Hi! I'm Sonja

sonjavon
sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
Hello! My name is Sonja, I'm new to myfitnesspal and actually found it by accident this morning while looking for a weight loss ticker to add to another message board. LOL!

I'm 34 years old, married and have one child, a son, who is 11 years old whom I homeschool. I also have 3 dogs. I have a wonderful life but I would like to lose weight so that I can enjoy it more.

My husband and son have never seen me "look my best". My son can't imagine that I was ever thin. I want to change that.

I have PCOS with Insulin Resistance. I am 5'3 and weight 285 lbs. This is the 2nd time this morning that I've posted that information on the Internet - it's not getting any easier... yikes! There have been several wakeup calls through the years, all of which I've chosen to ignore... joint pain, tight clothes, climbing sizes, stretch marks, tiredness, etc. So, suffice it to say - I've KNOWN that I'm fat for a long time... but I've told myself all the old excuses too... "I carry it well", "I'm big boned" (lol.. I'm 5'3, remember?), "I feel fine", "It's baby weight" (that one isn't cutting it so much since he's 11!)... the list goes on and on and on...

My latest wakeup call came loud and clear the other night while I was watching wrestling with my son. I was watching some guys who looked HUGE... I mean, MASSIVE... and when they gave their height and weight... I realized that I weigh more than several of the heavy weight contenders.... HOLY CRAP BATMAN... gotta do something and quick!

So last night I enlisted the help of DH and my friend's DH and moved my mother's treadmill to my house. Last night I walked for 10 minutes at 2.7 mph. Not much... but it was a start. This morning, I walked for 21 minutes at 3.2-3.6 mph.

I don't know that I can look at the "big goal" right now... but my first goal is to lose 10 lbs by May 2nd. I'm having a surprise birthday party for my DH and his family is coming in from out of town. I'd love to be able to buy a new outfit in a smaller size for that day.

I look forward to talking to all of you!

Replies

• sonjavon
    Hello! My name is Sonja, I'm new to myfitnesspal and actually found it by accident this morning while looking for a weight loss ticker to add to another message board. LOL!

I'm 34 years old, married and have one child, a son, who is 11 years old whom I homeschool. I also have 3 dogs. I have a wonderful life but I would like to lose weight so that I can enjoy it more.

My husband and son have never seen me "look my best". My son can't imagine that I was ever thin. I want to change that.

I have PCOS with Insulin Resistance. I am 5'3 and weight 285 lbs. This is the 2nd time this morning that I've posted that information on the Internet - it's not getting any easier... yikes! There have been several wakeup calls through the years, all of which I've chosen to ignore... joint pain, tight clothes, climbing sizes, stretch marks, tiredness, etc. So, suffice it to say - I've KNOWN that I'm fat for a long time... but I've told myself all the old excuses too... "I carry it well", "I'm big boned" (lol.. I'm 5'3, remember?), "I feel fine", "It's baby weight" (that one isn't cutting it so much since he's 11!)... the list goes on and on and on...

My latest wakeup call came loud and clear the other night while I was watching wrestling with my son. I was watching some guys who looked HUGE... I mean, MASSIVE... and when they gave their height and weight... I realized that I weigh more than several of the heavy weight contenders.... HOLY CRAP BATMAN... gotta do something and quick!

So last night I enlisted the help of DH and my friend's DH and moved my mother's treadmill to my house. Last night I walked for 10 minutes at 2.7 mph. Not much... but it was a start. This morning, I walked for 21 minutes at 3.2-3.6 mph.

I don't know that I can look at the "big goal" right now... but my first goal is to lose 10 lbs by May 2nd. I'm having a surprise birthday party for my DH and his family is coming in from out of town. I'd love to be able to buy a new outfit in a smaller size for that day.

I look forward to talking to all of you!
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Welcome to MFP! You sound quite motivated & with the tools of this website, I'm sure you'll have great success. A lot of people on here have had wonderful success breaking it down into smaller portions like you said. 10# here, 10# there & pretty soon you've lost a significant amount of weight! Good luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    078.gif
    WELCOME!!! You're realistic and positive attitude is exactly what we need here.
  • sonjavon
    Thanks! I'm really excited and I have to say that I think this time I'm going to see results because I am being realistic. Ya know, I'm not thinking that a bikini is in my immediate future... and maybe not in my future at all... but I promise myself that I will someday try one on again... just because "I can".

I've already had 5 cups of water this morning! Why is it so much easier to drink water from a bottle than it is to drink it out of a glass? I've been refilling a gatorade bottle and 20 oz goes down so much easier that way!

I got up this morning at 4 AM (because I couldn't sleep - not because I'm motivated) and walked on the treadmill for 21 minutes (planned on 20 but you can't stop in the middle of a Billy Joel song). I'm getting ready to get back on and do another 10-15 minutes depending on how it goes.

On another note... I've also managed to plan lunch and dinner and do 3 loads of laundry! By the time DS gets up - I can focus solely on him for school work and take a nap later if I want to!
  • forestdancers
    forestdancers Posts: 146 Member
    Hi Sonja

I am glad you signed up. I too have PCOS and I have over the years totally ignored the signs of how huge I was getting. The same signs that you had. The increasing sizes, painful joints. I avoided sitting in chairs with arms or going to the theater because it hurt.
    It wasn't until I bought some 6X pants and they started to get tight that I realized that I was becoming one of those really huge obease people I see on tv.
    The real tipping point was the fact that I can't enjoy my hobby (goldpanning) that really rubbed it in that my weight was holding me back from living.

So it is good that you have joined the club of people who are working towards thier goals.
    One piece of advice is that one wants to have one or two sites that you check onto once a day that way not as much time sitting in front of the computer. Awhile ago I found I was spending too much time online logging in stuff and not enough time excersing.

Best of luck
    forestdancers
  • forestdancers
    forestdancers Posts: 146 Member
    Wow way to go.
  • Losing_It
    Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member
    Welcome, Sonja!!!! Sounds like you already have a plan and have the determination to follow it thru!!!! Best of luck to you on your journey to a healthier you!!!:flowerforyou:
  • ladyofivy
    ladyofivy Posts: 648
    Congratulations on your choice to better your life! Eat well, and track your calories, weigh yourself weekly (although I admit--I weigh daily! :embarassed: and measure, measure, MEASURE your body parts!

If you like to read inspiring blogs, take a look at mine :wink: located here at MFP.

Friend me, if you like. :smile: I am always here to listen and support!

~Amy~
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Hi Sonja!

Welcome to MFP. I just want to tell you how awesome I think it is that you are being realistic and honest with yourself. I found my biggest obstacle was being honest with myself and not coming up with excuses. I am 5 foot 2 and I've been telling myself for years that I am big boned too!:laugh: Turns out I wasn't meant to be 255 lbs and that I do have time to exercise :blushing:

Anyways, this site is a great source of information and support. Good luck on your journey to becoming a healthier you! Having taken that first step to commit to a healthier lifestyle, you are already well on your way! It gets easier as you go and you will quickly find that losing weight and looking better is only one of the many benefits!
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Hello and welcome to MFP. You will love it here, if you don't already. I love it here. This is a great site. It is very supportive, helpful, motivational, and everyone is so nice and friendly here. I just wanted to tell you good luck on your weight loss journey. You can do this. :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: