What was the worst thing someone said to you regarding your

Replies

• misskimlilac
    misskimlilac Posts: 306 Member
    These things do hang with us for life, don't they?

I am 39 now but remember when I was dating a boy when I was 15 maybe 16 who thought it was appropriate to call me TANTOR.....for those of you who don't know Tantor is Tarzans elephant. As a teen I was mortified, humilated and so disgusted. As an adult it makes me angry that I let him leave me with that memory all these years.
  • sld_6001
    sld_6001 Posts: 27 Member
    In high school, a bunch of kids and I were playing with a hacky sack and if you let it hit the ground then you got the hacky sack thrown at you. I dropped it so I went over to the wall and turned my back to let a kid throw it at me (I know totally stupid game right). And the guy who was going to throw it at me said "It should be hard to hit her, as it's such a big target". I freaked out and like full out attacked him.
  • stephaniezoundi
    stephaniezoundi Posts: 1,148 Member
    I had a total stranger sit down beside me on the bus and say 'how did you become so fat!'
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    My aunties would tell me I couldn't ever get a man cuz no man wanted a woman that looked like a boy.
    "Men want a woman with flesh on her bones, not a skeleton!!!"
    "You'd better get some curves!"
    So yeah it sucks at either extreme.
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    I get the "child bearing hips" comment quite a bit.

When I was a sophomore in high school I had a guy tell me, in front of a class of about 30 people, that I was the ugliest girl he'd ever seen. Except for a couple of my friends that were with me, everyone laughed like it was the funniest thing they'd ever heard. I had an art class with him, and he threw things at me (balls of paper, pencils, etc.) every day, all year long. I've had people say some pretty awful things to me when I was younger, but that was by far the most hurtful.
  • msiamjan
    msiamjan Posts: 326 Member
    "You look like a two ton TonyToledo"

"You've gotten really slim, except your thighs, but you can cover those up"

"How far along are you, or are you just dressing really sloppy?"

"Too bad you had to be so heavy for your hunting years"
  • My first name is Jen and kids used to call me "Jenny Craig" when I'd ride my bike past them and suggest I join her program. Or they'd just call me fat and an assortment of other charming names. This usually got accompanied by other bullying: having "24" cards shoved down the back of my shirt, throwing stuff at me, etc.

Though one time I was getting picked on by some high school guys (I was in middle school, 5'10" and overweight) who were throwing stuff and I hid behind some bushes by another apt. building and one of their friends came over and apologized for his friends and said they can be real jerks. It meant alot to me that he reached out. Then in high school some guys would tease me in the halls and one day their friend told them to lay off very loudly. I never heard them tease me again and eventually they welcomed me as a friend. Shortly after that the boys in my apartment complex (who were also overweight) were walking from the bus with me. One started to tease me and his friend cut him off and told him to give it a break already and to leave me alone. That guy who stood up for me eventually lost alot of weight and joined the marines and privately told me about how he changed his diet.

I'm so sorry for everyone here that never had someone step in to stop the rude comments, but if I were with you I would be sure you got respect! <3
  • Last summer, I was walking down the street with my son in his stroller. I was crossing the street and some stupid punk comes flying into the crosswalk where we were walking. So I yelled at him to get the hell out of the crosswalk. He drives past and yells out his window "your fat *kitten* should be running instead of walking".
    Really dude? That's your comeback for making a mother with a baby walk in the street?
  • megpapier
    megpapier Posts: 60 Member
    I recently gained 30 pounds in treatment after 6 years of weighing 68 pounds due to anorexia. I came back to work and someone says "You gaining weight?! Your face looks fat." Another comment I got was, "You gained weight didn't you!? Don't gain too much now, ya hear?"

Luckily I'm far enough in recovery that I laughed and didn't let the comments affect me too much but, geeze lol. What the hell!?
  • Mine wasn't by a family members but non the less It hurt. Went bridesmaid shopping with a friend and 4 of us are tryin on gowns and me being the biggest. The frickin lady that was helping us told my friend that she shouldn't go with a particular dress because one of her braidmaids made the dress look hideous. Granted I had to agree with her being that the dress was all big and puffy made me look HUGE, but she didn't have to put it like that at all. Gotta love my friend though, she state well if you feel that way about a particular guest in my bridal party we will continue our search for the dress in a different store, Lady " well ma'am I didn't really mean to put it like that I just thought that you should know" Me " Well lady I guess you just screwed urself for this sale" LMAO
  • aolani
    aolani Posts: 80 Member
    Some of these comments are just beyond belief awful, especially with the parents and other family members. When it comes to family why can't they just discuss their concerns privately without resorting to insults. If anyone in my family said some of the stuff posted here they would be seriously cut out of my life. Who needs enemies when you have negative family members to bring you down?
  • kyylieeeeee
    kyylieeeeee Posts: 197 Member
    When I was in kindergarten, I was super tall for a five year old and thus just bigger than everyone else. My classmates all interpreted this as "fat," and though I certainly was overweight (for reasons I still can't figure out), it just really didn't help that I was so much bigger in general!

And last year, while I was living in France, I was on vacation in Amsterdam and sharing a bar booth with some strangers, and one guy said "the cute girl can sit next to me, the fat girl can sit over there." I was only 145lbs! At 5'2, though, that really is kind of fat in Europe from what I've observed. I'm fine with it now, but at the time it completely shocked me because I haven't been out of shape or 'fat' since I was 16 (highest weight ever was 168)!

Some of these stories are so horrible, though. I can't imagine such unsupportive mothers. I'm glad everyone has found MFP for a great support system :]
  • My coworkers thought I was going to have a baby.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Do people not know the rule about not assuming a woman is pregnant unless you can see a baby emerging from her?
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    If I hear one more time that I have childbearing hips or that with my waist to hip ratio I will never have to worry about heart disease.....

I hear that "child bearing hips" BS all the time!!! Most recently from my EX best friend who I don't think has ever been above a size 4 in her life. I think she was just jealous or upset or something that I was losing weight and could wear her clothes. It's soooo wrong of me to be her size???

I of course do have child bearing hips, because I am FEMALE. But the wideness of my hips and curviness of my @$$ is fat that I am trying to lose, not the bone and muscle...

My mum tells me this ALL the time, she is VERY petite so i must have got something from my dad regarding my hips... But what does it even mean?? Is it frankly just a more polite way of saying you have massive hips or is she telling me im going to have massive babies?? lol x

Yeah, it's a way to say that your hips are wide. Evidently it means you will have an easier time carrying kids on your hips that poke out a mile. I think some people say it trying to be polite about having larger hips, but since we are not in the 1950's anymore, it's just downright degrading to me.
  • anitam1987
    anitam1987 Posts: 38 Member
    Mine wasn't by a family members but non the less It hurt. Went bridesmaid shopping with a friend and 4 of us are tryin on gowns and me being the biggest. The frickin lady that was helping us told my friend that she shouldn't go with a particular dress because one of her braidmaids made the dress look hideous. Granted I had to agree with her being that the dress was all big and puffy made me look HUGE, but she didn't have to put it like that at all. Gotta love my friend though, she state well if you feel that way about a particular guest in my bridal party we will continue our search for the dress in a different store, Lady " well ma'am I didn't really mean to put it like that I just thought that you should know" Me " Well lady I guess you just screwed urself for this sale" LMAO

haha love it! good for u girls for leaving ;)
  • Kristina0202
    Kristina0202 Posts: 188 Member
    The one thing that sticks out when I think of people making fun of me was when I was in high school and this boy I knew walked by me at lunch. He said something like 'hey, i think that bench has a weight limit' and I just wanted to cry.

But whatever. Soon I'll be skinny and hot and he'll regret it.
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    "you're too fat. I want a divorce."
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    The one thing that sticks out when I think of people making fun of me was when I was in high school and this boy I knew walked by me at lunch. He said something like 'hey, i think that bench has a weight limit' and I just wanted to cry.

But whatever. Soon I'll be skinny and hot and he'll regret it.

Yeah, I didnt get made fun of too much well at least directly, I had a bit of an anger management problem in high school. A kid made fun of me in 9th grade so I hurt him and no one really made fun of me after that. But yeah, my mouth is too sarcastic.

I hate it when family members say stuff or they look at you like your a monster !
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    "you're too fat. I want a divorce."

i hope you divorced ! There is a reason why they say "through thick and thin" !