Horror(mones) and Mother Nature

This one is for the gals....sorry guys! ; ) I'm in my mid-40's and just frustrated with the perimenopausal stage! I recently entered a weight loss challenge a week ago with local MFP'ers for a 7 week loss. Today was the first weigh in since the initial weigh in. I stepped on the scale and WHOA!!! Back the bus up sister!!! I gained 4.4 lbs since last Friday which would translate to over 12000 calories for that amount of gain!

Heck at 1230+/- calories a day there is no way I could have logically gained that amount of weight in 7 days even with exercise thrown in...or can I?? I awoke this morning to swollen hands, puffy face and Lord the girls are screaming in pain with each and every step I take. (Reminiscent of the pain and engorgement from the nursing days)

Doc says to monitor my sodium and caffeine to help reduce the water retention but that just doesn't seem to dissuade Mother Nature from wreaking her havoc. (Yes, throw the night sweats in there, mood swings and of course everyone's favorite HOT flashes!) I cannot guage where I am in my cycle to predict when it will happen as I only have 1 ovary left. (And here I thought I could beat Mother Nature at her own game by having a partial...she sure showed me who is boss!!!)

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else experiencing these unpleasant symptoms? If so would you share your thoughts/tips/ideas how to reduce the symptoms and such? Heck I am willing to try anything to eliminate these unpleasant symptoms.

SCORE:
Mother Nature 12
Me -2

Replies

• janeitg
    janeitg Posts: 33 Member
    You certainly have my sympathy. I take over the counter Estroven. I took hormones for years because I couldn't get any rest because of the hot flashes. You might also have your thyroid checked because 4.4 is a big increase. Good luck and hang in there.
  • robinaddison
    robinaddison Posts: 232 Member
    Ah yes, the joys of premenopause - don't they make you oh so happy to be a girl - lmao!! For me, that means menstrual cramps and hot flashes - often at the same time...UGH!!! And the bloating is fabulous!! Try drinking soy milk - it helps some and tastes good too. Also, I've started drinking agua de jamaica (hibiscus flower iced tea). It is really yummy, low calorie, full of vitamins and is a mild diuretic - I find it really helps. And definitely keep exercising - that's the best thing you can do for yourself!
  • InfiniteEcho
    InfiniteEcho Posts: 40 Member
    Just took measurements to confirm and and Waist (up 0.5"), hips (same), thigh (same), calves (same), upper arm (same)...Bust +2 inches from 2 weeks ago!!! Holy WATER RETENTION Batman!!!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    My sympathies! I have been experiencing the joys of peri for the last 10 years. They used to sell a cooling gel pad that you could tuck down the back of your neck into your shirt...it helped for the hot flashes while at work. At night I would sleep on a beach towel (and a spare ready to go on the floor) and a thermal glass of ice water at hand. For the days when the girls hurt, a GOOD sports bra that has the "modesty padding" helps keep the jiggle, bounce and nipple irritation to a minimum. What ever you do, do not let them get cold while in this stage! OMG That really hurts! The bad news is...you just have to tough it out unless you want to take hormones. Due to my family health history my doc wants me to stay away from any hormones and even soy products. :ohwell: