Advice on 16:8 Calorie intake

I've been IFing for 2 months now. For the last 32 days I've been walking 3,4,5 or 6 miles a day. For the first month I did HIIT workouts 5 days a week. I have yet 2 lose 1 pound. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? My calorie intake was initially set for 2219. How low can I set my calorie intake to get some results? I REFUSE TO QUIT!!!!!

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,864 Member
    edited March 2023
    Time restricted feeding like16:8 is independent from calories, diet and weight loss, and if you want to do both you'll have to control your calorie intake and considering you haven't lost weight in 2 months your eating at or around maintenance. It isn't really important that your current estimate is accurate or not because it's pretty much a given that it isn't. I suggest you just look at weight lost going forward by lowering your estimated calories and record your weight loss over the next 3 or 4 weeks and when your losing about 1lb a week you can pretty much follow that regime going fwd. I would also advice to go back to maintenance every 6 weeks or so for a week or 2 to facilitate a metabolic homeostasis, much like a regulator. A 500 calorie deficit will deliver around that 1lb a week loss, generally speaking, everyone's metabolism will react differently. cheers
  • powershine1
    powershine1 Posts: 2 Member
    So u're saying, I'm trying to follow two different plans and should concentrate on IFing. Lower my calorie intake until I'm losing 1 to 2 pounds per week.
    Tks
  • neanderthin
    edited March 2023
    So u're saying, I'm trying to follow two different plans and should concentrate on IFing. Lower my calorie intake until I'm losing 1 to 2 pounds per week.
    Tks

It's a popular misconception that 16:8 is a way to lose weight, it isn't, it's about metabolic health. We need a calorie deficit to lose weight but there's no reason you can't do both, is what I'm saying and yes just reduce you current caloric intake to make that happen. Cheers

• MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    There's nothing magical about IF in and of itself. 16:8 here - but that scale doesn't move unless I maintain my calorie deficit.
  • nsk1951
    nsk1951 Posts: 1,294 Member
    edited April 2023
    Time restricted feeding like16:8 is independent from calories, diet and weight loss, and if you want to do both you'll have to control your calorie intake and considering you haven't lost weight in 2 months your eating at or around maintenance. It isn't really important that your current estimate is accurate or not because it's pretty much a given that it isn't. I suggest you just look at weight lost going forward by lowering your estimated calories and record your weight loss over the next 3 or 4 weeks and when your losing about 1lb a week you can pretty much follow that regime going fwd. I would also advice to go back to maintenance every 6 weeks or so for a week or 2 to facilitate a metabolic homeostasis, much like a regulator. A 500 calorie deficit will deliver around that 1lb a week loss, generally speaking, everyone's metabolism will react differently. cheers
    Tks

It's a popular misconception that 16:8 is a way to lose weight, it isn't, it's about metabolic health. We need a calorie deficit to lose weight but there's no reason you can't do both, is what I'm saying and yes just reduce you current caloric intake to make that happen. Cheers

I Agree ... based on personal experience as a person who has done IF for most of my life. I am 78.
    PS: .. and still doing IF.
    I do vary my routine, however with shorter or longer fasts (water, plain coffee or plain tea only) with 16:8 being the most frequent in any 7 day period. Usually at least 1 day of no fasting at all. And another day of OMAD.
    My health markers have all improved, and I only lose weight when I calorie restrict to have a deficit. I also gain weight if I go over my recommend intake either on a regular basis of a couple days running, or frequently during any month. ... like major holidays always seem to set me back because, while I still fast, I overeat anyway.

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,584 Member
    Fatloss is a product of a consistent weekly calorie deficit over time and not a product of daily meal timing.
  • LJAAYY
    LJAAYY Posts: 6 Member
    Could try OMAD with meal at lunch time or before with deficit
  • neanderthin
    edited April 2023
    nsk1951 wrote: »
    Tks

I Agree ... based on personal experience as a person who has done IF for most of my life. I am 78.
    PS: .. and still doing IF.
    I do vary my routine, however with shorter or longer fasts (water, plain coffee or plain tea only) with 16:8 being the most frequent in any 7 day period. Usually at least 1 day of no fasting at all. And another day of OMAD.
    My health markers have all improved, and I only lose weight when I calorie restrict to have a deficit. I also gain weight if I go over my recommend intake either on a regular basis of a couple days running, or frequently during any month. ... like major holidays always seem to set me back because, while I still fast, I overeat anyway.

I'm glad your finding a way to work this into your lifestyle and are finding success but I just want to make a distinction here. I don't conflate the two protocols of IF (intermittent fasting) with TRF (time restricted feeding).

IF might include an all day or multiple day fasts, 5:2 or OMAD for example and these do include weight loss as a strategic benefit of those strategies along with other mechanisms that involve metabolism but for all intents and purposes in todays world they promote a deficit for the obvious reasons in the first 2 examples, and for OMAD it generally works out that people don't eat all of their assigned maintenance calories in one meal, they can but generally they don't and create some kind of benefit, and if someone can maintain those protocols they will lose weight and this has nothing to do with the diet their currently eating and can just continue to consume the foods they normally do, so a win win. There are obvious downsides to these strategies when not done properly and I'm not going to go into that now, but suffice is to say I don't use these strategies, other than I occasionally do a 24 hour fast, which I must admit is rejuvenating some times.

TRF has more to do with how our hormones regulate over a 24 hours cycle and how that interacts with our physiology and specifically our circadian rhythm and effect our hormonal activity, digestion, body temperature, immune function, cell regeneration and repair for example and is a fairly new science that really began
    in 2016ish. This type of "fasting" has nothing to do with calories or diet and more to do with time spent in either anabolic and catabolic states which then go on to influence hormonal and regulatory responses over that 24 hour cycle. This isn't to say that a person can't create a deficit, they surely can but this isn't what it's all about. It's new in endocrinology and chronobiology so not well understood but like everything in science will unfold in the way all science unfolds and that is to expose any benefits or not, but so far it's looking like there are some benefits.
    Cheers