WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2023

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,791 Member
    edited March 2023
    kevrit wrote: »
    I am doing this Happiness calendar for March. Feel free to copy or simply use it if you’d like!

March, 2023 Action for happiness.org
    RVRita
    1. Set an intention to live with awareness and kindness. I intend to live with more awareness and kindness every day.
    2. Notice three things you find beautiful in the outside world.

Sky, sand and ocean
    15jmjq5nsagk.png

3. Start today by appreciating your body and that you are alive.

Yesterday's 54 km bicycle ride and 5 km walk on the beach ...

4. Notice how you speak to yourself and choose to use kind words.

19nper8umeoo.png

5. Bring to mind people you care about and send love to them.

:heart:

6. Have a ‘no plans’ day and notice how that feels.

The only plans we had yesterday was a stroll through a neighbouring arty town to look at the shops.

7. Take three calm breaths at regular intervals during your day.

I do box breathing at some point just about every day.

8. Eat mindfully. Appreciate the taste, texture and smell of your food.
    :)

9. Take a full breath in and out before you reply to others.
    Many times.

10. Get outside and notice how the weather feels on your face.

Afternoon walk ...

gk9c2ciwlcx2.png

11. Stay fully present while drinking your cup of tea or coffee.

Not so much today. But usually. :)

12. Listen deeply to someone and really hear what they are saying.

Haven't talked to anyone other than husband today.

13. Pause to watch the sky or clouds for a few minutes today.

Love watching the sky. :) Our house is especially well located for that, and at certain times of year, we get fantastic sunsets!

jomkq0tqutyd.png
    05wmx6w4ig4u.png
    7vc4lxr8ihsj.png

14. Find ways to enjoy any chores or tasks that you do.

Laundry! I don't mind doing laundry. :)

15. Stop. Breathe. Notice. Repeat regularly.

That's about all I can do today. I haven't done anything which requires effort.

I looked up the vaccine I had yesterday. Boostrix: diphtheria-tetanus-acellular pertussis (whooping cough). I am set for 10 years!

But headache, tiredness, body aches, sore joints and nausea are common side effects ... which I am experiencing.

My doctor also informed me that the antibiotic "cocktail" I've been prescribed will make me feel ill and give me a horrible taste in my mouth. But it is only for 5 days and should do the trick.

16. Get really absorbed with an interesting or creative activity.

I've been colouring these days because I'm not allowed to do much more. Fortunately, I enjoy colouring. :)

I've also been putting away laundry and rearranging a closet.

17. Look around and spot three thing you find unusual or pleasant.

The place is slightly neater and cleaner than usual. That's both unusual and pleasant. February was major house-cleaning month, then we went on holidays so the place is still clean.

I'm at home, surrounded by things I like.

There are photos I have taken recently showing on my second computer screen.

19. If you find yourself rushing, make an effort to slow down.
    20. Appreciate nature around you wherever you are.
    21. Focus on what makes you and others happy today.
    22. Listen to a piece of music without doing anything else.
    23. Notice something that is going well, even if today feels difficult.
    24. Tune into your feelings, without judging or trying to change them.
    25. Appreciate your hands and all the things they enable you to do.
    26. Focus your attention on the good things you take for granted.
    27. Choose too spend less times looking at screens today.
    28. Cultivate a feeling of loving-kindness towards others today.
    29. Notice when you are tired and take a break as soon as possible.
    30. Choose a different route today and see what you notice.
    31. Mentally scan your body and notice what you are feeling.
    32. Discover the joy in the simple things of life.

Machka in Oz
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,827 Member
    Good morning all! Happy Friday!
    I am tired! I was supposed to have eight kids here, today, for St. Patty's Day; but the number is down to three (and all under 3 yrs). So...I am planning to celebrate with them next week. We made leprechaun traps in the back yard yesterday (colored mixture of cornstarch and water with some glitter added). The three that I have today, most likely, will not remember painting the "traps", so it will be easy to just postpone finding the leprechaun "nice try" consolation prize next week when the bigger kids are here, again.
    Sorry to hear of the police shootings in Edmonton :( Heartbreaking for those families.
    Heather- Love the pics of the kids at the zoo! Beautiful snake that Bea got to hold!
    Allie- Sweet Myles! Looks like a fun program for babies! Enjoy your trip!
    Rita- I love that Star Wars has made your "appreciation" list. It has a spot or two in my gratitude journals, as well. It has provided great bonding material for me and my son. My daughter as well, on a smaller scale.

Storms moving through Texas. Makes me nervous for my daughter and family. As a girl who has always had a basement to go to during tornadoes, I know she gets very nervous about taking shelter in a bathroom/tub. I will be SO glad when they are in the midwest. Land of homes with basements!

Welcome to all of the new ladies

ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Machka, I am so sorry your husband was put on that drug. Lots of people have undesirable side effects from Compazine (Prochlorpérazine) - I would suspect far more than the 1-10% reported, with side effects to include severe dystonia which can result in involuntary torticollis that makes the poor patient look and feel like the little girl in The Exorcist. It’s an antipsychotic that is/was commonly prescribed for nausea and far less often for anxiety and depression. It isn’t a drug I would prescribe lightly if at all.

The drug my wife is on for migraine prevention is Depakote (divalproex sodium), an anti-convulsant. Migraine prevention is an off-label use; usually it is prescribed for seizure disorders. The incidence of reversible Parkinsonism is 0.1% - 1%.

Do you remember if Topamax (topiramate) was the drug you took for migraines that made you drop things?

And yes, it was disconcerting when that information about Nexium (esomeprazole magnesium) came out. It’s such a great drug for GERD. But those potential side effects…

Karen in Virginia
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Heather, Mandrax was a combination of Benadryl and Quaaludes. Yikes. Your poor grandmother.
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Karen, how exciting to possibly have your loved one back.
    <3
    Betsy in NW WA
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,791 Member
    edited March 2023
    Machka, I am so sorry your husband was put on that drug. Lots of people have undesirable side effects from Compazine (Prochlorpérazine) - I would suspect far more than the 1-10% reported, with side effects to include severe dystonia which can result in involuntary torticollis that makes the poor patient look and feel like the little girl in The Exorcist. It’s an antipsychotic that is/was commonly prescribed for nausea and far less often for anxiety and depression. It isn’t a drug I would prescribe lightly if at all.

The drug my wife is on for migraine prevention is Depakote (divalproex sodium), an anti-convulsant. Migraine prevention is an off-label use; usually it is prescribed for seizure disorders. The incidence of reversible Parkinsonism is 0.1% - 1%.

Do you remember if Topamax (topiramate) was the drug you took for migraines that made you drop things?

And yes, it was disconcerting when that information about Nexium (esomeprazole magnesium) came out. It’s such a great drug for GERD. But those potential side effects…

Karen in Virginia

I was very glad when my husband went off Prochlorpérazine!!

A surgeon prescribed me Nexium in 2014 after a gastroscopy, and told me that I would have to be on it for the rest of my life. Several months later, I was in the midst of all those symptoms ... just a mess. I couldn't figure out how or why I'd gone from a fit and active person with heaps of energy into a twitching lump, with chest pains and shortness of breath who cried on the sofa every day. I was bursting into tears at work, I could hardly use a mouse anymore. It was awful! Then I started doing some research like you're doing and it turns out, Nexium was one of the worst things I could have been prescribed. Not only did it not help my GERD, but it threw me into a number of vitamin and mineral deficiencies.

It took me a couple months to ease off it, but by the time I was off, I felt so much better!! A couple months later, I joined MFP, lost 25kg and regained a whole lot of fitness.

I don't remember what I was given for migraines. I was only on it for 2 or 3 months when I was about 20. I remember that it wasn't for pain, because my migraines have rarely been painful. It was to stop other symptoms. And in the mid-to-late 1980s it was relatively new. In my head, it may have started with M, but that might not be right.

I do remember that it was a small, dark green pill, in a foil pack, that I put on or under my tongue.

I'm Googling and Rizatriptan (Maxalt) sounds sort of familiar, although it might be too new for the time period.
    https://medlineplus.gov/druginfo/meds/a601109.html

Medication for seizures is something else that is fraught with difficulties. I hope your wife shows significant improvements going off that medication.

My husband has just gone through a medication change for his seizures in the hopes that he would have less dizziness, and I think it has been successful.

Machka in Oz
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,315 Member
    Good morning ladies -

I was on Sumatriptan for a period of time to tame my migraines. After menopause, the migraines eventually went away. I only had "aura" a few times, it was mostly intense pain, sensitivity to light and sound and nausea. Glad those days are gone.

I ran across this article last week regarding migraine relief - a Randomized Control Trial which showed ice packs applied to the neck/carotid artery for 30 minutes significantly reduced migraine pain in the majority of individuals. From what I could determine from reading the article, it was a small study and follow-up for long term relief wasn't addressed. So did the cold therapy derail the migraine or just postpone it? Looks like it was effective for some folks an hour after the pain diminished.

If I had a migraine these days, I'd be willing to try even if there's only a 10% chance. Here's the study-

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3727573/

Count me in having Pizza yesterday too! :D

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

• Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,020 Member
    Good morning ladies!

Yes migraine drugs are tricky. The first prescription I had for them actually had more migraines as a side effect. And I got more. I always had the best results with a large dose of caffeine taken immediately when the migraine starts. I get the aura, which can render me blind for thirty minutes or so before the pain starts. But I haven't had many lately thank goodness.

Meanwhile I lost almost a pound this week. Yay! I'm starting the 160's which is significant to me as my clothes will be looser again. You were right about that one pork chop not being the end of the program. And I lost an inch from my hips. Yay!

Today will be a slow day. I have to go to the bank, and the pharmacy, and write an email to a friend whose birthday is tomorrow. And yoga and aerobic walking.

Have a great day my friends!

Annie in Delaware
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,292 Member
    <3
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,427 Member
    👍🏻
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,040 Member
    :heart:
  • Anniesquats100