Is there a good sweetener?

Now that the Fall weather is rolling in I am going to make every effort to fight off winter illness.

Thus, I have started eating a Grapefruit every day. A co-worker suggested I put sugar on top but I'm not so sure. What about honey? Is it easier for our bodies to process honey or is it all the same?

Thanks!

Replies

• ahertel0214
    ahertel0214 Posts: 244 Member
    Now that the Fall weather is rolling in I am going to make every effort to fight off winter illness.

Thus, I have started eating a Grapefruit every day. A co-worker suggested I put sugar on top but I'm not so sure. What about honey? Is it easier for our bodies to process honey or is it all the same?

Thanks!
  • Skinnier_Me
    Skinnier_Me Posts: 341 Member
    I use Splends on my cereals & oatmeal and it sweetens it up for me just fine plus no caloies.

I don't know about the honey though.. sowwy =/
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,932 Member
    ahertel0214,

Hey, Northwest Buddie! I just bought some Xylitol at the suggesstion of "missjacki", one of the other MFP members....("missjacki" is a Dental Hygenist.) It isn't chemically processed the way Splenda is, it's made entirely from natural plant sources - I bought it at a health food store here in Bothell.

I like Splenda too, and it is made from sugar- but a recent post here on MFP suggests it is chlorinated / bleached to remove the calories. (Don't know what that means or where the infomation can be verified.)

Xylitol:______________________________________________________________________
    Per serving= ( and it looks and tastes just like sugar, but somewhat sweeter) 1Tsp=10 calories, Carbs=4g, Sugar Alcohol= 4g. Apparently it is good for inhibiting bacterial growth in the mouth, and protects your enamel coating on your teeth. According to the research, when used as a nasal spray, it also prevents bacterial infections) See this thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/post/new/898-already-have-doubts

Xylitol has a website. And here is the link to the store locations that sell Xylitol:

http://www.xlearinc.com/locateStore.aspx

There is also Stevia - I tried some as samples from the health food store, and it is VERY sweet. I really like the Xylitol and will probably stick with it.

~Cheryl
  • bigdane321
    bigdane321 Posts: 233 Member
    As far as I can see our bodies process honey just fine.

The chief benefit of honey is that it is a nutritious food and no chemicals are used in its production. Refined white sugar, on the other hand, is what's left of raw sugar after it is washed, filtered and bleached.

Bleach that can't be good.
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Ok... I'm officially done with Splenda =/
  • ahertel0214
    ahertel0214 Posts: 244 Member
    Great thanks!

I'm glad honey seems to be an option but I'm not opposed to trying Xylitol.

cmriverside, I found several stores within just a few miuntes of my house! - how pricy is this stuff?

Thanks!

Adrianne
  • frithir
    frithir Posts: 179 Member
    :promising to try reaaallll hard to not jump up on podium and start rant about the evils of artifical sweetners: Actually, even for diabetes, plain old sugar is better than honey. C&H brown sugar only has 13 calories, 0 grams of fat and 4 grams of carbs per teaspoon. If I remember right, honey has like 70 calories and 60 grams of sugar.
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    I looooove brown sugar!!
  • cmriverside
    Xylitol info for Adrianne & others interested:

Adrianne ---16 ounces (454 g) equal to 113 servings of 1tsp (4g) is $6.99.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Xylitol IS a natural sweetener. You can't buy Splenda at the health food store. It is recommended by dental professionals - I asked my hygenist if she recommends it, and she was so excited that I asked! I also trust my local healthful living store- I've shopped there for 15 years. The owner went on and on about the nasal benefits as well, and uses it daily for that purpose as well.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I quote from the package: (and there are a lot of medical articles from respected sources - not just some PhD you've never heard of - and research available at the WEBSITE, going back several years.)

A quote from the package itself, "Xylitol is a sugar alcohol that is naturally present in small amounts in various fruits and vegetables.
    It resembles sugar in consistency and taste, but has a third fewer calories and is a great sugar alternative for diabetics. Xylitol may also inhibit cavities by denying plaque bacteria the fuel (sugar) it needs to erode tooth enamel. It can be used as a sugar substitute in most sugar-free recipes.'

"100% Pure Xylitol Powder. - 100% PURE NATURAL SWEETENER"

This is the little "story" they also have on the package- -
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The typical contemporary diet is woefully lacking in the whole food nutrients that support overall good health. Mass-produced processed foods contain additives, artificial ingredients, genetically engineered ingredients and more. We provide our customer with only the most natural, high quality whole foods, which are the best source of complete nutrition for good health.

Since 1968 NOW [Registered trademark] Foods has supplied wholesome, high quality natural foods at reasonable prices. We search worldwide for the best natural products at the best prices,and then offer these products without any added costs or unnecessary frills. As a family owned and operated business, we offer three generations of honesty, quality, purity, and commitment.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~www.nowfoods.com - Boomingdale, IL 60108 - [end quote]"

Adrianne ---16 ounces (454 g) or 113 servings of 1tsp (4g) is $6.99.

*** Raw Sugar is OK, I think - right, frithir??? Not sure about that. Everything in moderation.

~~Cheryl
  • cmriverside
    OMG - I am getting exercise from these verbose windsprints on the computer!

firthir,

Soap-boxing highly encouraged, BTW ! !

Do you have any tips how to keep brown sugar from turning into a hard lump? I think that is a great alternative. Cheaper than Xylitol, too. Is brown sugar a non-processed sugar?

Honey is so sweet you only need a tiny bit, too.

~cm
  • Summersweet! Suzanne Summers has a all natural sugar sub. that she sells. Check it out on her website. It is very very good and has no after taste. I purchase it on ebay. It melts, burns etc. like sugar. It is wonderful.

Kim