1/2 lemon, zested
    1 (14-ounce) can wild salmon, checked for large bones
    1 baked or boiled russet potato, peeled, and fluffed with a fork
    1/4 cup bread crumbs
    2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
    Freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    Directions
    Heat 1 tablespoon of the reserved bacon fat in a small saute pan over low heat. Add the onions and cook until translucent. Cool the onions for a bit.

Mix the bacon, onion, egg, mayonnaise, mustard, sugar, and lemon zest in a bowl. Add the salmon and potato, mixing gently after each addition. Form the mixture into 12 small patties. In a shallow dish, combine the bread crumbs, Parmesan, and pepper, to taste. Coat the patties in the bread crumb topping. Heat 1/4 cup of the oil in a large saute pan over medium heat, and cook the salmon cakes in batches until golden, about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Add more oil, as necessary. Arrange on a serving platter and serve.
  • I like this post. I was looking for ideas myself. Thanks for bringing it up.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Hmm, I like some of the ideas here! I don't know if I have any cans left but if I don't I'll have to buy some and try out some of these ideas.
  • KatieCuth
    KatieCuth Posts: 569 Member
    Things i make with canned salmon:

- a breakfast favourite of mine is canned salmon (drained) on wholegrain toast spread with pesto with a bit of fetta cheese crumbled onto.
    -Salmon sushi rolls or japanese rice balls. Use with salad ingredients if making rolls. If making balls just spread a square of sushi rice (preferably brown if you can get it) on some plastic wrap. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Put salmon in the middle of the square (it can be mixed with mayonnaise if you can spare the calories). Then fold the rice around the salmon using the cling wrap so that you have a tight ball of rice completely enclosing the salmon. Roll in more sesame seeds then if you like wrap a strip of nori seaweed paper around it.
    - eat it plain with cracked pepper
    - have it in a sandwich with salad.
    - replace tinned salmon for tinned tuna in any recipe. Eg. tuna bake

Im defiantly trying your breakfast idea.... mmm I like tinned salmon way better then tuna... and they have all the good flavours now.
  • MOMvsFOOD
    MOMvsFOOD Posts: 654 Member
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    I use it in salads, with baby spinach, tomato, avocado, Newman's Own Light Honey Mustard dressing and a sprinkle of shredded mozz. I was addicted to this for days!
  • x0xRebeccax0x
    x0xRebeccax0x Posts: 20 Member
    bump :)
  • Breckgirl
    Breckgirl Posts: 606 Member
    give it to the cat
    My cat won't touch it! LOL It's tuna or nothing fish wise.
  • I like mixing it with wedges of laughing cow cheese & spreading over cucumber slices (instead of crackers)