WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2023

Replies

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,896 Member
    Machka- I sure hope today was A LOT better. That is just way too much in one day.

Rain AGAIN today(with more tomorrow)

Had lots of exercise yesterday-81min walking the wetlands and it was AMAZING, then an hour of zumba last night, finishing out my day at just over 20,000steps/9miles. Then, after all that, I had trouble sleeping. Did fall asleep after my kitten came and snuggled under my chin.
    No exercise today.
    Started my day at the dentist again- hoping this is the last time to get the buildup done on the back of the tooth I broke. Rained all day, including while we stood out waiting for the kids to get out of school(and of course they got out late again)
    Dh goes to work at midnight tonight(only day of the week he will be working again)then going straight to his mom's when he gets done so I won't get woken up at 7;30 which I am so looking forward to.

Just heard that Destiny will be having her surgery tomorrow to have her leg amputated. She really needs all the prayers she can get.

Debbie
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,896 Member
    Last week I bought a bunch of mackerel in different flavors, some in a Mediterranean sauce, some in tomato paste, others in a lemony olive oil. I have only had tinned mackerel in olive oil and I just mixed with a bit of mayo and squirt of wasabi over sticky white rice. Do any of you have some suggestions?
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    In a mackerel quandary in
    Wa

Dh eats his mackerel over rice with a little furikake.
    I eat sardines on crackers- nothing fancy.
  • myvt9v4crh
    myvt9v4crh Posts: 391 Member
    B)
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,389 Member
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Last week I bought a bunch of mackerel in different flavors, some in a Mediterranean sauce, some in tomato paste, others in a lemony olive oil. I have only had tinned mackerel in olive oil and I just mixed with a bit of mayo and squirt of wasabi over sticky white rice. Do any of you have some suggestions?
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    In a mackerel quandary in
    Wa

Dh eats his mackerel over rice with a little furikake.
    I eat sardines on crackers- nothing fancy.

I think the tomato based mackerel I will mix with cold, cooked pasta and olives, then the olive oil based, I will have with my rice, or put in my Vietnamese rice paper rolls with rice and avocado.👍🏻 iI normally drain the oil off anyway. Is furikake the sprinkles in different flavors, seaweed, etc?
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Rebecca,

I wasn’t familiar with furikake - here is what Wikipedia says about it:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Furikake
    Otonano Furikake01.jpg
    Furikake sprinkled on rice
    Media: Furikake
    Furikake (振り掛け, ふりかけ, 振掛け, 振掛) is a dry Japanese condiment[1] sprinkled on top of cooked rice, vegetables, and fish, or used as an ingredient in onigiri. It typically consists of a mixture of dried fish, sesame seeds, chopped seaweed, sugar, salt, and monosodium glutamate
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,124 Member
    edited March 2023
    Just checked, Karen, I can get down and up from the floor with one hand. No knees. Not too bad, I think, but I would expect that with all my exercise and strength training. I do a lot of knee exercises, which strengthen the leg muscles around the knee. My knees do feel a little sore today after my 5k 'run' on Monday and a 5k walk yesterday afternoon, on top of my morning sessions. I always get up from the rower, which is quite low, below the knees, with no hands. I can’t help feeling a but envious of youthful health and strength when I see the effortless ease on that video. But I am grateful for my own mobility at 73. I carry a cup of tea in each hand up a long flight of stairs with a curve in the morning. I am very grateful for our stairs. I am up and down them all the time. In the future, if we were frail or injured, we could live on the ground floor.

Yesterday, my son suggested that we host the family annual Easter Egg Hunt at our house. DH said he would give up his cricket. He will do the clues etc. My son will have to send him instructions on how it's done. I offered buffet lunch of poached chicken, falafel (homemade) and hummus. Son is bringing AF wine, gluten free bread and a Greek salad. Salted caramel ice-cream and GF Millionaires Shortbread for dessert. (I will buy those today from M&S)

I'm out for posh lunch today with G. Fish. Looking forward to seeing her. DH has volunteered to make chicken stew for dinner. Our favourite.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    I can stand up from a chair or even a low stool with no hands, but when I get up from sitting or kneeling in the garden, I use one hand.

When I am gardening, I am often up and down and up and down for an hour or more. I lose count.

Or I am stepping up and down from ledges and tall raised beds (knee height or mid thigh). And hiking up and down the stairs in various places in the yard.

2 or 3 hours out there on a Saturday can be a workout.

M in Oz
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,306 Member
    Debbie-prayers for Destiny and family today.

Karen-love the photo you shared. I try to do that but then slide into old habits. Maybe I do have more stored up than I think-I usually work my way back to balance quickly.

So with morning stretches I focused on how I get down to floor and up. I can go down ok to my knees then use a hand on floor-same with getting up. With two artificial hips my flexibility may not be as good as some but I do continue to work on it.

Have pinwheel planting for Child Abuse Prevention month then go to meeting to determine next stages for damaged property.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio
  • Machka9
    Just got a call from my consultant. I am going into hospital on Friday (possibly for a week). 😱

I hope you'll be OK!

M in Oz

• Machka9
    edited March 2023
    How to Correctly Get Up and Down From the Floor

https://youtu.be/tXpeFnD52nk
  • Machka9
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Barbie Looks like I missed your birthday, belated best wishes. Perhaps the “glorious” free hour was a belated birthday present? ;)
    Viv do you have a birthday coming up soon?

Lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    2023: Be of good cheer. March: Move more, fuel better, live NOW.

Happy Birthday Barbie and Viv!

• Machka9
    ginnytez wrote: »
    Allie-who is the doctor prescribing the Celexa? His regular md? While Carmine may not be saying thank you, it sounds like he is screaming for help. Is he still going to counseling? I find it strange that his insurance won't cover anything toward residential if it is deemed medically necessary. For some time now they have been required to provide mental health services in a manner similar to medical treatment and that includes inpatient stays. Those are major parts of the Affordable Care Act which I do not believe have changed. At the least there should be some sort of intensive outpatient covered. Most states also have some specialized programs for children and some alternative financial programs. Sorry to sound pushy, but part of my job is to ensure safety of children. We are seeing too many teens be written off since they are too difficult.

Screaming for help ... but no one seems to be really listening. :(

I hope Carmine gets help before it is too late.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,638 Member
    I will see what I can find out.but again they have no mental health coverage in house treatment or otherwise.Carmine should have been in counseling a long time ago,yes he goes every other week at 100.00 a pop that Tracy pays for out of pocket..
    He hates the school he is at,but its a technical high school,but we all went to Portland high school and it got us nowhere.And Tracy wont let him go back there.
    He just doesn't know what he wants..
    His pediatrician prescribed the celexa.
  • minicooper452
    minicooper452 Posts: 614 Member
    Welcome newbies and returnees! (((hugs))) to those who need them.

What a wonderful way to start my day... with MilesSmiles! Thanks Allie! Sending prayers for everything....... I just can't even begin to imagine what your family is dealing with. I can only think that you want to wrap you arms around Carmine and hug it all better.

Happy HUMPday!

Happy Birthday Barbie!
    29. Choose a different route today and see what you notice.
    Love and Blessings, Carla, in MN
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    <3
  • myvt9v4crh
    myvt9v4crh Posts: 391 Member
    Happy Birthday Barbie & Viv! I hope it is a great day for each of you,. ❤️

Allie—I hope Carmine’s doctor’s Rx for Celexa will help. Finger’s crossed. Machka has a good point—what teenager knows what they want? Does Carmine have a best friend? I hope so. I had a best friend & still contact her once in a while. 😊

Katla in Illinois