Cottage Cheese?

Hello, lovely ladies and gents! I have recently discovered cottage cheese... And I'm not sure I like the taste of it by itself. I can't handle a lot, but I've heard it's very good for you and can be filling! So... Help me out, here. =] What do you guys eat cottage cheese with? Something sweet, something salty, I'm open to all ideas!

Replies

• Ayla20103005
    Ayla20103005 Posts: 104 Member
    ham and tomato on a cracker/crispbread is nice :)
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Cinnamon and sweetner. Sometimes almonds and raisins also.

If you blend it with fruit and sweetner, you'll get a cheesecake flavor. Satisfies my sweettooth, and is super-healthy for you. Tweak it and make tons of dessert variations.
  • I add stevia, lemon juice or true lemon, and often frozen unsweetened blueberries.
  • MommaGrover
    MommaGrover Posts: 6 Member
    I blend a 1/2 cup of it with a stevia sweetener pack, greek yogurt, 6 oz water, ice, and a peach. I promise, it's the best milk shake ever!
  • Tanyabear_
    Tanyabear_ Posts: 16 Member
    I will eat it plain with a bit of pepper or add green onions, or add fresh dill, I heard some people like it with peaches, but thats not for me. Then again I love cottage cheese.
  • jencute
    jencute Posts: 35 Member
    i throw some grape or blueberry jelly in there alot.

also, apple chips, cinnamon, some truvia, and a tiiiny drop of silk unsweetened almond milk is absolutely delicious.

you can use it as a savory addition too! sub it for ricotta or anything along those lines.
  • iwantniceabs
    iwantniceabs Posts: 357 Member
    bump - these sound good
  • I like it plain with black pepper. Never have liked fruit with it. I limit my intake tho' just because it's really high in sodium.
  • sunraze
    sunraze Posts: 115
    From the frozen food section, Dole Mango pieces. OMG I love it! There is also pineapple, blueberry, strawberry but my fav is mango.
  • I usually mix it with a dole pineapple fruit cup (drained) and a bit of cinnamon. I also like to mix it with tuna and salsa and fill a pita with it.
  • byrnet18
    byrnet18 Posts: 230 Member
    I like it with some pepper on it. Or recently I have enjoyed red grapes or peaches in it. For the longest time I thought that fruit in it sounded gross but it is actually pretty good. I've never tried any of the other suggestions posted, but I think I'm going to try :)
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Hello, lovely ladies and gents! I have recently discovered cottage cheese... And I'm not sure I like the taste of it by itself. I can't handle a lot, but I've heard it's very good for you and can be filling! So... Help me out, here. =] What do you guys eat cottage cheese with? Something sweet, something salty, I'm open to all ideas!

I pour 2 Tblsp of salted pumpkin seeds on top. French dressing is good on it too, (I never use French on salads). Lawrey's seasoned salt is good but cottage cheese is high in salt anyway; or just mix it in with a green salad and veggies. It adds a really creamy texture to salads.
  • nrtenagrl
    nrtenagrl Posts: 138 Member
    Peaches peaches and more peaches!
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    I love it by itself, but sandwiched inbetween cheese crackers = total cheesegasm.
  • AZChatterB
    AZChatterB Posts: 248 Member
    It also makes a pretty tasty substitute for ricotta cheese in lasagna or spaghetti. I have been eating bean sprouts in lieu of spaghetti noodles; I zap the sprouts (3/4 cup) in the microwave then add marinara sauce (1/2 cup) and give another zap then add cottage cheese (1/2 cup). Tasty, filling, and low cal.
  • Oooo I love cottage cheese! My dad got me hooked on eating it with sugar! It's soooo good BUT not the best thing if you are trying to lose weight lol. I love to eat mine plain right out of the container most the time. I never really liked any kind of fruit in mine either! Goodluck on finding the best cottage cheese combo! :bigsmile:
  • nat102
    nat102 Posts: 118 Member
    Use it in salads. You'll use less dressing and it is loaded w protein. I use a 1/2 cup cottage cheese, a tablespoon of jalepeno cilantro hummus, and a touch of balsamic vinaigrette to top off mine :)
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    I like adding fresh fruit to it like strawberries or pineapple. I make my husband cut up a pineapple for me so it's like the canned ones, but it tastes even better fresh. YUM!
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    I grew up with fruit in my cottage cheese, I was a little weirded out the first time I saw someone put it in a salad.
  • Dragongrl
    Dragongrl Posts: 186 Member
    I like Knudsen's Cottage Doubles. They come with either pineapple, peaches, or strawberry.
    I have a friend that dips her barbeque potato chips in it but probably not real healthy. (Tasted good though. LOL)