Pasta measurements

dcresider
dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
Hi all.

How do you measure your pasta, i.e. noodles vs. fusilli, and cooked vs. non-cooked?

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    I weigh them uncooked. I mostly cook for one, so I don't have the issue of separating my portion from what others are eating after it's cooked.

Not sure what you're getting at when you ask noodles v. fusilli -- the type of pasta doesn't make a difference for weighing. And obviously volume measurements from long pasta don't make a lot of sense.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    I live in Italy and cook pasta almost everyday. I always weigh it dry. Here a portion is 100g, but you can weigh out whatever you want. Pasta runs about 350 cal per 100g. It doesn't matter what form it's in.

However, if you buy fresh pasta, or egg pasta check the calories on the box.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,595 Member
    Dry. Cooked adds to much of a weight variable.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Nutritional labels for pasta are typically dry weight. I do that sometimes, but most often I'm cooking for a family of 4 so I most often weigh mine cooked and if I'm logging I would select and entry that is for cooked pasta rather than dry. It isn't as accurate as the dry weight, but it works well enough for me to do that.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,489 Member
    Spag uncooked, use a tool with holes for 1-4 servings.

Rice uncooked, use measuring cup.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member

Measuring could be off by 0-25% versus weighing. Weighing food is the most accurate way to ensure you know what you are consuming. 1 cup of rice one day may weigh more than the other, depending on how loose you pack it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    dcresider wrote: »
    Hi all.

How do you measure your pasta, i.e. noodles vs. fusilli, and cooked vs. non-cooked?

I think your measuring question refers to using cups and portions being different due to different shapes? That's why I got a food scale. No more ambiguity! :smile:

If cooking pasta for myself, which is not often, I use dry weight. For cooked I use "Spaghetti, cooked, unenriched, with added salt" for all shapes of non-egg pasta. This corresponds to the USDA database entry of "Pasta, cooked, unenriched, with added salt."

Speaking of the USDA database, the green check marks in the MFP database are used for both USER-created entries and ADMIN-created entries that MFP pulled from the USDA database. A green check mark for USER-created entries just means enough people have upvoted the entry - it is not necessarily correct.

To find ADMIN entries for whole foods, I get the syntax from the USDA database and paste that into MFP. All ADMIN entries from the USDA will have weights as an option BUT there is a glitch whereby sometimes 1g is the option but the values are actually for 100g. This is pretty easy to spot though, as when added the calories are 100x more than is reasonable.

https://fdc.nal.usda.gov

Use the “SR Legacy” tab - that's what MFP used to pull in entries.

Note: any MFP entry that includes "USDA" was USER entered.

For packaged foods, I verify the label against what I find in MFP. (Alas, you cannot just scan with your phone and assume what you get is correct. Note: scanning is mostly only available with Premium these days.)

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,489 Member
    erickirb wrote: »

Measuring could be off by 0-25% versus weighing. Weighing food is the most accurate way to ensure you know what you are consuming. 1 cup of rice one day may weigh more than the other, depending on how loose you pack it.
    I doubt 25%. That 0.7 cup serving for two meals would need to be 0.525 or 0.875 cups. My eyesight isn't that bad. I don't pack it either.

I get your general point that weighing is most accurate. With my TDEE likely 2,500 or more, NEAT and exercise being large variables too, and all of the potential inaccuracies with food labels etc., I doubt 20 calories here or there from a pasta measurement maybe being slightly off is a big deal for me.

This is nitpicking.
  • tomcustombuilder
    edited May 2023

I

I doubt 25%. That 0.7 cup serving for two meals would need to be 0.525 or 0.875 cups. My eyesight isn't that bad. I don't pack it either.

I get your general point that weighing is most accurate. With my TDEE likely 2,500 or more, NEAT and exercise being large variables too, and all of the potential inaccuracies with food labels etc., I doubt 20 calories here or there from a pasta measurement maybe being slightly off is a big deal for me.

This is nitpicking. no reason for it.

Agreed on the nitpicking. I've never known people to "pack" rice in a measuring cup, lol. You either stick the measuring cup in the bag of rice or dump the rice into the measuring cup. Nobody packs it unless they're really trying to cheat the amount then they're probably trying to cheat overall on their calories then they're on their own....

This is nitpicking.

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member

I

Agreed on the nitpicking. I've never known people to "pack" rice in a measuring cup, lol. You either stick the measuring cup in the bag of rice or dump the rice into the measuring cup. Nobody packs it unless they're really trying to cheat the amount then they're probably trying to cheat overall on their calories then they're on their own....

This is nitpicking.

maybe rice is a bad example, as there isn't much space between grains, but with pasta it can be way off, depending on the shape of the pasta.

It is still always advisable to weigh. You can tare your scale with the measuring cup, scoop your food, put it back on the scale to get weight. It doesn't take much extra time.
  • tomcustombuilder

I

This is nitpicking.

maybe rice is a bad example, as there isn't much space between grains, but with pasta it can be way off, depending on the shape of the pasta.

It is still always advisable to weigh. You can tare your scale with the measuring cup, scoop your food, put it back on the scale to get weight. It doesn't take much extra time.
    Yes pasta is different than rice as far as needing to weigh instead of using a measuring cup.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    I always weigh my pasta dry. It's the only way to be as accurate as possible.
  • lynn_glenmont

Dry rice can't really be "packed" and it's small enough and of a pretty consistent shape that I don't think there would be anything close to a 25% variation in how much will fit in a cup. It's not quite as consistent as sugar, but it's a lot more consistent than nuts.

Of course, you should use a "dry" measuring cup (or half cup, or quarter cup -- whatever amount you're measuring), so that you aren't tempted to put "just a little bit more" in because you aren't sure if it's up to the line or not (as in a liquid measuring cup). If you put to much in a dry measuring cup, it falls on the counter or the floor. Which is why I use my scales even for my rice, because it's neater and easier and generally requires getting fewer things dirty.
  • Wynterbourne

Dry rice can't really be "packed" and it's small enough and of a pretty consistent shape that I don't think there would be anything close to a 25% variation in how much will fit in a cup. It's not quite as consistent as sugar, but it's a lot more consistent than nuts.

Of course, you should use a "dry" measuring cup (or half cup, or quarter cup -- whatever amount you're measuring), so that you aren't tempted to put "just a little bit more" in because you aren't sure if it's up to the line or not (as in a liquid measuring cup). If you put to much in a dry measuring cup, it falls on the counter or the floor. Which is why I use my scales even for my rice, because it's neater and easier and generally requires getting fewer things dirty.

Remember, it's also not always just a matter of being "packed" or not. There's a video floating around somewhere where someone was filling up multiple different dry measuring cups of the same volume with the same item and then weighing said item and they were all different weights because some of the measuring cups themselves were inaccurate. You never know when you might have a half cup dry measure that isn't actually a half cup.
  • lynn_glenmont

Remember, it's also not always just a matter of being "packed" or not. There's a video floating around somewhere where someone was filling up multiple different dry measuring cups of the same volume with the same item and then weighing said item and they were all different weights because some of the measuring cups themselves were inaccurate. You never know when you might have a half cup dry measure that isn't actually a half cup.

Yes, you might have one that one was poorly manufactured, but it's easy enough to test by filling it with water and weighing.
  • Wynterbourne

Yes, you might have one that one was poorly manufactured, but it's easy enough to test by filling it with water and weighing.

Absolutely, unfortunately many people don't realize that you can always trust them. My ancient set is on its last legs and I'm thinking that the stores probably wouldn't approve of me bringing along water and a scale to test them before purchasing. LOL.
  • lynn_glenmont

Absolutely, unfortunately many people don't realize that you can always trust them. My ancient set is on its last legs and I'm thinking that the stores probably wouldn't approve of me bringing along water and a scale to test them before purchasing. LOL.

:D