ideas for a can of salmon

chris6515
chris6515 Posts: 131 Member
I wasn't thrilled with the patties I made last time, What do you do with canned salmon?

Replies

• christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    thanks for asking! i bought one a while back thinking i'd use it...well i haven't haha
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Fork.
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    you can make it like tuna salad. add some mayo/mustard or whatever you like, green onions etc. add into a sandwich.

it's also decent tossed into a salad.

or just open up the can...and dig in.
  • RoosterB
    RoosterB Posts: 214 Member
    Vinegar, mayo, pepper.
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,014 Member
    How did you make your patties??
    I Usually add 1 egg and some breadcrumbs (or crushed crackers) and cook them on my electric skillet. Little bit of ketchup for added flavor (im a ketchup-a-holic)
  • LoveLiveLift
    LoveLiveLift Posts: 459 Member
    Fork.

^^ This. Or I put it over a bed of spinach and squeeze fresh lemon juice over top for an awesome salad.
  • sunnybrunette126
    sunnybrunette126 Posts: 200 Member
    I cut out those bones in the middle of it. Put it in a pan with olive oil, garlic and a can of tomato sauce... season with onion powder, salt and pepper. Cook it up and I serve it over brown rice.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Fish cakes - canned fish, mashed potatoes (or half potato / half cauliflower) of equal volume mix them thoroughly and pan-fry or grill them. Yum.
  • Make a salmon loaf. It's like meatloaf and was my favorite dish growing up! All it takes is a little egg, skim milk, salt & pepper, and some crushed saltine crackers. I think I found my current recipe on allrecipes.com. Yum!
  • Ange_
    Ange_ Posts: 324 Member
    Things i make with canned salmon:

- a breakfast favourite of mine is canned salmon (drained) on wholegrain toast spread with pesto with a bit of fetta cheese crumbled onto.
    -Salmon sushi rolls or japanese rice balls. Use with salad ingredients if making rolls. If making balls just spread a square of sushi rice (preferably brown if you can get it) on some plastic wrap. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Put salmon in the middle of the square (it can be mixed with mayonnaise if you can spare the calories). Then fold the rice around the salmon using the cling wrap so that you have a tight ball of rice completely enclosing the salmon. Roll in more sesame seeds then if you like wrap a strip of nori seaweed paper around it.
    - eat it plain with cracked pepper
    - have it in a sandwich with salad.
    - replace tinned salmon for tinned tuna in any recipe. Eg. tuna bake
  • Ange_
    Ange_ Posts: 324 Member
    thanks for asking! i bought one a while back thinking i'd use it...well i haven't haha

tinned salmon doesn't last all that long in my house. So yummy. And so good for you too with all those omega 3s...
  • feydruss
    feydruss Posts: 349 Member
    I used one last night in some fat free sour cream to make a great cream sauce for pasta! Add some veggies or curry powder, whatever you think would work. I added a bit of wasabi horseradish!
  • ScotsLenny
    ScotsLenny Posts: 139 Member
    give it to the cat
  • I use almond milk, sweet potatoes and spelt flour but I love this.

Wild Pink Salmon and Broccoli Chowder

Ingredients:

1 can (150 gr/5.3 oz) Wild Pink Salmon
    1 Tbsp (15 ml) butter
    1 small red onion, chopped
    1 Tbsp (15ml) flour
    1 tsp (5ml) fresh thyme, chopped or ½ tsp (2ml) dried
    2 cups (500ml) hot milk
    1 cup (250ml) potatoes, cooked and diced
    1 cup (250ml)broccoli flowers, steamed
    ¼ cup (50ml) grated parmesan cheese
    Fresh chives, sliced for garnish
    Freshly ground black pepper
    Preparation:

Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat
    Turn heat down to medium and add onions. Sauté for 2 mins, making sure not to brown
    Add flour and stir until onions are coated, then add the thyme
    Slowly add milk, stirring constantly until the mixture is thick and creamy
    Add salmon, potatoes, broccoli and heat through
    Serve into bowls and sprinkle with parmesan cheese, chives, and black pepper
  • lemon.... it makes everything better :happy:
  • Joined Jan 2011
    Wed 11/02/11 09:10 AM
    Things i make with canned salmon:

- a breakfast favourite of mine is canned salmon (drained) on wholegrain toast spread with pesto with a bit of fetta cheese crumbled onto.
    -Salmon sushi rolls or japanese rice balls. Use with salad ingredients if making rolls. If making balls just spread a square of sushi rice (preferably brown if you can get it) on some plastic wrap. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Put salmon in the middle of the square (it can be mixed with mayonnaise if you can spare the calories). Then fold the rice around the salmon using the cling wrap so that you have a tight ball of rice completely enclosing the salmon. Roll in more sesame seeds then if you like wrap a strip of nori seaweed paper around it.

Nomm Nomm Going to try the sushi rolls
  • My husbands family make salads with it....

the first is:

Salmon, red onion -chopped, fresh squeezed Lemon Juice, Xtra Virgin Olive Oil, and Sea Salt.

We tend to eat this with plain toast no butter.

the second is more like an actual salad as it includes tomato, lettuce and cilantro/coriander.
    You just add these ingredients to the ingredients to the above salad and your done.
    We eat this with rice.
  • Some of these ideas sound fantastic! I don't usually buy tinned salmon but I might slip a couple of tins into my next shop now...
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    I like to make my patties with panko breadcrumbs makes a huge difference.
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Fork.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: