Just 3 questions!

ahertel0214
ahertel0214 Posts: 244 Member
edited November 2023 in Food and Nutrition
I think these days "they" are brainwashing us to think that all carbs are bad.

AND now that I've started keeping track of what I eat on MFP I am realizing that almost everything has carbs - even the broccoli I had with lunch!

Can anyone give me examples of good carbs so I can work them into my diet?

Also, I am really bad at looking at labels and knowing if something is good or bad for me. Can someone look at the listing for "Starbucks - Reduced Fat Breakfast Sandwich" for me & tell me what you think?

I was having a serious craving for McDonalds Sausage McMuffin this morning & decided I'd try this as a healthier option. Hopefully it was an okay indulgence!

And... last question, I promise. Does reduced fat peanut butter count as "good" fat? I love peanut butter & apples and would really like to have that as a snack.

Thanks friends!

Replies

• ahertel0214
    I think these days "they" are brainwashing us to think that all carbs are bad.

AND now that I've started keeping track of what I eat on MFP I am realizing that almost everything has carbs - even the broccoli I had with lunch!

Can anyone give me examples of good carbs so I can work them into my diet?

Also, I am really bad at looking at labels and knowing if something is good or bad for me. Can someone look at the listing for "Starbucks - Reduced Fat Breakfast Sandwich" for me & tell me what you think?

I was having a serious craving for McDonalds Sausage McMuffin this morning & decided I'd try this as a healthier option. Hopefully it was an okay indulgence!

And... last question, I promise. Does reduced fat peanut butter count as "good" fat? I love peanut butter & apples and would really like to have that as a snack.

Thanks friends!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,932 Member
    uh-good carbs= whole wheat or whole grains (that are also low fat such as pitas, WASA Crackers)

Here's a good website for ya:

http://www.carb-counter.org/

Starbucks - though I am a Starbucks stockholder - and never go there....can't be too good. The Starbucks stuff is in the database, now: I think Mike just put it in last week or so.

Oh, yeah those McDonalds breakfast thingys are tasty. Not whole grains, though, and way too much fat to fit into my plan. That sounds like lots of elliptical time, several hours worth of treadmill at my measly 4.0 mph. Maybe someday.......

All my favorite posters are on line at once!!! We're chasing each other all over the place.

~Cheryl
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Most of the Starbucks beverages are in the quadruple digits... yikes!!
  • ahertel0214
    No, I didn't have a Starbucks drink... a Reduced Fat Breakfast Sandwich.

Made up of a Whole Grain English Muffin, turkey bacon, egg beaters, and reduced fat white cheddar cheese.

I put it the database - I was just hoping someone could tell me if they think this was a good option to squash my McDonalds craving. I'm terrible at understanding lables and nutrition information - it's kind of like another language to me. ;)

Let the chase continue...!
  • Healthier_Me
    I always say feed your craving but have your foot on the break.
  • melissac
    melissac Posts: 41 Member
    well said healthier me .....
  • Healthier_Me
    Why thank ya Melissa =)
  • Here is a healthier version of the McD's breakfast sandwich:

-1 slice of organic whole wheat bread toasted and cut into 2 pieces
    -1 tsp. organic Earth Balance buttery sprad (divided and spread on each toast slice)
    -1 scrambled organic egg
    -1/2 slice of organic American cheese
    -1 organic Morningstar Veggie Breakfast Sausage (cooked on the stove, not microwaved -much better flavor and consistancy that way)

Put these ingredients together to make a sandwich and it is tastes good, is good for you, and very filling.

Really-try it!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    I've been told that the best peanut butter is the fresh "grind your own" kind you can get at health food stores. But, lately I've been all about the almond butter.

The trap in most nut butters is added sugar or even (eewww...) corn syrup. I always go for the "natural" type. And no more than a tbs. at a time (this is plenty for your apple) that's also one of my favorites. The unsweetened ones are a bit of an acquired taste (so my husband tells me, but I love them)

That starbucks sandwich sounds fairly responsible...I'd worry about the sodium, though. (but I'm the worrying kind...) It sounds better for you than McD's.

And on the carb thing...for me I've decided that refined/white=bad, whole grain=good. I don't really agree with the whole "carbs are evil" line of thinking. My Dr. told me that carbs are what feeds your brain...and I need my brain. I have a wheat allergy, so I'm jealous of your sammich!
  • Healthier_Me
    Mmmmm... Almond Butter sounds delish!
    I love almonds. I have to look for it on my next shopping trip.
  • julieofthewolves
    julieofthewolves Posts: 339 Member
    I eat the reduced fat Peanut Butter and I like it. Problem is that while it does have reduced fat, the calories are still the same (190 for 2 Tbsp). But that serving does ahve 4 grams less fat - 12 compared to 16.

There are a lot of really healthy carbs to eat. Some classify fruits and vegetables as carbs and of course there are the well known starchy carbs such as potatoes. I eat a lot of fruit and vegetables and have failry high carb intake. I just avoid anything white and processed.
  • Healthier_Me
    I eat PB about once a month and it's reduced fat too.
    It's usually 1 tbs with 2 tbs of grape jam.. mix them together and I eat it with low sodium ritz crackers.
  • JaneP
    JaneP Posts: 3 Member
    In regard to the good carb/bad carb debate it is all about the Glycemic Index (GI) which is how fast of slow the body absords the carbs and converts to sugar, for example pure sugar is high GI where as multigrain bread is low GI. There is a website www.glycemicindex.com which runs through the differences so you can make a healthier choice of carbs!

Good Luck
  • julieofthewolves
    julieofthewolves Posts: 339 Member
    You are so right JaneP - good post.
  • ahertel0214
    Thank you all!
  • katiechakos
    katiechakos Posts: 348 Member
    Good info in here, guys! So, I would say that I have found most of my success from filling my diet with fresh fruits and vegetables as my carbs. Yes, sometimes a girl just needs a hunk of bread, but on the whole, I'd really encourage you to try and find alternative food options. My husband is a really big guy with a really big appetite, and I am constantly searching for foods to satisfy him, yet maintain the health edge. I make HUGE salads with tons of fresh veggies on top. I make the BEST salad dressing, too... here's the recipe:
    1 TBS olive oil
    3 TBS balsamic vinegar
    1 TBS Splenda
    dash cayenne pepper
    salt/pepper
    *Just chop up tons of leafy greans, add mushrooms, tomato, red/orange pepper, cucumber, snow peas, carrots, whatever you want and then toss it all with this dressing. If you need a "bite", add a little bit of bleu cheese to the top. I sometimes add craisins and sometimes a protein like some chicken breast or shrimp. That is a big salad full of GOOD carbs! ENJOY!!!
  • melissac
    melissac Posts: 41 Member
    My mother law makes a salad similar but she uses spinch greens instead of reg lettuce it is wonderful
This discussion has been closed.