What's the hardest time of day for you?

SugarBearRetired
SugarBearRetired Posts: 76 Member
edited November 2023 in Health and Weight Loss
I work from home, and the hardest part of the day for me- foodwise- is late afternoon. I don't eat a lot at breakfast, and I rarely eat after dinner, but right about 3:00 all I want to do is munch! Ugh

Replies

• SugarBearRetired
    I work from home, and the hardest part of the day for me- foodwise- is late afternoon. I don't eat a lot at breakfast, and I rarely eat after dinner, but right about 3:00 all I want to do is munch! Ugh
  • Skinnier_Me
    Skinnier_Me Posts: 341 Member
    Same here!

I tend to crave cookies so I have 3 reduced fat oreos or reduced fat chocolate chips cookies.
  • SugarBearRetired
    I don't have much of a sweet tooth, but I love salty things and cheese. I usually have one low fat string cheese or pretzels.
  • Skinnier_Me
    Not a fan of salty foods.
  • Isabelle
    Isabelle Posts: 102
    I have a good breakast and good diner with a lot of proteins...but when comes the late afternoon...preparing souper...OMG it's so hard to resist the sncaking! I would eat cookies, chips, cheese...if I don't listen to myself...that is so hard! So I eat baby carotts or a dice of cheese.
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    I would have to say suppertime because I am tired so I don't want to put the effort into making anything much less eating healthy. Also I like to curl up with a book after supper and that was always a big snack time for me. I am a salty/sweet person meaning I like to eat one and turn around and eat the opposite right after it. I have always been this way and I don't know why. And I used to eat that way while reading.
  • CMJ1979
    CMJ1979 Posts: 42
    I find the evening is the worst time for me, because I have supper at 5 and then at around 8 or 9 I'm hungry for something. I usually get a cup of tea and a yogurt or some crackers, or some toast. It all depends on my left over calories.
  • SugarBearRetired
    Cleo- can you postpone dinner a bit later or is that when your family eats? I try to delay lunch as late as possible because of my afternoon cravings. It helps
  • bigdane321
    bigdane321 Posts: 233 Member
    Right NOW!!! 7pm-10pm. Where's the junk food? Why is at night they have to show all those food comercials. No sweat I have mfp.
  • frithir
    frithir Posts: 179 Member
    Around 4:00 am for me. I work from home and since hubby works nights, my schedule goes with his. (4:00 am is like what mid to late afternoon is to normal people ;-} ) By about 4:00-4:30, I'm finishing up work for the night, starting to unwind and tend to want something to nosh on.
  • frithir
    frithir Posts: 179 Member
    Around 4:00 am for me. I work from home and since hubby works nights, my schedule goes with his. (4:00 am is like what mid to late afternoon is to normal people ;-} ) By about 4:00-4:30, I'm finishing up work for the night, starting to unwind and tend to want something to nosh on.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    After 8PM. I stay up until 1:30. Just how my internal clock works.

I've been going to the gym at 7:30 or 8:00 PM-ish, and that seems to have broken the TV / food habit. By the time I get home and shower, I can have a small glass of wine around 11:00, then "Sleepy-time" Celestial Seasonings tea at midnight.

The trainer reminded me again to eat 6-Meals-A-Day. Must be something to it, and keeps blood sugar stable.

~cm
  • cardgrl
    cardgrl Posts: 175 Member
    Yummmm....chips....I think I'm a chip-a-holic...
  • pamelawh
    pamelawh Posts: 162 Member
    i used to crave sweets like mad and around 3 pm was murder and then again around 8pm. since memorial day i began eating six small meals and very healthy food and i don't crave things any more and i have more energy then i ever had before. i watched a program on tv, this guy wrote a book called I'm Fat and its all your fault. He says in your fat free cookies and any processed carbs there is high frutose corn syrup. It breaks down in your body in such a way that it doesn't trip the hormone in your brain that signals when you're full in fact there is an ingredient in those foods that make you want to eat more. i confirmed it through non biased internet sites. today i was going to wear my overall capris and when i put them on, they were huge. i can't belive how big they are. now my overalls that were way too small fit me. i think i'll give up processed carbs for good.
  • Hey! I learned a little something in my psych class about afternoon eating actually! Every human has about the same circadian rythms (basically a 24 hour brain/body cycle) throughout the day. At around 3 pm (and 3 am but most people are already asleep by then) the body enters its peak degree of sleepiness. At this time, your body is craving energy to wake itself back up... so the munching craving begins! If you can try taking a walk or something. This helps to wake your body up without the munching.
  • ahertel0214
    ahertel0214 Posts: 244 Member
    I was going to answer this one anyway but this is a fun way to say hi to my best friend Rani... that's her, the post right above mine. Hi Rani! *waves*

Anyway - later at night is the worst for me. It's the time when I FINALLY take a depe breath... and then want to snack!

I try to either drink water, or just go brush my teeth. Both help!

Actually that time of night is not far away... wish me luck & have a wonderful night!

~Adrianne
  • sassycass
    sassycass Posts: 18 Member
    Suppertime! I was just lamenting this...the past two nights have not been good. Tuesday night, my oldest had a volleyball game, so we had mcdonalds. Then I get home and my well-meaning grama had left us homeade glazed ham balls. So I had a few of those. Last night, my littlest one was begging for pancakes. and eggs. and potatoes. So I made that for dinner.

I feel like crap when I eat this way, but it seems I'm tired and/or bored and this is just a bad habit I need to get out of. But? When I try and confront myself about this, I'm the queen of excuses and rationalizing my poor eating habits. "I was so good today with salads and fruits, yadda yadda" LOL
  • Skinnier_Me
    I hear you on the excuses part.

You should look for crockpot recipes... healthy ones (but not gross tasting ones).
    If I find any, I will post them.
  • apaden4
    apaden4 Posts: 137 Member
    Evenings and Weekends! Anytime I am at home really. I am so good all day at work, but when I get home all I want is junk! I hate it!
This discussion has been closed.