Favorite Hiking Spots?

NeuroticVirgo
NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
What is your favorite spot to go walking/hiking/running etc?

I like south mountain on silent Sundays! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Madera Canyon is my favorite place to hike, although Mt. Lemmon works, too.
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Right now I really like Estrella Mountain, I'm going again this weekend to check out some more trails.
  • mrivera713
    mrivera713 Posts: 231 Member
    I like North Mountain because I can get my "not a hiker" type of friends to join me... (It's paved)
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    I like North Mountain because I can get my "not a hiker" type of friends to join me... (It's paved)

Having paved areas seems to be the best way to get people to go, most of the time rocks or dirt is mentioned it seems like some people just drop off the planet all of a sudden. :laugh:
  • CoryIda

Having paved areas seems to be the best way to get people to go, most of the time rocks or dirt is mentioned it seems like some people just drop off the planet all of a sudden. :laugh:
    I am the opposite. I didn't like Tumamoc Hill because it is paved. I am usual all about rules, but when it comes to nature, I like to go "off the beaten path" and get all dirty and scratched up.
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member

I am the opposite. I didn't like Tumamoc Hill because it is paved. I am usual all about rules, but when it comes to nature, I like to go "off the beaten path" and get all dirty and scratched up.

I'm the same way, I like to get in the dirt rocky trails. But a lot of the times I go with a friend who brings her son and needs those paved paths to push the stroller. She manages in the dirt but its much easier on those paved ones.
  • yvonnecooper
    yvonnecooper Posts: 23 Member
    I like San Tan Park. I am still fairly new to interval trail runs so I am on the lookout for new spots but I am always happy to keep visiting SanTan.
  • SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 692 Member
    Anywhere up here in the Prescott area! :bigsmile: Tons of Geocaches up here too!
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    My wife hates most "hiking" but loves North Mountain, I prefer Squaw Peak and wanna try camelback soon
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Anywhere up here in the Prescott area! :bigsmile: Tons of Geocaches up here too!
    Some weekends the inlaws live in pine lakes
  • dodger7977
    dodger7977 Posts: 108 Member
    I liked being up on mt. Graham in Safford. It was cold in summer and you can hike the road or on trail. I didn't go very far as I was alone but it would be nice as a group to get into it.
  • RonneyKay
    RonneyKay Posts: 464 Member

OMG! we are geocachers too... awesome!
  • dcholliday2
    dcholliday2 Posts: 36 Member
    I love anywhere in Sedona! West fork is beautiful when the colors change over to fall. I usually love the more secluded hikes in Sedona, but that one is awesome in fall!
  • lumberjacks94
    lumberjacks94 Posts: 135 Member

A coworker and I have been doing North Mountain on Thursday mornings for a few weeks now after our overnight shift. If you ever want to join us or do it another time, just let me know! I love the view up there.....
  • spitfire1962
    spitfire1962 Posts: 347 Member
    I live in Casa Grande, so I go to the CG Mountain. It's not big by any means, but it's fun to get to the top. They have put in new trails that wind around the mountain. We are getting more hikers there now, so it's fun to try to beat my time and it's pretty rocky and steep. Love it!
  • mrivera713
    mrivera713 Posts: 231 Member

I'm the same way, I like to get in the dirt rocky trails. But a lot of the times I go with a friend who brings her son and needs those paved paths to push the stroller. She manages in the dirt but its much easier on those paved ones.

Oh it's not hiking without the dirt! The paved roads is just a trick to get them hooked.. shhhhhh giggle. I have done Squaw Peak, Camelback, South Mountain and Shaw Butte (Something like that. I think that's the name. the one on 40th St and Shea). CAMELBACK is my GOAL!!!! I have not conquered that mountain... I just keep praying for God to MOVE that mountain cause it is TOO much for me right now.. lol
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    I like variety ( I think that's what I just said in my 'favorite zumba instructors post )

So although we do telegraph/national a lot b/c we live w/i walking distance of it - I prefer to drive somewhere to hike. We went to Fossil Creek this summer (My favorite hike yet), and did some hike's in Prescott and Flagstaff as well (To see autumn in september).

Since we have family in CA and my hubby goes there for work every week we also hiked in CA a bunch this year - I liked the Gaviota Wind Caves best because....we got to do the tiniest bit of rock climbing and you could see the ocean....also did some santa rosa stuff too.

I guess I should look into some other local hikes, so far it's been the mindset that if we have to drive we should go somewhere a bit further to get a change of scneery.

To answer the question - I have ADHD I can't pic a 'favorite' except for Fossil Creek and I can't drive there all the time so I really welcome the input here...although I don't like hiking 'paved' - for the same reasons I don't like to 'walk / run' around a neighborhood....
  • kphillips83
    kphillips83 Posts: 56 Member
    I liked being up on mt. Graham in Safford. It was cold in summer and you can hike the road or on trail. I didn't go very far as I was alone but it would be nice as a group to get into it.

I would so be down with that! I used to take my kids for a hike up there every other weekend or so but only so rough you can get with kids plus its to cold for them now :-(
  • RonneyKay
    RonneyKay Posts: 464 Member
    I like Usery ALOT. And then there is this one trail across from red mtn. I wish I knew the name of it, I don't think it has one, but its pretty steep and its just beautiful up there.

For a quick hike though, just in and out, Papago Park and Hole in the Rock. I love hiking all around there too, especially since I don't live too far away from there:) I also like the ruins over there. Hiking up in Show Low is pretty great too. I introduced my friends that live up there to geocaching and now they are hooked haha.

Ronney
  • CoryIda

Oh it's not hiking without the dirt!
    I know - if it is paved, it's just a steep walk. :tongue: