High protein low calories

kyrone1738
kyrone1738 Posts: 1 Member
edited May 2023 in Health and Weight Loss
I’m just starting today. I am trying to lose 56 pounds quickly. I need high protein, low calorie macros. How do I set them to lose?

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,578 Member
    How quickly? 56 pounds would reasonably take a year to lose. More if you get off track. I would focus on doing it right, so it lasts, rather than fast.
  • herblovinmom
    herblovinmom Posts: 351 Member
    edited May 2023
    @kyrone1738 MFP has a high protein meal plan and you can select from the recipes based on your calorie needs, they show you what’s applicable to you specifically. The plan also helps you find the correct protein amount based on your goals so you can set your macros how you like best. Also, the high protein recipes may be available in the recipe discovery section of the app for those not doing the meal plan.. I’m on day 5 of the plan and enjoying the information and recipes so far.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    edited May 2023
    This thread would help, I'll bet:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

P.S. Weight loss is about calorie balance - eating fewer calories than you burn through just being alive (heart beat, digestion, breathing, all that stuff) plus daily life (job, home chores, non-exercise hobbies, etc.) plus intentional exercise.

Macros are about nutrition, things like health, body composition, energy level. At most, macros have an indirect effect on weight loss. That doesn't make them unimportant - far from - but it's good to be clear-headed about why they're important.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    edited May 2023
    ...as far as how to set your macros...that's going to be up to you.

There is a point of diminishing results and too much protein. Have you discussed this plan with your doctor or a dietician? Too much protein (and too little fat) can cause its own set of problems. You also will do better with some carbs like fruit and vegetables, so your macros are going to be pretty individually determined based on your goals and why you've chosen this type of approach.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    kyrone1738 wrote: »
    I’m just starting today. I am trying to lose 56 pounds quickly. I need high protein, low calorie macros. How do I set them to lose?

My answer will depend on how fast and why.

If, for example, you need to lose weight in order to have surgery, have your doctor refer you to a dietitian.

If you need to make weight to join the military, I have a different answer for that.

Like previous posters said, macros are important for satiety, not directly for weight loss. In 2021, I lost almost 40 pounds using the MFP default macro of 20% protein.

Here's a reputable protein calculator:

https://examine.com/nutrition/protein-intake-calculator/

I shoot for 500 calories of exercise per day, and when I achieve that, using the MFP default of 20% protein aligns with the protein grams recommendation from Examine. If I were completely sedentary, I'd need to bump it up to 30%.