Kitchen Scale

Razboo
Razboo Posts: 439 Member
edited November 2023 in Food and Nutrition
If anyone does not have a kitchen scale, I would recommend it. I found it to be a real eye-opener compared to my best guesses and estimates. 100 grams is 100 grams is 100 grams.

Replies

• Razboo
    Razboo Posts: 439 Member
    If anyone does not have a kitchen scale, I would recommend it. I found it to be a real eye-opener compared to my best guesses and estimates. 100 grams is 100 grams is 100 grams.
  • Nevada
    Nevada Posts: 140 Member
    And get one made for measuring one portion. I was trying to use a spring scale that goes up to 5 pounds, which still left a lot of eyeballing to figure out 100 grams.

My new one goes up to 2 pounds, and is much easier to use. About $10.00.

Digital scales might be easier to use across a wider range, but are an investment.
    I am happy with my $10 scale.
  • I agree with Nevada! I used to guess at how much the extra thin deli slice of swiss weighed before I got a scale. I was estimating 1 oz. When I got my scale and weighed the same size precut slice, it weighed 1/8 oz!
    I have been really over and underestimating various items.
    I got a nice stainless steel digital scale by Salter, $29.99. It is worth every penny! It measures weights up to 7 lbs by 1/8 oz increments. It can also measure by kilograms and grams.
    What is really cool is how the tare works. If you use a container to weigh your food items in, all you do is put the container on the scale before you turn it on and it will automaically give you just the weight of the food.
    Easy to use and reliable. If you don't have a kitchen scale, get one!
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Hey I use that one too, I love it. I've had it about a year now and use it all the time. Best money I ever spent on a kitchen tool. I use it especially when I am making my own recipes so I can track what I've used. Everyone should own one.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    Funny, Razboo, I sent you this message at 5PM: not knowing you had just posted here! I love that I can now copy / paste from one thread to another!

I love the details of losing weight....it plays right in to my OCD. Don't know if that's a good or bad thing.

I bought a few things that have been really helpful:

#1) Thing I bought

I bought an inexpensive food scale on ebay.com: not the auction site, but the "Direct Purchase" I think they call it "ebay Express" - but it's still at ebay.com ( the ones at retail stores locally were either $100, or chintzy looking.) I like the look and the functions on this one. It will weigh in either grams or ounces up to 5kg or 10lb with gradation of 1g / 0.1oz.. I REALLY like it. It has taken the guessing out of portion control. Much faster and easier than me trying to use a calculator!

I did quite a bit of research before choosing this food scale. It was only $23.99 and $10.50 Priority Mail / trackable shipping, for a total of $34.49.

Check it out.......

~~"WeighMax Digital Bowl Scales Kitchen"
    ~~Their online item ...............# 190076820968
    ~~Model # "WeighMax W-2810" it comes in black or white with a removable clear plastic bowl that has a pouring feature.
    ~~It takes 4 AA batteries

The seller may be contacted at ebay@more-stuff4sale.com
    It ships from Minnesota
    Their ebay ID is: more-stuff4sale

# 2) Thing I learned
    I love my pedometer that I just bought. It also saves me from the calculator.....I see a pattern here......

#3) On the low-tech side - I bought some nice measuring spoons and measuring cups and matching cups in 1/4, 1/3, 1/2 and 1 Cup sizes.

I measure and log EVERYTHING - yeah, no kiddin' huh?

~cheryl

Message Boards > Introduce Yourself
    Calorie Counter | Terms | Privacy | Contact Us © 2005-2007 LeeCommerce LLC
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Hey Cheryl what kind of pedometer do you have? I had one that I bought at EMS and I liked it but the batteries died and I haven't been back yet to see if they have batteries for them.
  • melissac
    melissac Posts: 41 Member
    I know this is a little off topic but i weigh measure everything eat tonsof food and i still come up shy about 300 to 400 calorise a day after i log it in. I eat all foods bread, cheese, milk,potatoes with sour cream i even had pizza one day ( home made with whole wheat crust) I keep getting the message that i will starve my self ! but I am not hungry after i eat all my three meals and i have one snac in the afternoon cuz that is when i crave sweets so i choose a plate of fresh mixed fruits. any sudgestions
  • cmriverside
    kjllose ---PEDOMETER

Omron Model HJ-720ITC. About $30.00

It also comes with software to track your ongoing progress. It is Vista compatible, as well. I really like it. Check it out on amazon.com - it's great to read other users' opinions and [raves & rants]. There are more expensive ones that will measure your heart rate, too.

~Cheryl
  • cmriverside
    kjllose ---BATTERIES

Well the batteries in mine last about six months if used daily about 10,000 steps. It has a small (nickel sized) Lithium battery, CR2032 - they are very reasonably priced - I think 3 batteries for $4- maybe you can just buy a new battery for yours.

~Cheryl
  • julieofthewolves
    julieofthewolves Posts: 339 Member
    cmriverside - I am so impressed with your diligence! I think I need to get a scale. I wonder how much my measuring is off what I think by guessing.

Thanks for sharing your well-researched products!
  • cmriverside
    You're very welcome, julieofthewolves!

~cm
This discussion has been closed.