So far, not a huge fan.

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    I truly dislike the word DIET.
    Way of life.
    Either you want it and live it or you dont!.
    I only use this as a tool to keep me in line with nutrition and especially keep an eye on macros.
    As for the tired thing a good rule of thumb is to get your insulin levels in line and steady throughout the day.
    If that means eating 4 times a day then eat 4...or 5...or 6 times like me!
    Look into GI info and enjoy those slow burn carbs.
    If you need help send a friend request and I'll point you in the right direction.
    For more info on macros and such check bodybuilding.com forum.
    Best place on earth for it!
    Hugs!
  • Before I moved, I did a variety of different things. I had a great affordable gym with tons of great fitness classes. There was a weekly strength class I went to. I did Yoga twice a week. I did Zumba and Flirty Girl. I also did at least 2 circuit classes. It was a pedestrian-friendly city so getting to the gym and around town generally involved me walking at least 1-3 miles daily. That was my routine at my peak fitness this year.

The city I am in now is not pedestrian-friendly. There is not much for me in walking distance of my apartment. Also, even though it is one of the fattest cities in America (there was a recent study), the good gyms are prohibitively expensive.

I have found an affordable gym here, but it has no fitness classes. I work out with my mom in law. When it's nice outside we walk outside for an hour in the afternoon. When it isn't, we spend an hour at the gym. I usually walk/jog on the treadmill and then I do ab exercises on a stability ball. I also do half an hour of yoga in the mornings. Moving has been hard for me, so I haven't stayed in the routine consistently. I'm trying to regain some momentum. I'm not working right now, so it's a really good time to work on myself.
  • Oops. I meant to reply to a specific post there. Now I can't figure out how to move it.
  • I am overwhelmed! Many of you posted very nice and an supportive things. I've friended several of you. If you didn't hear from me, feel free to friend me if you like. I'll friend anyone who isn't insulting... I don't find that helpful in fitness. I tried to go to Curves, and the woman didn't want to tell me about their program or answer my questions. She only wanted to lecture me and put me on the defensive. Forget that! Being called lazy, fat, and dumb in grade school didn't keep me from gaining more weight over a lifetime (fun fact: I've seen the pictures and I wasn't actually fat at the time, but kids can be mean).

That said, I need to defend myself a little here.

1) "The OP just posted a bunch of crap and then left us." No. I posted before dinner LAST NIGHT. I didn't leave. I fully intend to give the site a fair trial period. Based on the number of positive and supportive responses, I'll probably stick with it for a while. That said, I will not spend 24/7 on the site. That would defeat its purpose.

2) I'm not an idiot. I know exactly how I got where I am. I know that spending 3 years sitting in a library and then crashing when I got home was bad for me. I know that eating out all the time caused me to gain lots and lots of weight. I also know that any time someone said "eat this" I could have refused. I took control of it a year ago, and gradually got into some good habits. Then I moved. I'm trying to find my feet again.

3) I'm not a whiner. I was having a bad day, and I posted right before workout/dinner time. Someone above (and my spouse) suggested physical activity to help my energy level. I realized later in the day that I had not left my apartment all day. I spent it inside. I need to get out more and be busier. Bottom line: I was low. I felt much better after gym and dinner. I was hoping that by posting honestly about how I was feeling I would get a little bit of "give it some time" and "I really like this product." I just wanted to see if others have found it useful. I see that they have and I thank you all for your kind an encouraging words to a complete stranger.

4) I do not eat lots of processed foods. I actually really like healthy food. I would eat fish 3 meals a day if I wasn't concerned about mercury poisoning. Bell peppers are about the only veggie I don't like (Although I'm kind of allergic to tomatoes). I have never met a fruit I didn't like. My biggest problem is eating out and eating socially. My family has terrible eating habits and it's pretty hard to refuse their hospitality now that I live close to them. I'm doing better though. I have completely cut out alcohol, and I rarely miss it (even though I really enjoy good wine and beer). I mostly drink water (occasionally tea, coffee, or fruit juice.. but no soda) I currently eat fresh fruit and whole grain cereal with almond milk for breakfast (and I really like it, so breakfast is fixed). I don't snack or if I must, I drink 2% milk with carnation instant breakfast. It's filling and full of vitamins. I'm thinking about switching to 1%... I can't do skim. I need to work on lunch and dinner, but I have been doing better in recent weeks. I have made myself cook despite my tiny kitchen. I have fixed things like brown rice with chicken and veggies.

5) I'm not a quitter. I have been at this more than a few days. I really started in earnest around this past March. I only recently discovered the website/app, but before that, I lost 14 lbs all on my own without dieting, eating what I want (which was often healthy food, but not always) when I want (3 meals and a few snacks), exercising 2 hours a day on average. I know I need to stick with it. It took me 3 years to gain 60 lbs. It's going to take at least that to get to my goal weight. If I lose 6 more lbs by January 1, I'm on track for my 20 lb/year totally doable goal.

Ok... you know a little bit more about me and my journey so far. Continue to judge if you must. I will take advice posted above and fill out my profile more. There wasn't a way to do that on my phone that I could tell. I started using the app on a whim during a long drive (I wasn't driving). I just tried the website yesterday. Thank you all for your input. Thank you especially for the words of encouragement. I really needed it. Thank you even to the people who were pretty harsh with me without knowing anything about my life or situation. I know you meant well.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    A lot of people find it really difficult to transition when they move to a new place. Since you're missing out on the gym, you might wanna try these ideas:

1. fitness videos - if you have cable, you can even check the fitness channels and on demand listings

2. find a park - some place that has a path with mileage listed, and do some walking or light jogging.

3. buy some fitness equipment - minor cheap stuff (dumbbells in different weights, a stability ball, a jump rope, resistance bands). You'd be surprised how much mileage you can get out of these inexpensive finds. I noticed that you can even find them super cheap at TJ Maxx or Marshalls. Then you can take them to the park, and set up some nice outdoor workouts.

4. Consider joining a team sport like volleyball, basketball, or soccer. You'll make new friends in your new city, and get moving without a huge monthly fee.

5. keep an eye out for some active neighbors in your area. Do you notice someone taking walks daily? Maybe start a conversation, introduce yourself and build rapport. Then you can do some fitness together, AND you'll have a new friend.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Welcome to MFP

This site is a good tool to help you accomplish what ever weight lose goals you have. However, it does not do any work for you!

What ever you accomplish will be a result of the efforts you make.

For me, I like the site, it helped me set realistic goals that are obtainable and it provides me with instant feedback on my food choices. In addition there are many people on this site who offer support and who need support.

This combination has helped me lose over 50 lbs in just over 8 months.

If you are going to take the plunge to change your life. Send me a friend request. I am happy to share my ups & downs and to offer what ever little support I can to help you accomplish your goals

Best of luck!
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    You sound like a Debbie downer trying to invite people to her pitty party. Self motivate or be prepared to fail. No one will motivate you as much as you can motivate yourself. Find a reason or purpose to reach your goals, nobody is gonna spoon feed you or force you to get it done.
  • monainmn
    monainmn Posts: 70 Member
    I have been logging in to mfp since mid Aug 2011 and I have lost 34.5 pounds and my daughter has lost 32 pounds. This has helped us so much. I love how you can take responsibility for the food choices and whether you exercise or not. I love that i can eat what foods i like and still lose weight as long as i stay under my calorie goal. I love reading the message boards. It is so nice to look at what i have eaten and make choices based on the information right at my fingertips. "You have to know better to do better". Keep it up and make mfp work for you!!!
  • rajalaw
    rajalaw Posts: 10 Member
    Sorry to hear how you feel. Whether you really realize or not, you have taken a big chance and big step towards your goal. The process is new and strange and hence uncomfortable. Just keep on acknoweldging the feelings. As long as you don't act on them, you will be fine. I feel the same way. I also feel hungry. However, I am going by the knoweldge I am acquiring and awareness which is being created. There might be lot of factors against you. However, there are few things you control- the kind of food you eat (high calorie/low calorie or low carb/high carb or healthy/unhealthy), the amount of exercise you do and how you feel. So, just reevaluate and see if you can give a try to the factors you can control. For example, if you are not exercising, then walk for 10 minutes only for a week. And pay attention to how you feel. Experiment!! Remain open to possibilities- that is what it is all about.
  • spyork
    spyork Posts: 187
    Well your in the right place for a start.................become accountable for your attitude and outlook, stop been so negative and stop looking for excuses.

Take each day as a small step forward to reaching your goals, all you need to do is move a little more and eat a little less the rest is all in your head. Set very specific goals and put a deadline on them. You can and will achieve them if you want it badly enough.
  • ccmccoy09
    ccmccoy09 Posts: 284 Member
    I think most of us felt the same way when we first started. I personally was convinced it didn't and wouldn't work and I already know how much and what foods to eat and I've been dieting since I was 16 and I'm so busy and BLAH BLAH BLAH. Insert excuse here.

Most of it is mental to prepare ourselves for what we feel is our own inevitable failure.

But failure doesn't have to be inevitable.

I think the real benefit to MFP is not so much the food and exercise tracking (I can do that on my own with a notebook), but the community. People genuinely care about their "friends" and that support goes a long way. Give it a month, you might like it.

Oh, and I'm adding you and supporting and motivating you, whether you like it or not!! :D
  • skcornett
    skcornett Posts: 169 Member
    Let us be your support system - we all understand the issues. Add us as friends and we'll motivate you as often as you need it.

As for tracking your calories, it will seem tedious at first, but it's the best way to know exactly what you're putting in your mouth. It's very eye opening. You'll get used to it and you'll stop thinking about food all the time.

Do you have any type of exercise planned? Less Input + More Output = Less you on the scale!
  • JaredBergeron
    JaredBergeron Posts: 379 Member
    Im not a big "tracker" myself but maybe i could help out...feel free to add me!
  • I understand feeling desperate and discouraged. Hang in there.

My sweet friend encouraged me to start this yesterday. So far, two days in I feel pretty good about it. I did ww and felt as though I'd starve. But, for now I need to stop gaining weight. That is my first goal. Set goals that you can achieve and be kind to yourself.
    I have one thin parent and one parent who has had gastric bypass. Yes, I followed the gastric bypass parent genetically.

You can do this. Don't set your self up to fail by trying to lose too quickly. That was my issue on WW. I need to learn better habits, and not try to transform myself over night.

Stay with us. We can do this.
  • Please try not think of losing weight in terms of 'dieting'. You have to change your mindset, to think positive, feed yourself positive foods ie: healthy nutritious foods that energize your body and mind. (Of course have your craving and such, but in much lower quantities). Losing weight is being nice to oneself...Eating unhealthy, being negative can take a huge toll -- raises the cortisol, gets ya in a funk, and a rut that seems impossible to escape. Take it day by day. Plan ahead what you're going to eat -- eat every few hours so you're not ravenous (big mistake I do A LOT) and then end up making poor food choices. Losing weight isn't easy, but once you can get your mind wrapped around it and start to see results...what a rush it is. Slow and steady wins the race...you can do this, it's not impossible!! :smile:
  • UnderCoverShyGirl
    UnderCoverShyGirl Posts: 254 Member
    I am overwhelmed! Many of you posted very nice and an supportive things. I've friended several of you. If you didn't hear from me, feel free to friend me if you like. I'll friend anyone who isn't insulting... I don't find that helpful in fitness. I tried to go to Curves, and the woman didn't want to tell me about their program or answer my questions. She only wanted to lecture me and put me on the defensive. Forget that! Being called lazy, fat, and dumb in grade school didn't keep me from gaining more weight over a lifetime (fun fact: I've seen the pictures and I wasn't actually fat at the time, but kids can be mean).

That said, I need to defend myself a little here.

1) "The OP just posted a bunch of crap and then left us." No. I posted before dinner LAST NIGHT. I didn't leave. I fully intend to give the site a fair trial period. Based on the number of positive and supportive responses, I'll probably stick with it for a while. That said, I will not spend 24/7 on the site. That would defeat its purpose.

2) I'm not an idiot. I know exactly how I got where I am. I know that spending 3 years sitting in a library and then crashing when I got home was bad for me. I know that eating out all the time caused me to gain lots and lots of weight. I also know that any time someone said "eat this" I could have refused. I took control of it a year ago, and gradually got into some good habits. Then I moved. I'm trying to find my feet again.

3) I'm not a whiner. I was having a bad day, and I posted right before workout/dinner time. Someone above (and my spouse) suggested physical activity to help my energy level. I realized later in the day that I had not left my apartment all day. I spent it inside. I need to get out more and be busier. Bottom line: I was low. I felt much better after gym and dinner. I was hoping that by posting honestly about how I was feeling I would get a little bit of "give it some time" and "I really like this product." I just wanted to see if others have found it useful. I see that they have and I thank you all for your kind an encouraging words to a complete stranger.

4) I do not eat lots of processed foods. I actually really like healthy food. I would eat fish 3 meals a day if I wasn't concerned about mercury poisoning. Bell peppers are about the only veggie I don't like (Although I'm kind of allergic to tomatoes). I have never met a fruit I didn't like. My biggest problem is eating out and eating socially. My family has terrible eating habits and it's pretty hard to refuse their hospitality now that I live close to them. I'm doing better though. I have completely cut out alcohol, and I rarely miss it (even though I really enjoy good wine and beer). I mostly drink water (occasionally tea, coffee, or fruit juice.. but no soda) I currently eat fresh fruit and whole grain cereal with almond milk for breakfast (and I really like it, so breakfast is fixed). I don't snack or if I must, I drink 2% milk with carnation instant breakfast. It's filling and full of vitamins. I'm thinking about switching to 1%... I can't do skim. I need to work on lunch and dinner, but I have been doing better in recent weeks. I have made myself cook despite my tiny kitchen. I have fixed things like brown rice with chicken and veggies.

5) I'm not a quitter. I have been at this more than a few days. I really started in earnest around this past March. I only recently discovered the website/app, but before that, I lost 14 lbs all on my own without dieting, eating what I want (which was often healthy food, but not always) when I want (3 meals and a few snacks), exercising 2 hours a day on average. I know I need to stick with it. It took me 3 years to gain 60 lbs. It's going to take at least that to get to my goal weight. If I lose 6 more lbs by January 1, I'm on track for my 20 lb/year totally doable goal.

Ok... you know a little bit more about me and my journey so far. Continue to judge if you must. I will take advice posted above and fill out my profile more. There wasn't a way to do that on my phone that I could tell. I started using the app on a whim during a long drive (I wasn't driving). I just tried the website yesterday. Thank you all for your input. Thank you especially for the words of encouragement. I really needed it. Thank you even to the people who were pretty harsh with me without knowing anything about my life or situation. I know you meant well.

Just wanted to say good for you for sticking up for yourself. You will find that there are all kinds of people here. They truly do mean well and have found their areas of focus, and i'm glad that you've posted again despite getting some harsh criticism. As someone who is not on the site at all hours, i totally feel you on thinking it strange that people had thought you disappeared because you didn't reply within a couple hours. I think some people are more "message board" people who truly do stay with the thread while it is getting responses, while others like me tend to go "squirrel" (aka get distracted) and come back later.

You sound good, and sounds like you have good intentions for yourself. I think people felt strongly about your first post partly because we all have probably realized at some point or other that we have to be as positive as possible in order to stick with it. Sometimes wording things like starting with "i'm feeling really low and am looking for some encouragement" before going into a lot of negative...will help people understand (if you want them to) that you are down and needing the support, not the criticism. Just my thoughts on the matter.

Anyway, good for you. And thanks for coming back. That inspires others who may be reading and were feeling exactly the same way to know that they too don't have to run and hide if they have a down time or someone insults them, etc. You must be a pretty strong person!! :-)
  • MIMITIME
    MIMITIME Posts: 405 Member
    I love this site and this is why. Genetics are against me as well as health issues and a thyroid issue. I had done nothing but gained weight the last five years no matter what I tried. A friend put me onto this site and it has been a life saver for me. I am going for the steady one pound a week. Sometimes I lose the pound, other times I lose a half pound but the wonderful thing for me is I am no longer gaining. I don't see this as a diet. I eat what I like and want as long as I stay within my MFP guidelines. In fact, it is best not to restrict foods you love becase that is what contributes to gaining the weight back once you stop. I don't feel pressured either. The site is free (unbelievable to me) so if it takes the rest of my life so what. If I fall off the wagon, I get back on the next day. I hope you have the great experience here that I am having. As for being tired all of the time, I suggest getting your thyroid checked if you have not already done this. Good Luck
  • A lot of people find it really difficult to transition when they move to a new place. Since you're missing out on the gym, you might wanna try these ideas:

1. fitness videos - if you have cable, you can even check the fitness channels and on demand listings

2. find a park - some place that has a path with mileage listed, and do some walking or light jogging.

3. buy some fitness equipment - minor cheap stuff (dumbbells in different weights, a stability ball, a jump rope, resistance bands). You'd be surprised how much mileage you can get out of these inexpensive finds. I noticed that you can even find them super cheap at TJ Maxx or Marshalls. Then you can take them to the park, and set up some nice outdoor workouts.

4. Consider joining a team sport like volleyball, basketball, or soccer. You'll make new friends in your new city, and get moving without a huge monthly fee.

5. keep an eye out for some active neighbors in your area. Do you notice someone taking walks daily? Maybe start a conversation, introduce yourself and build rapport. Then you can do some fitness together, AND you'll have a new friend.

I do want to start using some videos. I have to be careful though. I'm in an upstairs apartment. I don't want to make the folks downstairs think the sky is falling, so maybe no step aerobics or Zumba. Some strength and abs videos are a possibility though.

There is a nice walkway not far from my house. When the weather is nice, I go there with my mother in law and we walk for an hour. When it isn't we go to the gym.

I do have some hand weights and a yoga mat. I have a stability ball, but it's a cheap one. I should really invest in a new one or a bosu. I really like bosus because I can use them to work on my balance.

I'm not very into sports. I used to dance, but the only local troupe I have found charges $60 for a 5 week session. I have started disc golfing with some friends from high school. It's not much exercise besides a lot of walking, but that's still something.

Great advice on all accounts. #5 I had not thought of. I have noticed some of the same people on the walk. I hadn't talked to them because I was with my mother in law, but I should try to do that. Thanks!
  • santini1975
    santini1975 Posts: 175 Member
    Let me tell ya why this works. When you have a goal you are REALLY excited about, you want to have someone to talk to about it. Rather than annoy my friends and family who have never had a weight problem and have no idea how hard it is to lose 50 lbs, I come here. Everyone is supportive and cheers each other on. We challenge each other to mini goals, give each other tips, and maybe throw in a little competition to push each other along. Losing a large amount of weight takes a long time if you do it right and can get sooo boring. It's nice to wake up and see what everyone is doing; who has already worked out, who is needing encouragement, who has a big event to work towards...

If you arent having fun yet, add more people! It's more addicting than facebook :)
  • trishlambert
    trishlambert Posts: 213 Member
    Welcome, and good for you for sticking with this thread in spite of the harsh tone of some of the posters. I think the anonymity of discussion boards make some of us think that we can communicate with no regard to how we are coming across.

I think that, with any weight loss method--Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, South Beach etc.--you will get lots of people telling you how great it is. And it is...for those folks! No surprise, then, that those of us here who have seen great results from sticking to the calorie logging and participation on the site will tell you how great it is. I'm one of them!!!

BUT...it's a matter of different strokes for different folks. MFP may not work for some people, perhaps because they just aren't ready inside themselves (that's really where the weight loss happens, not on a site or in a program) or perhaps because they aren't comfortable in this virtual, relatively anonymous environment. If MFP continues to not click with you, it might be because you need more "face time" in a weight loss regimen, in which case a live program like WW or Jenny Craig might take better hold.

Bottom line: If MFP works for you THAT IS AWESOME! If it doesn't, no big deal. If you are ready to put the pedal to the metal and do what you need to do to get to a healthy weight, there are plenty of other programs to choose from.

Either way, good for you for taking steps in the direction of better health!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.