Exercising down memory lane

I recently found my old Richard Simmons aerobics DVD's. In the 90's, the VHS versions of these helped me lose 150 pounds and also helped me get my fitness level up to where I felt confident enough to join a gym, start jogging and go long distance bike riding.

It was fun to do some and find that I still remember all of the moves. I don't remember my joints creaking as much when I was 24 but I can overlook that.

I would guess a lot of us have rediscovered some fun activity from the past that we can still use today.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    I did the Richard Simmons videos for quite a while, too, when I was first getting active after cancer treatment. I'd started on a breast cancer survivor's rowing team, but was woefully out of shape, and the team only met once a week. Sometimes I could do rowing machine workouts with a buddy maybe one other time a week-ish, but I started doing the Simmons videos in between to try to improve my cardiovascular fitness. I really needed the low impact because of obesity and bad knees (bad combo), so they were pretty perfect.

Eventually, I got my own rowing machine, joined the local rowing club, started taking spin classes at the Y, riding my bike, and more. Somewhere in there, I reached a point where I couldn't get my heart rate up meaningfully with the videos, and my knees got worse and didn't like twisting motions either. (I stayed obese for a decade plus despite being quite active.)

I still think of them fondly.

I can't really think of any fun activity from the past I can still use today, unless we count the way I tend to drop and resume good-for-me things like regular practice of yoga/stretching and strength training. 😬
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I have many DVDs and they come in handy when the internet goes out. I did a turbojam this morning.
  • Lisa2321
    Lisa2321 Posts: 2 Member
    I’m a 90’s kid and I remember my older sister who was obese using Richard Simmons VHS tapes to exercise.
    Richard has a kind soul and genuinely cared about people. He never criticized and was nothing but total understanding and pure love. I hope he is okay today.
    I still have the broadway VHS and it is a lot of fun. I ended up buying the latest DVD set he made. I might give those a go again. ☺️
  • PeachHibiscus
    PeachHibiscus Posts: 164 Member
    @AnnPT77 I hear you about the knees! I want to think I noticed a little less creaking the last time I did the routine so maybe there's some progress! I used to love biking and I did tons of it back when I was young and single. We need to get our bikes serviced and go out on some of the trails now that it's going to be summer.

@DancingMoosie Turbojam sounds fun! I have some yoga and a few other aerobics and dancing type DVD's that I need to do again. You're right, they do come in handy and I can't use an excuse like "it's too cold or too hot outside!" Plus this type of exercise always seems to hold my attention more than a treadmill or stationary bike. For me, it's just more fun.

@Lisa2321 Oh yeah, these take me right back to the 90's. I agree that Richard has a kind soul and that's likely what made me want to try them back then. The tapes featured just regular people of all sizes and ages and he was always just so kind and encouraging. If you give them a go again, I hope you have fun!
  • seashellybob
    seashellybob Posts: 33 Member
    Loveee Sweatin to the Oldies! The 3rd is my favorite. I remember doing them with my mom as a small child and I've done them on and off through the years to stay active.

My mom and I actually did the dance routine to Give Me Some Lovin as our Mother/Daughter dance at my wedding. It was so special and we laughed so much!
  • PeachHibiscus
    My mom and I actually did the dance routine to Give Me Some Lovin as our Mother/Daughter dance at my wedding. It was so special and we laughed so much!

I love this! What a wonderful memory.
  • meb2490
    meb2490 Posts: 290 Member
    Most of Richard's workouts are on youtube. During the pandemic he was putting them up. He is such a good egg! Love him. His workouts are still perfect for beginners.
  • PeachHibiscus
    meb2490 wrote: »
    Most of Richard's workouts are on youtube. During the pandemic he was putting them up. He is such a good egg! Love him. His workouts are still perfect for beginners.

That's awesome to hear! I could definitely see him doing that.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,967 Member
    I remember buying one of those abdominal electrical belts, which are supposed to zap your abs with jolts of electricity to encourage them to contract, theoretically getting hundreds of reps while you lounge on the couch watching TV. Yeah, not so much. Felt the jolts, but it was only a stinging sensation which never actually caused muscular contraction.

At least I never bought one of those shake weights.
  • PeachHibiscus
    nossmf wrote: »

No, I never bought one of those, either. But now I do remember buying a used Thighmaster at a charity rummage sale. I had forgotten all about that. I wonder if it's still lurking somewhere in my parent's attic all these years later.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    I'll trade you my Thigh Master for your Sweating To The Oldies 🤣
  • jengerbeatty
    jengerbeatty Posts: 39 Member
    nossmf wrote: »
    I remember buying one of those abdominal electrical belts, which are supposed to zap your abs with jolts of electricity to encourage them to contract, theoretically getting hundreds of reps while you lounge on the couch watching TV. Yeah, not so much. Felt the jolts, but it was only a stinging sensation which never actually caused muscular contraction.

My mom bought the shake weight, my sister and I found it in the cellar about a year ago and used it....couldn't stop laughing :)
  • zumbaforever
    zumbaforever Posts: 6,847 Member
    I loved him also. Did all his VHS workouts. Now I am doing Kelly Coffey Meyer again. Trying to get some like-minded people to join me. If you want to look for July Challenge with weights, in the challenges. My kids still tell me they remember me dancing along with RS whenever certain songs come on. Great fun.

Shelley
  • PeachHibiscus
    @zumbaforever I should check out the challenges. Sounds like fun!
  • Rockmama1111
    Rockmama1111 Posts: 264 Member
    So fun! I recently saw a post about 20 Minute Workout on Facebook and got a little nostalgic. I also used a VHS of the first Buns of Steel (led by a dude named Greg) well into the new millennium.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,502 Member
    Tae Bo was my go to. Billy could be a bit annoying though.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • PeachHibiscus
    @zumbaforever Oh thank you! I will definitely check this out. I need to start working more with weights.

@Rockmama1111 I remember Buns of Steel very well! My aunt had that and I remember doing it with my cousins. Was there an Abs of Steel also?

@ninerbuff Oh yes! I had Tae Bo on VHS back then, too. I got that one after I had already gotten into shape. It was so much fun and a great workout!
  • zumbaforever
    zumbaforever Posts: 6,847 Member
    @PeachHibiscus @ninerbuff @Rockmama1111

I still have Tae Bo. I have a DVD and VHS. I like his original ones and he also put out a series of 10 VHS ones I liked. I guess I am addicted to using DVD's or anything I can follow along with. I also enjoy group classes at the gym. Body Pump was a great one. Also did Zumba. Did Zumba alot.

Shelley
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Richard Wilson, the older actor in the British hit comedy One Foot In The Grave, did a VHS tape called Let's Dance. I saw it mentioned a few years ago in a British comedy show, which was asking people to guess if such a thing existed, and sure enough, it was real. You can probably find a clip on YT. It was as bad as you'd expect.