In search of the perfect bread

Options
Rockmama1111
Rockmama1111 Posts: 264 Member
edited April 2023 in Food and Nutrition
I am looking for the best whole grain bread. I want a decent amount of fiber and it needs to be good toasted OR soft for a sandwich.

I’ve tried quite a few, but here’s the kicker: I don’t want it to be sweet, and so many varieties are! It’s fine for peanut butter and jelly, but I don’t want my turkey sandwiches on sweet bread.

I’m not afraid to bake my own, so if you’ve got a recipe, please share! I’m currently working my way through a load of Dave’s Killer Bread (I had high hopes after a Google search told me it was the tastiest) and it’s good… but STILL SWEET.

Anyone?

Replies

• VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,710 Member
    Options
    Ezekiel origional. Excellent
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    VegjoyP wrote: »

I so agree🧡
    It's unfortunate most breads in North America use so much sugar!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    Do you have an artisan bakery in the neighbourhood? Ignore the industrial supermarket stuff, eat real bread.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    My first trip to the US I was shocked at how sweet the bread is. Really weird.

Have you tried a sourdough loaf? That might be less sweetened? It’s good for you too.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,886 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    In France they can't call American white bread, bread. The French are a little sensitive about bread and not to be confused with pastry, different animal. Anyway American white bread because of the sugar content is deemed and referred to as a pastry product and can't be sold in a regular French boulangerie. Cheers
  • Rockmama1111
    Options

I’ll try Ezekiel next. Thanks!

I do like sourdough, but it doesn’t usually have the fiber.
  • neanderthin
    Options

It's in the frozen bread section. Cheers
  • neanderthin
    edited April 2023
    Options
    There's no rule that a person can't use a sourdough starter to make whole grain breads. I make a sourdough baguette quite often.
  • Rockmama1111
    Options
    There's no rule that a person can't use a sourdough starter to make whole grain breads. I make a sourdough baguette quite often.

Probably way more delicious, too. I like to make bread, so I might as well try. It’s not as convenient, but that’s what I get for being picky!

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options

Frozen bread?!? I knew I should not have come into this thread because my soul just died a bit. Does real bread exist in the US? :'(
  • neanderthin
    edited April 2023
    Options
    yirara wrote: »

Frozen bread?!? I knew I should not have come into this thread because my soul just died a bit. Does real bread exist in the US? :'(

haha, that's funny. It's a sprouted grain bread that is organic and is susceptible to mold pretty quickly so it's always been sold that way. I've tried it, and it's ok, not on my list of favorites but very singular in it's delivery but very good for what it is.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    yirara wrote: »

Yes. From artisan bakeries, plus some other places, but that's the obvious answer.

Freezing bread is better than refrigerating bread to keep it in good condition without spoiling, and breads without any kind of preservative do mold relatively quickly. Some preservatives are more benign than others, so I'll leave it to others' food orthodoxies to help them decide whether the commercial grocery store bread brands with preservatives are better than frozen, or not.

I don't like bread very much, but do eat it occasionally. Other than some Ezekiel pitas and tortillas (both bought frozen), I buy bread from a guy at one of the local farmers markets who makes amazing bread. As a household of one, I can't eat a loaf before it goes bad (mold or stale), so I slice and freeze. Obviously, it's best brand new day 1 fresh, but frozen/thawed isn't a major quality decline IMO once you figure out how best to thaw it.

ETA: OP, apologies for the digression. Maybe I can claim it was on topic if I say that if you find good bread but it's not convenient to buy often, you can freeze it successfully? (Kidding. I'm off topic. Sorry.)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    The only commercial bread I like is Dave's Killer Bread. I eat the 21 Whole Grains and Seeds. There White Bread Done Right is also good and I don't think it's particularly sweet. It has 2g of sugar.
  • Rockmama1111
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    The only commercial bread I like is Dave's Killer Bread. I eat the 21 Whole Grains and Seeds. There White Bread Done Right is also good and I don't think it's particularly sweet. It has 2g of sugar.

The 21 Whole Grains and Seeds is the one I have now. I love the texture, and it’s the best I’ve found so far. And 5 grams of fiber is great!

• amberchecker
    amberchecker Posts: 22 Member
    Options

I had no idea that you have to keep Ezekiel bread in the fridge. I buy mines at Trader Joes and they always keep it out in the bread section.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options

The 21 Whole Grains and Seeds is the one I have now. I love the texture, and it’s the best I’ve found so far. And 5 grams of fiber is great!

I usually get Dave's thin variety, which is only 70 calories per slice. I have the 21 Whole Grains and Seeds larger size now because it was on sale. I used to eat Ezekiel, and prefer the taste of Dave's, but just looked at the Dave's label and there is 5 g added sugar per slice, which is a lot.
  • Rockmama1111
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I usually get Dave's thin variety, which is only 70 calories per slice. I have the 21 Whole Grains and Seeds larger size now because it was on sale. I used to eat Ezekiel, and prefer the taste of Dave's, but just looked at the Dave's label and there is 5 g added sugar per slice, which is a lot.

It is! And I’m not that worried about sugar in my diet, I just don’t want to taste it in my sandwiches.

I found a couple recipes on the King Arthur Baking site. Once I make my way through this Dave’s loaf, I’m going to try one.
  • GigiAgape1981
    GigiAgape1981 Posts: 64 Member
    edited April 2023
    Options
    @Rockmama1111 If you don't mind losing 1 gram of fiber, Dave's Killer Bread Powerseed version (not thin sliced) has only 1 gram of added(and total) sugars instead of 5 g in the 21 Whole Grains and Seeds.