Focus on F.I.I.T To Get Fit

Focus on F.I.T.T to get fit.

The F.I.T.T. Principle in exercise is a set of rules that help you get the most out of your workouts.

F.I.T.T. stands for:

1. Frequency: how often you exercise 2. Intensity: how hard you work during exercise 3. Time: how long you exercise, and 4. Type: what type of activity you're doing

First, focus on the frequency of your workouts. Consistency is key when it comes to seeing results and living a healthy lifestyle. Make exercise a habit. It doesn't matter whether you can workout once a week or seven days a week, do what you can realistically and consistently commit to.

Next, push yourself. We all start out at different levels of exercise readiness. If you're new to working out or it has been awhile since you've exercised start off slowly and determine your fitness level using a 1 to 10 scale to rate your level of exertion, 1 being "light" exertion up to 10 being " maximum" exertion. A great way to monitor the intensity of your workouts is to wear a heart rate monitor.

When it comes to how long you should exercise aim for somewhere between twenty and sixty minutes for each workout. Again be realisitc about your schedule and how much time you really have to get your workouts in on a consistent basis. If you're running short on time, kick up the intensity level and keep your workouts between a 6 and 10 on the exertion rating scale. If you have more time, vary the intensity level from low to moderate to high to challenge yourself and to keep your workouts interesting.

Finally, it really doesn't matter what type of activity or exercise you are doing, just as long as you are doing something. Whether it's taking aerobics classes, swimming, running on a treadmill, lifitng weights or even gardening and playing golf, just make sure it is something that you enjoy doing. Chances are if you like the type of activity or exercise you are doing, the more likely you are to do it.

Replies

• onefitdiva
    onefitdiva Posts: 331 Member
    This s good info. A lot of people, quit a program or just do not do one cause they think they have to do it perfectly. If they commit to what they can realistically do with in it at a given time and do this much at 100% it is better than nothing or doing an entire program at 40% and not pushing.
  • fit_chica69
    fit_chica69 Posts: 57 Member
    Thanks for always passing on your awesome fitness tips Lew!! :wink:
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    bump to have in My Topics so I can read at will
    :bigsmile:
  • Good info!! I am one that does not like to exercise. I know I have to do better in order to see the results I want.
  • mandeiko
    mandeiko Posts: 1,657 Member
    I borrowed this for my support group. Don't worry, I gave credit where credit is due. :)
  • Quiing
    Quiing Posts: 261 Member
    Thanks for this! It's very helpful :)