WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2023

Replies

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,316 Member
    Vicki - that's terrible about your friend and the hospital wanting to send her home. So very glad you were there to set them straight. I have heard that Medicaid patients often get just the bare minimum but that's ridiculous. I think the whole pandemic and docs/nurses quitting over the stress or whatever has really impacted some regions. So far our local hospitals are doing well except the ER is always super busy, long wait times. I guess people don't have regular docs anymore, not sure.

Barbara - when we bought this place 16 years ago, the house was only 11 years old and already shingles were blowing off. Cheapskate developer cut-corner stuff. When we had the roof replaced, we told the Roof Doctor we wanted 30 year shingles plus extra glue under the shingles on the south side of the house which gets the most wind. So when the nice young fella came out yesterday (also Roof Doctor) and I asked him how the shingles looked. I pulled out the paperwork from 2007 and said "we paid a premium for 30 year shingles. What do think we'll get - a little over 20?" He kind of stammered and smiled, said yes. But so far they still look good.

Anyhow, after being caught short throughout our married lives with very little put away for emergencies, I started an "R & M" fund in the budget with this house. Replacement and Maintenance. So I have the eventual roof replacement already funded unless the economy totally tanks and my savings all goes down the drain. :# . Who knows, I might want to move in the next few years if the neighborhood turns over. I sure hope not.

And thank you for posting that SWSY YouTube workout. It's great to have a class to follow along with like that. <3

Rosemarie - great job doing 2 miles on the treadmill! That's really an accomplishment. There are so many ladies in their 60's and older that don't move much at all. I am so glad we have this group and can cheer each other on. I keep reminding myself - I don't have to do it all, just do one thing. The rest will come.

As I was doing dishes tonight, who did I see run across the back yard but MR SQUIRREL! I took the borrowed trap back this morning. I'm still not certain it's a squirrel getting into that shop attic. Everyone says birds. I went on Amazon and found an inexpensive squirrel/small rodent live trap, bigger than the ones I have, so will bait it and put it out just to see what I catch. Some of the commenters said they were actually catching birds in them. So we'll see. It's small enough that I won't be greeted by a raccoon or opossum, I hope.

Have a great evening. :D

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,901 Member
    :) One of my favorite wise sayings is "The longest journey starts with a single step". Everything I do today in my exercise program started small and gradually increased and improved. I remember after a long lazy time in my life, I told my friend that I would start on the treadmill the next day no matter what. The next morning I got on the treadmill in my nightgown in the morning and walked for five minutes. Today (twenty years later) I walk outdoors for nearly two hours every morning and 20-40 minutes nearly every afternoon. The great thing about SWSY is that it starts you with light weights and simple movements and allows gradual growth.

:) You have to be your own cheerleader. It's great if someone else notices but waiting for congratulations from others is a recipe for disappointment.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    After reading all the comments about getting up from the floor, I am glad I am still doing floor exercises. It is hard to think about getting older and not being able to do things the way we used to.

Hugs to all of us!

Jeannie in New Mexico
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,492 Member
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    <3
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,807 Member
    <3
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,099 Member
    edited March 2023
    Good evening ladies!

I ate 1083 calories today, Yay! And I did horseback riding and I rode my bike for a deficit of 189. I feel bad because I didn't do my dumbbells. I ran out of time. But those aren't bad numbers.

My dad invited a roofing salesman into the house and he stayed for over three hours. He eventually sold my dad a new roof, so I'm rather nervous about that. It's a lot of money to spend, and Dad
    didn't research the company. It's not under my control, so I should just let it go.

Annie in Delaware

We just replaced three roofs. Our house, our cabin, and our garage. Make sure that he gets more than one estimate. They can really vary in price. Make sure they are bonded and licensed. Metal is now better than shingles. There are also rules on removing layers of shingles. But never go with just your first bid. Since you were there helping in caring for your mom and dad, you should talk to him about this. And also get references from this guy. If this guy just showed up to your house without being invited, that is very suspicious. That is a big red flag!! The same as a scam.

💕 Mary from Arizona/Minnesota
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,183 Member
    Annie - Definitely a scam. Put your foot down. Get other estimates if you really, really need a roof. At his age, I doubt he does. In the UK you can cancel any contract like that within a certain amount of time, no problem. 'Cooling off period'. You can also report him. If he asks for money upfront, tell the police. Elder abuse and fraud.
    You are in a very difficult position with your parents as they are both clearly incapable of looking after themselves, but won't let you take over. I feel for you.
    I don't know your parents, so I don't know if tact and helpful advice would work best, or if you will have to just use sheer b....y mindedness and make a fuss. Big hugs. I could never do what you are doing, being stuck in the middle. I know I despise those kind of people who prey on the elderly. He would get very short shrift with me! I am not polite. DH is more gullible than me and has made a few mistakes like that. Fortunately, only small ones. I am suspicious of everyone. Could you ring some organisation like Age Concern and get some advice and help? They are used to this kind of thing and can give advice.
    Please at least persuade your stubborn father that it is 'good business practice' to get several estimates from reputable companies. Do you have something like our '"Checkatrade " over there? Tell him that clever people do 'due diligence' before agreeing to anything.
    Best of luck. You will have to change the habits of a lifetime from being a dutiful daughter to being their proper carer.
    Lots of love, Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,099 Member
    edited March 2023
    Annie & Heather here in the USA we have 3 days to cancel a contract or purchase. It’s called buyer’s remorse. You have a “cooling off” period. Some contracts give you 10-15 days. Some businesses have to have the cancellation policy written in the contract. Some require a certified letter. Hopefully your father didn’t give him any money or credit card information.

4cixwmx3k7xn.jpeg
    If he paid with a credit card your dad can call the credit card company and dispute the charges. Or even call the bank if he gave them a check.

💕Mary from Arizona/Minnesota
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,799 Member
    Vicki - that's terrible about your friend and the hospital wanting to send her home. So very glad you were there to set them straight. I have heard that Medicaid patients often get just the bare minimum but that's ridiculous. I think the whole pandemic and docs/nurses quitting over the stress or whatever has really impacted some regions. So far our local hospitals are doing well except the ER is always super busy, long wait times. I guess people don't have regular docs anymore, not sure.

Barbara - when we bought this place 16 years ago, the house was only 11 years old and already shingles were blowing off. Cheapskate developer cut-corner stuff. When we had the roof replaced, we told the Roof Doctor we wanted 30 year shingles plus extra glue under the shingles on the south side of the house which gets the most wind. So when the nice young fella came out yesterday (also Roof Doctor) and I asked him how the shingles looked. I pulled out the paperwork from 2007 and said "we paid a premium for 30 year shingles. What do think we'll get - a little over 20?" He kind of stammered and smiled, said yes. But so far they still look good.

Anyhow, after being caught short throughout our married lives with very little put away for emergencies, I started an "R & M" fund in the budget with this house. Replacement and Maintenance. So I have the eventual roof replacement already funded unless the economy totally tanks and my savings all goes down the drain. :# . Who knows, I might want to move in the next few years if the neighborhood turns over. I sure hope not.

And thank you for posting that SWSY YouTube workout. It's great to have a class to follow along with like that. <3

Rosemarie - great job doing 2 miles on the treadmill! That's really an accomplishment. There are so many ladies in their 60's and older that don't move much at all. I am so glad we have this group and can cheer each other on. I keep reminding myself - I don't have to do it all, just do one thing. The rest will come.

As I was doing dishes tonight, who did I see run across the back yard but MR SQUIRREL! I took the borrowed trap back this morning. I'm still not certain it's a squirrel getting into that shop attic. Everyone says birds. I went on Amazon and found an inexpensive squirrel/small rodent live trap, bigger than the ones I have, so will bait it and put it out just to see what I catch. Some of the commenters said they were actually catching birds in them. So we'll see. It's small enough that I won't be greeted by a raccoon or opossum, I hope.

Have a great evening. :D

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

I'd love to see a squirrel again. :) They're so cute. :)

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    edited March 2023
    hzpsvhd4mpce.png

9z5htsv1wl09.png
  • Machka9
    kevrit wrote: »
    I am doing this Happiness calendar for March. Feel free to copy or simply use it if you’d like!

March, 2023 Action for happiness.org
    RVRita
    1. Set an intention to live with awareness and kindness. I intend to live with more awareness and kindness every day.
    2. Notice three things you find beautiful in the outside world.

Sky, sand and ocean
    15jmjq5nsagk.png

3. Start today by appreciating your body and that you are alive.

Yesterday's 54 km bicycle ride and 5 km walk on the beach ...

4. Notice how you speak to yourself and choose to use kind words.

19nper8umeoo.png

5. Bring to mind people you care about and send love to them.

:heart:

6. Have a ‘no plans’ day and notice how that feels.

The only plans we had yesterday was a stroll through a neighbouring arty town to look at the shops.

7. Take three calm breaths at regular intervals during your day.

I do box breathing at some point just about every day.

8. Eat mindfully. Appreciate the taste, texture and smell of your food.
    :)

9. Take a full breath in and out before you reply to others.
    Many times.

10. Get outside and notice how the weather feels on your face.

Afternoon walk ...

gk9c2ciwlcx2.png

11. Stay fully present while drinking your cup of tea or coffee.

Not so much today. But usually. :)

12. Listen deeply to someone and really hear what they are saying.

Haven't talked to anyone other than husband today.

13. Pause to watch the sky or clouds for a few minutes today.

Love watching the sky. :) Our house is especially well located for that, and at certain times of year, we get fantastic sunsets!

jomkq0tqutyd.png
    05wmx6w4ig4u.png
    7vc4lxr8ihsj.png

14. Find ways to enjoy any chores or tasks that you do.

Laundry! I don't mind doing laundry. :)

15. Stop. Breathe. Notice. Repeat regularly.

That's about all I can do today. I haven't done anything which requires effort.

I looked up the vaccine I had yesterday. Boostrix: diphtheria-tetanus-acellular pertussis (whooping cough). I am set for 10 years!

But headache, tiredness, body aches, sore joints and nausea are common side effects ... which I am experiencing.

My doctor also informed me that the antibiotic "cocktail" I've been prescribed will make me feel ill and give me a horrible taste in my mouth. But it is only for 5 days and should do the trick.

16. Get really absorbed with an interesting or creative activity.

I've been colouring these days because I'm not allowed to do much more. Fortunately, I enjoy colouring. :)

I've also been putting away laundry and rearranging a closet.

17. Look around and spot three thing you find unusual or pleasant.

The place is slightly neater and cleaner than usual. That's both unusual and pleasant. February was major house-cleaning month, then we went on holidays so the place is still clean.

I'm at home, surrounded by things I like.

There are photos I have taken recently showing on my second computer screen.

18. Have a 'no plans' day and notice how that feels or If you find yourself rushing, make an effort to slow down.

Today, I casually worked my way through part of the garden, catching up on some of the weeding.
    And we went for a short 10 km bicycle ride.
    And I've been colouring. :)

19. Cultivate a feeling of loving-kindness towards others today.
    :heart:

20. Focus on what makes you and others happy today.

Walking - 3.57 km
    Cycling - 10.27 km
    z6nik83nkcds.png

21. Listen to a piece of music without doing anything else.

I have music on all day. Most times I'm doing things, sometimes I'm not.

More cycling today ...
    bqfierqjcrq9.png

22. Notice something that is going well, even if today feels difficult.

I was warmly welcomed back!!

And immediately swamped with work! It's going to be a challenge but it's nice to have a certain degree of freedom - autonomy!

23. Tune into your feelings, without judging or trying to change them.

So many feelings.

I've just started this new job so there is excitement and nerves going on.

And it is the 5th anniversary of my husband's accident. I cried a while last night.

24. Appreciate your hands and all the things they enable you to do.

Especially typing!
    But I am appreciating getting my left hand back now that it is healed from the bite. I'm mixed-handed or cross-dominant, so I use my left hand a lot and miss it when it's out of action.

25. Focus your attention on the good things you take for granted.

Being able to move, climb, carry, walk, shovel, squat (to pull weeds) and of course ride my bicycle!
    Granted, I am a little bit stiff from doing some of that yesterday for the first time in a while, but I can still do those things. :)

26. Choose too spend less times looking at screens today.

No worries! I'm heading out to the garden shortly!

27. Appreciate nature around you wherever you are.

Absolutely! So much to appreciate. :)
    n9a4qpbiln8n.png
    6epj5yao2gbm.png
    0ttr5wfltmhd.png
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/machka-bb/

28. Notice when you are tired and take a break as soon as possible.

So tired.
    No breaks for a little while.
    Maybe on the weekend.

29. Choose a different route today and see what you notice.

Took a different route home yesterday. Noticed that it took way longer than normal.

Took a different route back to work from Radiology today by getting on the wrong bus. Noticed I was late back to work after lunch.

30. Mentally scan your body and notice what you are feeling.

I feel exhausted and frustrated and frazzled and completely disorganised.

31. Discover the joy in the simple things of life.

Like walking Rhody. :)

March ... in like a lamb, out like a lion!

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Question has any one here used apple cider vinegar to help with a healthier digestive system?? It also is supposed to help with weight loss.

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/health-fitness/a48500/apple-cider-vinegar-benefits/

Machka sorry to hear about your husband’s meltdown. He is lucky to have you!

💕 Mary from Arizona/Minnesota

Apple cider vinegar helps keep bees healthy.

Thank you ... I almost didn't make it to work yesterday.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Joy1580vb wrote: »
    Been doing some spring house cleaning and washing walls. Getting to be too much of a chore for me and I think it may be time to have a cleaner come in a couple of times a year to help me out with these big jobs. Will be looking into that this fall. I read about someone in our local newspaper that does cleaning for seniors. I think it is something our area needs as there are a lot of seniors in town and also the rural area.

Back to cleaning...enjoy your day.

Joy

I've been looking up aged care options like having someone help with cleaning etc. too. :)

M in Oz

• Machka9
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    Hi Ladies,

You always have great recommendations. Do any of you have a good solution to post-nasal drip? It's really annoying me.

Thanks.

Tina in CA

You can give the garlic pills a try.

But if it continues to be a problem, get checked for allergies.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    March Results ...

h0xg1arukw00.png48ic1kexgw26.png

Walking ...
    eo9dfr1gfdcn.png

Cycling ...
    91wcj9hr6olt.png

Exercise Minutes this month with a Cat Bite gap in the middle. Grand total of 24 hours of exercise this month.
    lga4z2x1cdfj.png

Machka in Oz

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited March 2023
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    Hi Ladies,

You always have great recommendations. Do any of you have a good solution to post-nasal drip? It's really annoying me.

Thanks.

Tina in CA

OTC Astepro NS. One squirt each nostril in the morning. “Spray and Squish" (your nose) and wipe away the excess. Don’t “sniff” or “snuff” or “inhale", as the spray is bitter tasting (and doesn’t belong in the back of your throat anyway). It may take 5 days for you to see maximum results.

It’s an antihistamine, but it helps dry up postnasal drip from non-allergic rhinitis as well as from allergic rhinitis.

xoxo Karen