pulling the trigger

Hey everyone

After reading a lot of post on this site it seems many people reach a point where their no longer losing weight. I follow the mfp guidelines and have been very successful so far. I have gone from 305 to 278 in 5 weeks. Thats 27 pounds in 5 weeks. I don't exercise very much, golf and walking. But I discovered something a little odd so far in the process. I have been on other diets and have lost 5 to ten pounds in the beginning but seem to slow down after the initial shock to my body. That got me thinking if the shock is the trigger maybe I need to keep pulling it. Over the past 5 weeks their has been days where I'm under my calorie intake. Not trying it just happens. And of coarse at least once a week I've gone 300 to 400 over. Usually this happen on a weekend and of coarse the next day feeling guilty for indulging, I quickly go and weigh myself.
Guess what each time I have lost more weight not gained it. Long ago when I weight trained my trainer said no matter what I have to have one day a week where I pick a meal and let my food regiment go. He said it was to keep me sane. I think it was to tell my body that I'm not trying to starve it. I am keeping it in a constant state of awareness.

Anyway does anyone think that there is something to this? Or am I thinking way to hard?

Replies

• bigdane321
    bigdane321 Posts: 233 Member
    Hey everyone

After reading a lot of post on this site it seems many people reach a point where their no longer losing weight. I follow the mfp guidelines and have been very successful so far. I have gone from 305 to 278 in 5 weeks. Thats 27 pounds in 5 weeks. I don't exercise very much, golf and walking. But I discovered something a little odd so far in the process. I have been on other diets and have lost 5 to ten pounds in the beginning but seem to slow down after the initial shock to my body. That got me thinking if the shock is the trigger maybe I need to keep pulling it. Over the past 5 weeks their has been days where I'm under my calorie intake. Not trying it just happens. And of coarse at least once a week I've gone 300 to 400 over. Usually this happen on a weekend and of coarse the next day feeling guilty for indulging, I quickly go and weigh myself.
    Guess what each time I have lost more weight not gained it. Long ago when I weight trained my trainer said no matter what I have to have one day a week where I pick a meal and let my food regiment go. He said it was to keep me sane. I think it was to tell my body that I'm not trying to starve it. I am keeping it in a constant state of awareness.

Anyway does anyone think that there is something to this? Or am I thinking way to hard?
  • Kirsty
    Kirsty Posts: 40 Member
    Oh my god that makes total sense,and has answered a few things I've been wondering,when i started (It'll be 2 weeks wed)First two days went well over my calories,i didn't get upset just thought come on new day,anyway come the week to weigh myself my first week i lost 6lb which didn't make much sense i was quite shocked,but now with what your saying it makes total sense. Thank you and well done to your success. :¤) x
  • pamelawh
    pamelawh Posts: 162 Member
    i'll find out if your theory holds true for me. i am working with a personal trainer that disagrees with calorie shifting, she agrees more with muscle confusion. at any rate i think it must be a combo of both. thankx for your viewpoint.
  • julieofthewolves
    julieofthewolves Posts: 339 Member
    I have heard/read that before, can't remember where. I guess it is basically what I do, moreso because I have to allow myself some indulgence every now and then rather than actually trying to trick my system. I was told that your body gets accustomed to the same food, same diet, same calorie and that to mix it up is good. This way your body doesn't get "stuck" - in a metabolic sense. Keep me up-to-date with if your phenomenon continues! Thanks, Julie
  • Skinnier_Me
    Skinnier_Me Posts: 341 Member
    This is why I tell everyone to have a "cheat day".
    How can you not?
    But the thing is... when I do have a "cheat day", I feel so bloated and not myself.
    I don't like salty foods so that's not it.

I just think my body doesn't want all the crap anymore.
  • kimford28
    kimford28 Posts: 320
    Skinner_me. Nice Pic! I tried to visit your myspace page, but it was set to private:(
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Yes I do think you are right. I don't know how it all works and honestly it doesn't matter much to me as long as I lose. I have been using this tactic all along and on prior ventures to losing weight. It works for me and my family because we can enjoy something we don't normally cook during the week. We normally do ours on a Saturday or Sunday. When everyone is home and my hubby is asking for his potatoes and bacon and eggs.

Eve
  • bigdane321
    bigdane321 Posts: 233 Member
    Thanks for all the responses. I'm going to continue my present coarse of action. 225 is right around the corner. MFP is the best because of it's members. You all rock!
  • Senny
    Senny Posts: 4
    Yo!
    That all sounds really good. As I've only just started it gives me a real determined outlook.
    Thanks Guys!
    Only problem this weekend is watching England playing rugby in the local pub!
    But, Hey Ho!
  • Skinnier_Me
    kimford28

Thanks!
    There are alot of myspace hackers so only the people on my friends list can view my page.
    Send me a friend request if you like =)
  • I HAVE EXPERIENCED THE SAME , AND I THINK YOU ARE RIGHT ON THE MONEY THERE WHEN YOU SAY "SHOCK THE SYSTEM", AND IF ITS WORKING FOR YOU THATS GREAT! KEEP US POSTED AND LET US KNOW IF IT'S STILL WORKING FOR YOU, GOOD LUCK............
    BY THE WAY YOU LOOK GREAT!!!!!
  • kimford28
    skinner what is your myspace name again? I can't find the previous post you wrote...
  • Skinnier_Me
    myspace.com/jasbella4
  • kimford28
    here's mine... your's was looking weird... and I don't know your last name:)
  • kimford28
    myspace.com/kimford28
  • Skinnier_Me
    weird in what way?
  • kimford28
    the language was all scrambled with different sings and symbols. plus, I don't know your last name or email address
  • Skinnier_Me
    That's the way I put my name... I used a text converter.
    I sent you a friend request.
  • kimford28
    got it! your kids are so cute!!!!
  • ahertel0214
    ahertel0214 Posts: 244 Member
    Mine is set to private also - trying to keep out prying eyes. ;)

Send me a friends request also! myspace.com/julietsproudmama

See you on myspace!