HOW DO YOU NOTE SAUNA TIME

Replies

• ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member

I was meerly expecting some advice, not berating. Having some trouble losing weight; unlike anyone on this site; my job is on the line. That means feeding two kids. Sorry, but the skin is wearing thin. I seriously doubt anyone is woring over this like me. Again sorry.

Oh lookie here, Mr. Special - the only mfp member staring down good ol AR 600-9

Yep, the only one. Just right there. That's him. The one.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Wow... lot of cattiness on this forum. I had no idea that it didn't help with calorie burning. Thank you all for you nastiness in the effort to better educate me. So sorry for posting my honest question. Stupid me for expecting help.
    Wow... I think there was one post that was stated sort of questionably the rest were very straight forward. You can't read tone and inflection in text. You may want to grow a thicker skin if you post regularly on the internet.

I was meerly expecting some advice, not berating. Having some trouble losing weight; unlike anyone on this site; my job is on the line. That means feeding two kids. Sorry, but the skin is wearing thin. I seriously doubt anyone is woring over this like me. Again sorry.

Sorry you are a delicate snowflake, sir. :flowerforyou:
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Wow... lot of cattiness on this forum. I had no idea that it didn't help with calorie burning. Thank you all for you nastiness in the effort to better educate me. So sorry for posting my honest question. Stupid me for expecting help.

It doesn't help with the calorie burn, but if you still want to make a note of it, you can make a note of it in your food diary? (trying to be helpful. :) )
  • oswaldbowser
    oswaldbowser Posts: 165 Member
    I go to the gym and work out.....then after I go in the sauna and jacuzzi and some times the steam room, but I take this as just relaxing time and talk to fellow gym users.

Just go in for enjoyment but you dont count it as any form of weightloss/exercise.

Hope this helps
  • patter10
    patter10 Posts: 23 Member

It doesn't help with the calorie burn, but if you still want to make a note of it, you can make a note of it in your food diary? (trying to be helpful. :) )

I won't note it. thanks
  • kneeki
    kneeki Posts: 347 Member
    Nowhere in that article did they cite a source of information or study. If you're really curious about how much you might be burning in a Sauna, the experiment is simple.

Wear a HRM for 30 minutes, sitting, doing nothing. Perhaps lying down? At room temperature.
    Now do the same thing for the Sauna.

Make a note of increased calories burnt by heart rate. I have done this already, and for me, the increase of HR is negligible.
    there is no definite way to measure how many calories are burnt in sauna.
    Is a lie.

edit: your original post I clicked reply to didn't have that first link. Reading it now...
  • patter10
    If you search enough, you can find a viewpoint that you like, but then reality stares back at you.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/300302-the-calories-burned-sitting-in-a-steam-sauna-for-15-minutes/

^ article also from Livestrong telling you it's completely worthless(this one written by a Dr.).

Bottom line is, if you aren't doing some sort of real activity, you aren't burning much. Sweating is the loss of water from the body and nothing more.

Wow.. not looking for a lazy way out; I'm pretty active. However the Gunny's and Chiefs swear to the sauna along with exercise. I thought they had the inside track; but these are the people that are about making you puke from running.
  • 2stepz
    2stepz Posts: 814 Member
    What the sauna WILL do is make your muscles LOOK more defined. Bodybuilders and such will use saunas before competition to sweat out the water in the soft tissue and make the muscles stand out more. It also helps your body detox by sweating out toxins. It's not a BAD thing to do, but not particularly influential to burning fat. Just remember to rehydrate after you're done. :)
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    If you search enough, you can find a viewpoint that you like, but then reality stares back at you.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/300302-the-calories-burned-sitting-in-a-steam-sauna-for-15-minutes/

^ article also from Livestrong telling you it's completely worthless(this one written by a Dr.).

Bottom line is, if you aren't doing some sort of real activity, you aren't burning much. Sweating is the loss of water from the body and nothing more.

Wow.. not looking for a lazy way out; I'm pretty active. However the Gunny's and Chiefs swear to the sauna along with exercise. I thought they had the inside track; but these are the people that are about making you puke from running.

Sauna = losing weight though water weight loss (ie.. sweating).

You'll lose weight running your butt off via sweating but you're also burning calories.

On THIS site, what counts is calories burnt. So sauna doesn't count. And it really shouldn't. Because you can't sustain water loss indefinately and nor should you. It's dangerous.

Cutting weight usually means quickly losing a few pounds to make a specific weight at a specific time. After you do that, you hydrate again.
  • tiedye
    tiedye Posts: 331 Member
    What the sauna WILL do is make your muscles LOOK more defined. Bodybuilders and such will use saunas before competition to sweat out the water in the soft tissue and make the muscles stand out more. It also helps your body detox by sweating out toxins. It's not a BAD thing to do, but not particularly influential to burning fat. Just remember to rehydrate after you're done. :)

Interesting! Thanks for the info!
  • patter10
    Yeah, I've been working out regularly (to the point of injury) however, now that I've been keeping track of the food on the site, my diet is crap. Tried starving myself, only to retain the weight. One meal a day worked until I crashed so bad. I got a pregame measure up, and I meet the requirement, however, I'm so freaking sick of having to get measured. I wish I could just got to Afghanistan and lose it all... weight not my mind. That's long gone.
  • kneeki
    kneeki Posts: 347 Member
    Yeah, I've been working out regularly (to the point of injury) however, now that I've been keeping track of the food on the site, my diet is crap. Tried starving myself, only to retain the weight. One meal a day worked until I crashed so bad. I got a pregame measure up, and I meet the requirement, however, I'm so freaking sick of having to get measured. I wish I could just got to Afghanistan and lose it all... weight not my mind. That's long gone.

You cannot out-train a bad diet.
    Yup. If you want to pass your eval, eat clean! If you really wanted to do an Intermittent fasting diet - which it sounds like you've tried - I would suggest Lean Gains.

Btw, retired Navy Submariner here. :happy:
  • patter10

You cannot out-train a bad diet.
    Yup. If you want to pass your eval, eat clean! If you really wanted to do an Intermittent fasting diet - which it sounds like you've tried - I would suggest Lean Gains.

Btw, retired Navy Submariner here. :happy:

Right on! Current Navy Corpsman. One of my HM1's was a bubblehead. Awesome guy. Lean Gains? I've tried the Warrior Diet, but eating raw all day then whatever you want... ended up kinda self destructive. Calorie counting is why I visit the site, running out of ideas. My wife is going to get the lap band; maybe if she has to eat right thing will go better in the house. Man on deployment I get lean.
  • I wanted to offer that with all the exercise you get, once you eliminate the excessive calories (deep-fried stuff, burgers, cookies, whatever it is that gets you) you will see a good starting loss of a handful of pounds.

I think the sauna is good for you and should done regularly. I wish it burned calories, I looked it up when I first got here too. But what I have learned is that it is all of my efforts combined that yield success - not just calorie counting and working out. Self care is important and the time I spend in the hot tub or sauna after a good workout on or on a rest day contribute to my weight loss in one way or another.

Is there is dietitian in the service that you could talk with to identify things to avoid in your diet, and good substitutions so you don't feel deprived?

Good luck to you!
  • patter10
    I wanted to offer that with all the exercise you get, once you eliminate the excessive calories (deep-fried stuff, burgers, cookies, whatever it is that gets you) you will see a good starting loss of a handful of pounds.

I think the sauna is good for you and should done regularly. I wish it burned calories, I looked it up when I first got here too. But what I have learned is that it is all of my efforts combined that yield success - not just calorie counting and working out. Self care is important and the time I spend in the hot tub or sauna after a good workout on or on a rest day contribute to my weight loss in one way or another.

Is there is dietitian in the service that you could talk with to identify things to avoid in your diet, and good substitutions so you don't feel deprived?

Good luck to you!

Sadly the command I'm at is too small to have a dietitian on debt. I stay away from fried foods and sweets, except for one big cup of coffee (use three table spoons of raw sugar). But I do eat more then need be. Apparently, too much good stuff is bad too.