Podcast and App Reviews

CaptainGordo
CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
Feel free to post your reviews of different C25K apps and podcasts. We'll make this sticky, so that we can keep them all in one place for future reference.

Replies

• ChristinaLConway
    ChristinaLConway Posts: 115 Member
    I have downloaded the app "Double Run" but I have yet to start running. One step at a time
  • RunLiftEat
    RunLiftEat Posts: 213 Member
    When I had my iphone, I really enjoyed the C25K app by Bluefin Software. You could track your runs, make notes, make playlists, and it had voice prompts that played over the music when it was time to switch. It would also tell you when you were at the half way point.
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    I used Robert Ullrey's podcasts at first, but wasn't a huge fan of the music selection. I wanted to be able to listen to my own music and just have something tell me when to run and when to walk. I tried downloading some free timers for my iPod touch, but nothing did the trick. So finally I caved and purchased the Get Running app: http://splendid-things.co.uk/getrunning/

It was exactly what I was looking for - something to tell me when to run and when to walk. I could tell it to pause my music when it gave instructions so I didn't have the music competing with the human voice (though you can also tell it to just lower the music volume, instead of pausing outright). There's the option for more extensive coaching, but I personally found that more irritating than inspiring, so I turned it off. But it's there if you want it! Well worth the $2 or so that I shelled out for it!
  • mmhenry28
    mmhenry28 Posts: 163 Member
    I use the podrunner interval training.

I personally love the music although not everyone does. What I like the best is that the BPM is what your running/walking should be. So it stops me from going to slow and keeps me motivated.

All I have to do is concentrate on the beat
  • CaptainGordo
    I used Robert Ullrey's podcasts at first, but wasn't a huge fan of the music selection.
    Agreed. Not very happy with the music.
  • CaptainGordo
    My phone isn't terribly smart, so I use podcasts. My fave has been the series put out by NHS (http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx). I like the music, and love the voice commentary. The encouraging comments are not too frequent, and timed perfectly. I like that she throws in some running tips each week too. Also, I do fancy that British accent.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    I'm still living in about 1997 (Spice Girls RULE!!!! :laugh: ) so I wrote the run-walk times down on a piece of paper and propped it up on the treadmill.
  • nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    On the iPhone I have been using Runmeter - it allows you to use your own music and run against yourself (ie your previous times). You can set the cadence too, so that's nice.

I've used PodRunner pod casts. I enjoy the music, but I don't care for the notifications of speed changes, they scare the bejeezes out of me.

I've tried doing the timing myself, but when I have to constantly look at the clock I tend to give up easier.
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    also note that the http://www.c25kplaylists.com/4801.html uses a computer voice prompt. But I am more concerned with the music.
  • missinmybiscuits
    missinmybiscuits Posts: 100 Member
    I LOVE "Get Running" for iPhone ... the voice is British and soothing and I don't hate her after she makes me run for 5 minutes! :glasses:

Also, it works with the internal iPod, so it just lowers the volume on your music when she tells you to walk or run or reports distance/time. It's great!
  • cpegasus01
    cpegasus01 Posts: 400 Member
    I used Robert Ullrey's podcasts at first, but wasn't a huge fan of the music selection.
    Agreed. Not very happy with the music.

I don't really worry about the music, though it does suck lol. I just like the entire podcast. It has helped me a whole lot.
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    I have a Windows Phone (Imagio) and got the Couch to 5K app by Vimukti Technologies for $2.99.

The app has a major flaw - you cannot lock the screen and the Pause button is constantly getting grazed as I run. When it pauses there's no alert noise or anything, so I'm running along and have no idea that it's paused! It does this when I carry it in my hand, when it's in my pocket and even when in it's an armband holder. Also, when I WANT to Pause the program, I have to jab at the pause button about 8 times before it actually pauses. I have no idea why it behaves this way but it's SO frustrating!

Also, it has gray text on a black screen which is nearly impossible to read in outdoor light.

UPDATE - I just downloaded an update and with some quick testing it seems to still run when I lock the screen. You can't use any other things on the phone or it pauses automatically, but I think they may allow you to at least lock the screen now.
  • dragonflytwt
    dragonflytwt Posts: 49 Member
    I've used the C25K app by Bluefin Software on the iPhone. Love that I can listen to Pandora and use the program at the same time. The GPS is awesome.

http://www.c25kapp.com/
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    I'm still living in about 1997 (Spice Girls RULE!!!! :laugh: ) so I wrote the run-walk times down on a piece of paper and propped it up on the treadmill.

Ahahaha - my boyfriend runs with his fancy phone but I do not so he taps me or signals to me when its time to run and when he stops running I assume its time for me to stop too.

I'd be interest in a podcast though - could you guys post some examples of music on the ones you are suggesting? like list a few songs you've heard on there that you think are fairly typical.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    I would definitely recommend the "Chubby Jones C25K" podcast on itunes. Not only is it free, but the gal who made it is funny and has great taste in music. I am up to week 3, and it keeps me going! I am music motivated....so great music is key for me in a C25K podcast.

Thanks for the tip. I've been looking for something new. I enjoyed the podcasts available on www.kissmyblackass.org the first time through. She's updated it since with music from 2011.

Looking forward to giving Chubby Jones a try.
  • adammccrady
    adammccrady Posts: 99 Member
    I've used the C25K app by Bluefin Software on the iPhone. Love that I can listen to Pandora and use the program at the same time. The GPS is awesome.

http://www.c25kapp.com/

I use this app and it is AWESOME! I use it on my iPod Touch, so I can't use the GPS or Pandora, but I can build my own playlist for my runs right in the program! On Week 5, Day 2...
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    I have the C25K Lite app by Guy Hoffman. It's the free version (Pro is $1.99).

It's not too bad, it's very simple. I have to start my music beforehand so the app doesn't close out (have to keep it open/on top). It dims the music to signal you when to switch. That can be a problem if your switch happens at the same time as a song change. It also doesn't specifically indicate when the run is over, you have to look at the phone to see what part you are on. This isn't a huge problem for me on the treadmill, I can easily check my phone.

I'm sure the Pro version is well worth the price. It plays a sound during the switch, can run in the background, control music within the app, and integrates with Facebook.
  • On the iPhone, I am using the 5K Runner app by Heavy Duty Apps. Haven't tried any others but I'm pretty happy with this one so far. The interface is simple and the progress graph is useful. The lite version (week 1 and first day of week 2) is free, and the full version is $1-2 (don't remember how much).

I also run AllSportGPS at the same time, which tracks route, calories, distance, average/max speed, and elevation. It's a really cool app and the basic version is free. Actually lets you view your trip on a map, which is pretty awesome. It has iPod music control built in so you can play music while it's on. In turn, the 5K Runner app automatically lowers the music volume during the start/stop voice cues. It's a great combination.