Chicken Enchiladas

ligytha
ligytha Posts: 130
I love to cook. Here is a fav recipe of mine. It sounds complicated, but it isn't. I just boke it up into many steps. This is about 6 servings. These re-heat well in the microwave or the oven.

Enchiladas:
1.25 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 cups chicken stock
1/3 cup finely chopped scallions
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
1 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp pepper
12 6" flour tortilla rounds
1 cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
Sauce:
8 oz unsalted tomato sauce
1.5 tbsp chili powder or cayenne pepper
1.5 tsp ground cumin
2 tbsp all-purpose flour (or cornstarch)
1/4 cup water
Garnish:
3/4 cup nonfat sour cream

1. Rinse chicken and pat dry. Pre-heat oven to 450F.
2. Add chicken to stock and bring to boil, then simmer for 20 min until the chicken is cooked.
3. Remove the chicken (reserve liquid) and let everything come to room temperature.
4. Using 2 forks, shred the chicken.
5. Put the shredded chicken in a large bowl and add the scallions, cilantro, oregano, and pepper. Stir to mix. Set aside.

6. In a skillet, combing the tomato sauce, chili powder, and cumin.
7. To the skillet, add 1.5 cups of the liquid reserved from step 3.
8. Bring the skillet to a boil over medium heat.
9. In a small bowl, mix the water and flour/cornstarch until a smooth paste forms.
10. Add the paste to the skillet, stirring the skillet until the sauce thickens.

11. Coat a 9 x 13 pan with non-stick foil or cooking spray (these things will want to stick like mad)
12. Dip a tortilla into the sauce for about 10 seconds until it becomes soft. Make sure to coat both sides.
13. Laying the tortilla on a flat surface, place 1/4 cup of the shredded chicken mixture from step 5 at one end of the tortilla.
14. Roll up the tortilla and place seam-side down in pan
15. Repeat for all tortillas. It is best to leave about 1/4" in between each one so they don't stick together.
16. Pour any remaining sauce over the enchiladas.
17. Top with the shredded cheese.
18. Bake uncovered at 450F for 12 - 15 minutes. Garnish each serving with 2tbps sour cream.

Nutrition:
1 serving = 2 enchiladas
Calories: 318
Cholesterol: 58 mg
Fat: 2.8g
Carbs: 3.7g
Protein: 32g
Sodium: 449mg (will be less if you use low sodium stock)

Replies

• ligytha
    ligytha Posts: 130
    I love to cook. Here is a fav recipe of mine. It sounds complicated, but it isn't. I just boke it up into many steps. This is about 6 servings. These re-heat well in the microwave or the oven.

Enchiladas:
    1.25 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
    2 cups chicken stock
    1/3 cup finely chopped scallions
    1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
    1 tsp oregano
    1/4 tsp pepper
    12 6" flour tortilla rounds
    1 cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
    Sauce:
    8 oz unsalted tomato sauce
    1.5 tbsp chili powder or cayenne pepper
    1.5 tsp ground cumin
    2 tbsp all-purpose flour (or cornstarch)
    1/4 cup water
    Garnish:
    3/4 cup nonfat sour cream

1. Rinse chicken and pat dry. Pre-heat oven to 450F.
    2. Add chicken to stock and bring to boil, then simmer for 20 min until the chicken is cooked.
    3. Remove the chicken (reserve liquid) and let everything come to room temperature.
    4. Using 2 forks, shred the chicken.
    5. Put the shredded chicken in a large bowl and add the scallions, cilantro, oregano, and pepper. Stir to mix. Set aside.

6. In a skillet, combing the tomato sauce, chili powder, and cumin.
    7. To the skillet, add 1.5 cups of the liquid reserved from step 3.
    8. Bring the skillet to a boil over medium heat.
    9. In a small bowl, mix the water and flour/cornstarch until a smooth paste forms.
    10. Add the paste to the skillet, stirring the skillet until the sauce thickens.

11. Coat a 9 x 13 pan with non-stick foil or cooking spray (these things will want to stick like mad)
    12. Dip a tortilla into the sauce for about 10 seconds until it becomes soft. Make sure to coat both sides.
    13. Laying the tortilla on a flat surface, place 1/4 cup of the shredded chicken mixture from step 5 at one end of the tortilla.
    14. Roll up the tortilla and place seam-side down in pan
    15. Repeat for all tortillas. It is best to leave about 1/4" in between each one so they don't stick together.
    16. Pour any remaining sauce over the enchiladas.
    17. Top with the shredded cheese.
    18. Bake uncovered at 450F for 12 - 15 minutes. Garnish each serving with 2tbps sour cream.

Nutrition:
    1 serving = 2 enchiladas
    Calories: 318
    Cholesterol: 58 mg
    Fat: 2.8g
    Carbs: 3.7g
    Protein: 32g
    Sodium: 449mg (will be less if you use low sodium stock)
  • garimac
    garimac Posts: 174
    I do this alott
    I cook my chicken in v8 juice with onions and garlic. And sometimes I use bonless skinless chicken thighs.
    I always cook a bunch and weigh it out and freeze it in 4 oz portions.
    Then if i am short on time it is ready and I use canned enchillada sauce. My favirite is La Victoria.