Frozen Dinners for Weightloss

How do you guys feel about using frozen dinners to aide in weight loss?

Replies

• BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    I occasionally have Lean Cuisines for dinner when I'm feeling lazy or craving one (soooo tasty!). I wouldn't have them like twice a day, every day of the week, too much sodium, but yea. :)
  • I believe that they are a good supplement for dieting. You just need to watch the salt content because some of them have a TON of salt.
  • fit4lyfeLisa
    fit4lyfeLisa Posts: 529 Member
    I eat at least one Lean Cuisine, or a Weight Watchers frozen dinner just about everyday, and I'm doing just fine with my weight loss. Good luck!!
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    How do you guys feel about using frozen dinners to aide in weight loss?

Possible. But you had better examine the label like a CSI agent to make sure you aren't hurting your goals vs helping it
  • Mawskittykat
    Mawskittykat Posts: 241 Member
    I had a healthy choice Beef Tips Portobello for supper tonight. It was really good and if I would have fixed all of this plus the dessert that came with it I wouldnt have been able to do it any better.
  • jfrog123
    jfrog123 Posts: 432 Member
    I eat them several times a week. If I am really hungry I will bulk up a frozen dinner with extra veggies. They always have more than enough sauce.
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    yuck. just my opinion. :ohwell:
  • chubiD
    chubiD Posts: 260
    my favorite are Amy's (their light and lean line is even better!), but I try to limit myself to 4 a week... they're quite pricy
  • chris6515
    chris6515 Posts: 131 Member
    Some are okay. You have to watch the sodium in them because you can retain water. I just never felt satisfied with them. I used to eat them because I thought it took all the guesswork out of watching your calories, and I told myself I didn't have time to cook. But now I enjoy taking a little time and making myself something delicious and healthy that fits into my calorie budget. I love to get recipe ideas online.
  • I make my own (bolognese, curry, etc). Then I know what's in them and they are just as easy! Yoiu just make a larger batch when you are cooking your meal and freeze the rest.
  • msfitmom
    msfitmom Posts: 19 Member
    Well...
    Now that I'm not needing to lose massive amounts of weight like I once did I can say I'm not a fan of anything processed. However, when I did need to lose, I found frozen dinners like Lean Cuisines and Weight Watchers immensely helpful toward helping me figure out what was an appropriate portion size. Without them I don't know if I would have been as successful as quickly.

That said, if you feel you need to eat them to gauge portion size and/or if you have a busy lifestyle where the need for convenience will overtake your success, then I think they are fine in moderation. I would consider limiting yourself to one frozen meal a day, however.

I can also tell you a few things about frozen meals that may change your mind:
    a) they're expensive. For much less you can make a large meal or two on a Sunday afternoon and put it in individual small containers and freeze each for lunches or dinners during the week.
    b) you would be shocked at the amount of fresh food you can eat for the same number of calories in a frozen meal. Its like double in some cases. Seriously.
    c) you will feel 1000 times better eating fresh food versus eating processed foods. You'll have more energy, you'll feel like you ate something "real" and healthy and good for you, you won't crash later on because of the chemicals/sugars in your meal, you'll be MUCH fuller because you can eat more.

However, if your goal is to lose weight, you have to find what works best for you. If lack of convenience will derail you, and money isn't an object, I would start with frozen and slowly move on to fresher foods. Good luck!
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    HEalthy Choice Cafe Steamers seem to be reasonably healthy, and really tasty, but you have to read the ingredients!
  • Keep in mind that frozen dinners can be very high in sodium.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    I only really use them for lunches on occasion. I have two kids to cook for, so they're a bit cost prohibitive for 3 people! If I'm in a hurry and don't have time to cook, I'll use a frozen lasagna or something (like tonight!), but it's not often because I can cook for the 3 of us cheaper than using the frozen.
  • heatherswifty
    heatherswifty Posts: 6 Member
    The more raw/steamed fresh food you can eat, the better. The fiber content is way higher, sodium incredibly low. In a pinch, a frozen meal can ROCK, but not as part of a regular dietary pattern. You want to get as much nutrients and fuel (energy) from your food as you can. Most frozen meals are 'dead' from a nutritional standpoint. Also, shifting your lifestyle for long term maintenance will help you in the long run. Hope this helps! Remember, you have to do what works for YOU. Peace, Swifty
  • dallasaj3000
    dallasaj3000 Posts: 4 Member
    Thanks guys!
  • skinnydreams165
    skinnydreams165 Posts: 101 Member
    I occasionally have Lean Cuisines for dinner when I'm feeling lazy or craving one (soooo tasty!). I wouldn't have them like twice a day, every day of the week, too much sodium, but yea. :)

Agreed, same here
  • skinnydreams165
    skinnydreams165 Posts: 101 Member
    HEalthy Choice Cafe Steamers seem to be reasonably healthy, and really tasty, but you have to read the ingredients!

they have some really good meals, i love the spicy chicken and veggies
  • Nsdnjbl
    Nsdnjbl Posts: 66 Member
    I eat them several times a week. If I am really hungry I will bulk up a frozen dinner with extra veggies. They always have more than enough sauce.

I love doing this!! I like the Smart Ones. They seem to have lower sodium levels--- plus lots of vegetables. I get the steamable bag of broccoli and peas ( not both- one or the other) and put 1/4 of the bag to add more bulk! YUM! I eat frozen meals about every other day for lunch!
  • skateboardstef
    skateboardstef Posts: 164 Member
    I have them around for when I don't feel like cooking or I'm in a hurry. They have a lot of sodium.