Just Give Me 10 Days -Round 217

Replies

• CamandJarvis
    CamandJarvis Posts: 2,021 Member
    edited March 2023
    fmfdfa2020 wrote: »
    @fmfdfa2020 I make my oatmeal with almond milk. Tastes much better than with water.

@SheilaBoneham I haven't tried almond milk. I don't know why since my husband drinks it and has tried to get me to try it. It may be a mental thing with my severe allergy to peanuts, I've always stayed away from all nuts except for pecans (why, just pecans, I have no idea ;)) I'll have to give the almond milk a try, or maybe soy milk. There are certain times where you just need milk, like yesterday when I wanted mashed potatoes. :) Thank you!

I'm glad to see you and @shmmm3 are joining me and @musicsax in the 100-day binge-free challenge!!
    @fmfdfa2020
    Not sure if you're willing, but I've also tried oat milk (not a nut!) if you need to ease it. I bounce around the non-dairy milk types based on what is on sale/cheaper at the time.
  • dvmmcw8273
    dvmmcw8273 Posts: 84 Member
    Daily weigh in when possible and zero alcohol

3/13 - travel no scale. Alcohol ❌
    3/14 - travel no scale. Alcohol ✅
    3/15 - travel no scale. Alcohol ✅
    3/16 - 174.0 😔
    3/17
    3/18
    3/19
    3/20
    3/21
    3/22
  • shmmm3
    shmmm3 Posts: 255 Member
    @fmfdfa2020 I can't help but share about my absolutely favorite mashed potatoes recipe when you mentioned adding milk to them.

First, I use only gold potatoes because they are so creamy and buttery, never russets. I generously salt the boiling water.
    Second, I drain the potatoes and save the potato water in a coffee mug to add back in little by little as needed while mashing. All the potato starch in the water makes the mashed potatoes thick creamy and really flavorful. No milk needed at all.
    Third, mash in your needed amount of kerrygold butter, salt, and pepper.

I've found that adding the potato water back instead of milk lets me cut the butter I use way down and brings out more flavor in the potatoes.

Optional add ins: cream cheese and/or a bulb of roasted garlic (cut the top off of bulb of garlic, drizzle with olive oil, and roast in the toaster oven for about 45-60 minutes. once cooled, just squeeze out the garlic and mash away). It's super easy to make the fanciest tasting mashed potatoes as long as you remember to start the garlic early. I use the toaster oven to save on energy costs but you can always do a batch of them and store in the fridge till you're ready to use.
  • fmfdfa2020
    fmfdfa2020 Posts: 890 Member
    edited March 2023
    shmmm3 wrote: »
    @fmfdfa2020 I can't help but share about my absolutely favorite mashed potatoes recipe when you mentioned adding milk to them.

First, I use only gold potatoes because they are so creamy and buttery, never russets. I generously salt the boiling water.
    Second, I drain the potatoes and save the potato water in a coffee mug to add back in little by little as needed while mashing. All the potato starch in the water makes the mashed potatoes thick creamy and really flavorful. No milk needed at all.
    Third, mash in your needed amount of kerrygold butter, salt, and pepper.

I've found that adding the potato water back instead of milk lets me cut the butter I use way down and brings out more flavor in the potatoes.

Optional add ins: cream cheese and/or a bulb of roasted garlic (cut the top off of bulb of garlic, drizzle with olive oil, and roast in the toaster oven for about 45-60 minutes. once cooled, just squeeze out the garlic and mash away). It's super easy to make the fanciest tasting mashed potatoes as long as you remember to start the garlic early. I use the toaster oven to save on energy costs but you can always do a batch of them and store in the fridge till you're ready to use.

@shmmm3 That is so cool - no milk! Love it! I will try this next time. I only use gold potatoes too. I love garlic mash potatoes. My husband has been growing garlic for years, so plenty of it. I think roasted garlic is the best but I do remember seeing Martha Stewart add garlic cloves to her boiling water with her potatoes, then just squeeze the garlic out. Sounds so easy but I haven't tried it. I've never added cream cheese. I will try adding a little. Thanks! Debra
  • fmfdfa2020
    fmfdfa2020 Posts: 890 Member
    edited March 2023
    fmfdfa2020 wrote: »
    @fmfdfa2020 I make my oatmeal with almond milk. Tastes much better than with water.

@SheilaBoneham I haven't tried almond milk. I don't know why since my husband drinks it and has tried to get me to try it. It may be a mental thing with my severe allergy to peanuts, I've always stayed away from all nuts except for pecans (why, just pecans, I have no idea ;)) I'll have to give the almond milk a try, or maybe soy milk. There are certain times where you just need milk, like yesterday when I wanted mashed potatoes. :) Thank you!
    I'm glad to see you and @shmmm3 are joining me and @musicsax in the 100-day binge-free challenge!!
    @fmfdfa2020
    Not sure if you're willing, but I've also tried oat milk (not a nut!) if you need to ease it. I bounce around the non-dairy milk types based on what is on sale/cheaper at the time.

@CamandJarvis Wow, I definitely don't know much about all the different milk products. I've always drank cow's milk but I never quite felt right afterwards, and an allergy test has now confirmed my allergy. I always wanted to stop it anyway because I don't think it's good for you. I'm allergic to eggs also, but I haven't eaten them in a long time because they make me too sick. I'm pretty much allergic to everything under the sun - it's absolutely nuts (pun intended : ;)) So, oat milk? I have never heard of it. I just asked my husband and he said are you sure they didn't say goat's milk (he was trying to be funny LOL). Anyway, I just googled it and will try it for sure, along with almond milk, soy milk and mashed potatoes with no milk. Thanks everyone!!