Is there a multi-vitamin that WON'T make me hurl?

When I began my weight loss journey, I met with my friend who is also a registered dietitian. She recommended that I begin taking a daily multi vitamin to ensure that my body is receiving all necessary vitamins and minerals, as these can be hard to get when you begin losing weight. She recommended a multi vitamin that had calcium and folic acid, so I chose "One a Day Teen Advantage for Her" since it fit the requirements.

Holy freaking God.

These things are enormous and hard to swallow, taste terrible for the moment they're in your mouth, and seriously every time I take them I feel sick to my stomach, and get insane stomach cramps. I've tried taking them with and without food, and still they make me feel like crap.

Has anyone else had this problem with taking multivitamins? If so, have you found one that doesn't make you feel terrible?

Replies

• em1976
    em1976 Posts: 119 Member
    I swapped out my multi-vitamin for a protein powder that had almost identical stuff in it.What you can add to make the shakes is endless,frozen fruit,yoghurt,cottage cheese,cream cheese,fresh fruit.Solved my issues of ginormous tablets most days which id forget to take.Just a thought:)
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Do you take your vitamin before your meals? I would eat something and then take your pill to see if that works. I used to get nauseous when I would take my prenatals before I ate anything.

Ooops, I guess I missed where you put that. I've seen some people say that while you're eating, to take it and continue eating to help.
  • thirtyandthriving
    thirtyandthriving Posts: 613 Member
    Take it at bedtime, right before you go to bed.
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    The #1 thing that helped me: make sure you have something in your stomach. I find that if I take a multi on an empty stomach, I get quite sick. If the pills are just too big and continue to make you gag, then try a chewable or gummy vitamins.

A duh moment: you tried with & without food. That happens when you don't read thoroughly. sorry. :blushing: Okay, try the chewables.
  • Iron can make one cramp. Generally taking with food can help that. Liquid supplement may be easier on your stomach, and prescription brands tend to have smaller molecules and be easier to take. Taking at night time can help some too, as you sleep through some of the yucky.
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    I felt the same way about the One a Day Teen when I tried taking them.
    All the multivitamins I looked at all seemed really big to me. (I'm really bad with large pills)

I take Vitafusion chewable adult multivitamins. I think Target has a generic version of it.
  • sharpeoplepc
    sharpeoplepc Posts: 84 Member
    My stomach is sensitive to vitamins too. I found that if I take them with dinner I can tolerate them. I think it helps to have a full days worth of food in your system and a big meal before you take it. Anyway, that's what works for me!
  • rowm6
    rowm6 Posts: 2 Member
    i suggest taking them at night, after you eaten every meal all day. i cannot personaaly take a multivitamin in the mornings it leaves me sick. different brands are shaped differently and worse case you can always switch to a childs vitamin which is what they suggest for pregnant women having difficulties taking the prenatals. best of luck!
  • SDkitty
    SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
    I also take One a Days and I agree they are a pain to swallow but I usually take it right before I eat so that even if it feels like it's in my throat, the food takes that feeling away.

If you just can't handle it there are quite a few brands that sell "Gummy" vitamins now that you just chew. They probably have a few calories like gum but it would be worth it if you're not getting the vitamins in your diet.

LLAP :flowerforyou:
  • Bonny272
    Bonny272 Posts: 154 Member
    They have liquid multivitamins and gummy vitamins. I'd take two gummies if I were you. My husband cuts his vitamins in half and says that keeps his stomach from hurting. I have to eat before I take mine. Hope that helps. :flowerforyou:
  • Susay2942
    Susay2942 Posts: 211 Member
    Twin Lab Dual Tabs Sustained Released are the best I have ever found!

http://www.amazon.com/Twinlab-DualTabs-Vitamin-Mineral-Formula/dp/B000053147
  • Shrinking_Xtina
    Shrinking_Xtina Posts: 478 Member
    They all make me hurl except for....Trader Joe's Gummy Multivitamin.
  • rv40
    rv40 Posts: 99 Member
    Take a children's mutli vitamen.
  • Mel36Run
    Mel36Run Posts: 114 Member
    I used to take one a day for women. They started making me feel nauseous. My Doctor told me to take flintstones....lol. I have been taking them for a couple of months and I feel fine now.
  • Summerleahd
    Summerleahd Posts: 314 Member
    I take flintstones gummys :)
  • lisasdoinit
    lisasdoinit Posts: 216 Member
    i'm on the take it at night team.

i take my b12 and my iron pills at night. The thing with iron is it has to be on an empty stomach so right before bed works - it's empty and the nausea doesn't bother me cuz i'm sleeping lol.

if you need to have food in your tummy before taking the vitamin, try a light snack right before bed
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Gummy vitamins. Sold at all major pharmacies and Wal-mart.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    I also do gummy vitamins. They make them for adults now.
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,848 Member
    I like Trader Joe's High Potency Chewable Multi-vitamins.

I don't like swallowing pills either - even smaller ones.
  • jeannemarie333
    jeannemarie333 Posts: 214 Member
    I have had a hard time trying to find one that doesn't make me want to hurl, I ended up with a brand called "Solgar" which costs a bit more, but has whole foods, and is more natural, I take it after I eat - I think you can get it at Whole Foods, GNC or Fruitful Yield. I agree with everyone who wrote about eating before taking it, but it sounds like you tried that and it didn't work either. I heard that iron can make you sick, so bought an iron free multi and it was fine, but had to find ways to get iron with food. I think it's a common problem, our stomach's probably don't like being bombarded with a ka-zillion different vitamins, minerals and other ingredients all at once. I too have taken protein/vitamin powders that you mix with water or juice. I also like the idea of taking it before bed, but haven't tried that myself. Hope this helps, good luck.