Spare tire help

mschwark
mschwark Posts: 20
edited November 2023 in Fitness and Exercise
Ok, I AM seeing it get smaller, but it is still there. I have lost 10 lbs in 10 weeks and lovin it, but what can I add in to get rid of these love handles?

Replies

• Ok, I AM seeing it get smaller, but it is still there. I have lost 10 lbs in 10 weeks and lovin it, but what can I add in to get rid of these love handles?
  • I am not jumping on the low carb bandwagon but you might want to try eating less proccessed carbs. My dad was a bodybuilder (still in awesome shape today at 47) and when he wanted to "cut up" he would eat strict no carb. He has always told me that to lose the last 10 lbs (usually around the waist for us ladies) I would need to eat less bad carbs such as breads, crackers, pastas, rice ect and more veggies with my meals. That way I am still getting a healthy amount of carbs but cutting out the processed stuff. Instead of having a healthy chicken breast with 1/2 cup brown rice for dinner, I would have a chicken breast, 1/2 cup broccoli, and a 1/4 cup of brown rice. Hope this helps!
  • nbuehrmann
    nbuehrmann Posts: 47 Member
    That's true, and most low carb diets even claim "lose belly fat first!".
  • kimford28
    kimford28 Posts: 320
    I hear that starchy food adds to the stomach area too....
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    First, 10 lbs in 10 weeks is a GREAT weight loss. Good work, keep it up!

Ahh yes, the spare tire, I feel your pain as I have it as well (getting smaller but still have about 1.5 inches to get rid of in the belly).
    So just like the thighs and hips for women, the spare tire is the place where the male body stores fat first and most aggressively. Many experts believe that the body will take the newest fat first when grabbing stored calories. So a spare tire will be one of the hardest things to loose for a guy. Because it is the first thing added and as more fat layers are added, the "old fat" looses capilary density and it becomes harder for the body to use the calories stored there (this is largely speculation, but it sounds reasonable to me. someone may have studies that prove this, I don't but I have read research on it).
    I concure with the ladies who posted above me. Carbs will line that tire with extra tread, so keeping the carbs down will help. Also, there are some things you can do to make it go a little faster. Building lean muscle in the area will help make you look better there (even though it will be under the fat at first). And it will help keep the fat off in the future because the muscle will burn the calories faster.
    Unfortunately there is no documented way to spot reduce fat that I have ever heard of. Part of it is your genes and part is your eating/exercising habits. If you stay the course (like it sounds like you have) it will eventually come off.
This discussion has been closed.