Older Adult

Any of you out there over 70? Just wondering how counting micros has helped you. I'm just starting out with this app and need some encouragement on believing that I can do this.

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,872 Member
    edited May 2023
    It would be pretty difficult to assess the difference by just counting macro's on our overall health early on, but I will say that generally speaking older people become more susceptible to sarcopenia, weaker bone density, less overall strength and muscle mass, more brain dysfunction leading to deteriorating health overall with a diet that's generally deficient in protein, the building blocks for every single cell in our body, and the consumption of cheaper and often more highly processed foods that without proper care can find a person in poor health and having many nutrient deficiencies.

A diet with a higher percentage of whole foods that concentrate on quality protein, and that would mean animal protein, and if your vegetarian, then your going to need a lot more protein to compensate and other dietary requirements that should be known to vegetarians. Exercise and some kind of resistance exercising is crucial to health in older people resulting in better balance and functionality, brain health, hormonal regulation, body composition, strength, increased metabolism and on and on.

I would suggest that protein be in and around .7 to 1g of protein to match your ideal weight if your looking to lose weight, which hasn't been established yet. Fat and carbs would be a combination you feel comfortable with and should show it's hand after you pick out your preferred sources, and it helps to conform more easily, but the ratio's/percentages really don't matter too much as far as weight loss is concerned.

Being able to see what your eating and how much of each macro your consuming will help you stay the course and make adjustments when required. This is the short answer and is only scratching the surface. This should reap the reward your looking for with increases in energy, better muscle retention, brain function, balance and pretty much a better feeling overall. This is my basic philosophy and I just turned 70 fyi. It's a lifestyle change that first and foremost must be embraced because the alternative is a deteriorating quality of life and health span, and it's never too late. cheers and good luck.
  • nsk1951
    nsk1951 Posts: 1,294 Member
    edited May 2023
    Welcome to working on getting into better health via nutrition!
    I am 78 and have been using this site for the past 11 years, on and off ... And, I am still working on my plan. Looking back, I wish I had found this app while I was younger than 60 as it does become more difficult to change yourself physically and nutritionally afterwards; at least that's my observation.

As for your question ... the way counting macros helped me was to just be more aware of how much of which type I was eating and to make adjustments. I really looked at the calories as being more important, because I was working on shedding pounds. However, since I am a diabetic (T2) and was still trying to turn that into a remission, I was monitoring the number of carbohydrates I ate. What a lesson I learned on that! And, I also realized my protein levels were under-par ... So .. that's where counting macros helped me .. it made me aware so I could make small changes over time that were of benefit to my health.

Good luck.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,974 Member
    What are you trying to accomplish? If it's weight loss, strictly speaking you don't need to count macros/micros at all.

Calories are the direct effect on body weight. Nutrition is for health. Nutrition can affect weight management indirectly via appetite or energy level, but the direct factor is still calories.

That said, carbs and protein have roughly 4 calories per gram, fats have 9 calories per gram, so counting calories while watching macros, or counting macros while watching calories, will end you up in about the same place, assuming accurate food logging. (Alcohol isn't any of those, it's its own thing, with 7 calories per gram.)

I'm not over 70 (yet) - currently 67, so pretty close. I lost weight using MFP at age 59-60, maintaining a healthy weight since. I shoot for a certain minimum of protein (because neanderthin is 100% right about protein and aging, in the post above . . . and adequate protein is essential for everyone, aging or not).

I shoot for a minimum of fats, too, because I'm the unusual weirdo who under-eats fats (to my observable detriment) if I don't pay attention. (Most people get enough fats without conscious effort, it seems from posts here). I don't care how many carbs I get, as long as my calories come out OK, because unlike nsk1951 I'm not diabetic, insulin resistant, nor have any other relevant health constraint on carbs. I eat very large amounts of veggies and fruits for the micronutrients (vitamins, minerals, etc.) and fiber.

If the goal is weight management, you might be encouraged by this:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10890367/never-too-old#latest

Best wishes!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    Any of you out there over 70? Just wondering how counting micros has helped you. I'm just starting out with this app and need some encouragement on believing that I can do this.

Everyone seems to be assuming you meant macros. Can you clarify whether that's the case? If you meant micros, MFP is pretty limited in the number of micronutrients you can track.

• Pdc654
    Pdc654 Posts: 317 Member
    I am 70 yr old and have lost 115 lbs using My Fitness Pal. The only macro I count is protein and try to get a minimum of 100 grams a day. I don't pay any attention to micros. However, I do try to eat in a more nutritious way than I did prior to losing weight. I try to spread my protein throughout the day, and now only eat junk food on rare occasions. There is just no room for the unhealthy stuff if I want to keep my calories in check AND have enough energy for my activities. I exercise almost every day including strength training 3 times a week. Therfore, I plan my meals to be nutritious and high in protein. My ultimate goal is to live a healthy, independent life, and that takes nutritious food and exercise.
  • Pdc654
    Pdc654 Posts: 317 Member
    By the way, you CAN do this. It takes diligence and commitment, but you can do this!!!