness
    2. Notice three things you find beautiful in the outside world.Trees silhouetted against the sky; the appearance of snowdrops in spring; the sound of waves breaking on the shore.
    3. Start today by appreciating your body and that you are alive. I meditate on this each morning when I wake up, and am grateful for each new opportunity to have a good day.
    4. Notice how you speak to yourself and choose to use kind words. Positive affirmations are very powerful. Be kind to yourself, always.
    5. Bring to mind people you care about and send love to them. We chatted with our girls about other family members, and raised a glass to them.
    6. Have a ‘no plans’ day and notice how that feels. I will do this tomorrow (7th)
    7. Take three calm breaths at regular intervals during your day.Resisting the temptation to plan my day. Serendipity reigns today.
    8. Eat mindfully. Appreciate the taste, texture and email of your food. ✔️
    9. Take a full breath in and out before you reply to others. I’m a great advocate of deep breathing, and find this works well.
    10. Get outside and notice how the weather feels on your face.I wasn’t looking forward to going outside this morning as we had snow overnight and it seemed very cold. However, the sun shone in a clear blue sky, and the wind had dropped right down again, and I spent time with my eyes closed feeling the heat on my face before I went into the centre for Latin Study.
    11. Stay fully present while drinking your cup of tea or coffee. Always! Gives me calm thinking time.
    12. Listen deeply to someone and really hear what they are saying. When I tried to do this with DH this morning, he got distracted by a discussion on What the Papers Say on TV. 😝 However, we often have in-depth discussions, usually over lunc and dinner.
    13. Pause to watch the sky or clouds for a few minutes today. The sun was valiantly trying to break through rain clouds just after sunrise, but the forecast is for heavy showers, but I’m watching the blue patches in hope that it clears up.
    14. Find ways to enjoy any chores or tasks that you do.Doing the task isn’t the problem 😝 It’s getting started that’s difficult. I sometimes put on my favourite music, or listen to a podcast.
    15. Stop. Breathe. Notice. Repeat regularly. Having coffee after putting away the week’s groceries. There is pink blossom on my prunus purpurea, magnolia buds are beginning to colour up, tulips and daffodils in the containers outside the window are beginning to bloom. There are lots of little birds flitting about in the trees. Spring is doing its best to banish the winter cold. This is a regular joy in my life.
    16. Get really absorbed with an interesting or creative activity. Now, that has never been a problem for me. I have the ability to totally zone out distractions whenever I want to.
    25 Focus your attention on the good things you take for granted.
    29. Choose a different route today and see
    what you notice.

• Machka9
    kevrit wrote: »
    I am doing this Happiness calendar for March. Feel free to copy or simply use it if you’d like!

March, 2023 Action for happiness.org
    RVRita
    1. Set an intention to live with awareness and kindness. I intend to live with more awareness and kindness every day.
    2. Notice three things you find beautiful in the outside world.

Sky, sand and ocean
    15jmjq5nsagk.png

3. Start today by appreciating your body and that you are alive.

Yesterday's 54 km bicycle ride and 5 km walk on the beach ...

4. Notice how you speak to yourself and choose to use kind words.

19nper8umeoo.png

5. Bring to mind people you care about and send love to them.

:heart:

6. Have a ‘no plans’ day and notice how that feels.

The only plans we had yesterday was a stroll through a neighbouring arty town to look at the shops.

7. Take three calm breaths at regular intervals during your day.

I do box breathing at some point just about every day.

8. Eat mindfully. Appreciate the taste, texture and smell of your food.
    :)

9. Take a full breath in and out before you reply to others.
    Many times.

10. Get outside and notice how the weather feels on your face.

Afternoon walk ...

gk9c2ciwlcx2.png

11. Stay fully present while drinking your cup of tea or coffee.

Not so much today. But usually. :)

12. Listen deeply to someone and really hear what they are saying.

Haven't talked to anyone other than husband today.

13. Pause to watch the sky or clouds for a few minutes today.

Love watching the sky. :) Our house is especially well located for that, and at certain times of year, we get fantastic sunsets!

jomkq0tqutyd.png
    05wmx6w4ig4u.png
    7vc4lxr8ihsj.png

14. Find ways to enjoy any chores or tasks that you do.

Laundry! I don't mind doing laundry. :)

15. Stop. Breathe. Notice. Repeat regularly.

That's about all I can do today. I haven't done anything which requires effort.

I looked up the vaccine I had yesterday. Boostrix: diphtheria-tetanus-acellular pertussis (whooping cough). I am set for 10 years!

But headache, tiredness, body aches, sore joints and nausea are common side effects ... which I am experiencing.

My doctor also informed me that the antibiotic "cocktail" I've been prescribed will make me feel ill and give me a horrible taste in my mouth. But it is only for 5 days and should do the trick.

16. Get really absorbed with an interesting or creative activity.

I've been colouring these days because I'm not allowed to do much more. Fortunately, I enjoy colouring. :)

I've also been putting away laundry and rearranging a closet.

25. Focus your attention on the good things you take for granted.
    29. Choose a different route today and see what you notice.

Machka in Oz