Supper recipes?

ziggle_7
ziggle_7 Posts: 81 Member
So im kinda lost for dinner ideas. I'm getting so sick of chicken. i was just wondering if anyone had any non-chicken dinner recipes. perferably something easy to make.

Replies

• DarkDiva2005
    DarkDiva2005 Posts: 140
    feel free to add me and look thru my diary. if you have any questions feel free to ask. Good luck! :)
  • ellenangel
    ellenangel Posts: 106 Member
    What kind of foods do you enjoy? Do you eat fish or red meat at all? Do you like beans?

I don't follow many actual recipes but some of the non-chicken meals I love...

- Pasta (bulked out with spaghetti squash) with a sauce made from tuna and fat free condensed mushroom sauce- mix, bake and add a little cheese on top then bake 5-10 mins until browned/golden
    - Spaghetti with meatballs- use extra lean beef and add a ton of vegetables
    - Pizza- I use a pita base, spaghetti sauce, ricotta cheese, mushrooms and spinach
    - Falafel, hummus and salad on pita bread
    - Chilli- I make it with vegetables and kidney beans, then top with some fat free Greek yogurt. Also good on a baked sweet potato!
    - Tacos- fat free refried beans, salad, salsa, fat free Greek yogurt, salad...can add some tofu, shrimp or other fish for extra protein
    - Egg fried rice- I don't use much oil (just spray the pan) and add extra egg whites and edemame (soy beans) sometimes, plus lots of vegetables- bean sprouts bulk out the rice a lot! You could add a little ham for extra flavour

I also like Quorn a lot- not sure where you live, but their products are low calorie and really good- the "mince" is great for shephard's pie, spaghetti bolognese, etc. The sausages are delicious with gravy and mashed potato (I like half potato + half butternut squash or cauliflower).
  • Redness82
    Redness82 Posts: 134 Member
    Salmon, super easy to bake or grill. (With steamed veggies, and little bit of rice with some of the left over marinade)
    Steak, either pan fried with onions, chili powder, or whatever yummy spices... or grill!!! Here in MN, it is grilling season, and I try to grill everything!

Grill up veggies (or even broil them for a veggie dinner!)

turkey burger with a little avocado on top..

Yum!! You have me thinking of what I need to buy for some good dinners this week!
  • nightingail
    nightingail Posts: 16
    This is what I had last night. Its really easy to make and yummy. http://healthyforlessblog.com/
  • AEisele
    AEisele Posts: 98 Member
    This ones easy and a fave of my family;

I start with butter ball turkey smoked sausage. I take one each of a red, yellow, and green pepper and slice them for stir frying, Then i slice a onion and some carrots (julian still) Sometimes I add cabbage or what ever other vegg I have.

To prepare; saute the veggies in a pan until just tender. Then slice the sausage into bite size peices. Add them to the veggies. Season with MacCormics Perfect Pinch Garlic and Herb season.

You can eat it like this or sometimes I put it into a baking pan and add low fat cheese to the top. i heat it just long enough to melt the cheese Even with the cheese it ends up being under 300 calaries per cup.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Check out the Everyday Food blog or their Facebook page. :)
  • Kelekat
    Kelekat Posts: 174 Member
    This is one of my go to recipes that both my son and fiance enjoy. It turns out to be less than 400 calories per serving and you can lessen that further by using no cheese at all. I use only a sprinkle but the calorie counter assumes 1/4 cup.

Tostadas

Corn tortillas - baked in the oven until crispy
    Organic refried black beans
    Cheddar cheese shreds
    Lettuce
    Tomato
    Onion
    Steamed broccoli
    salsa to taste

I heat the beans and use just enough to cover the tortilla. Then I add a little bit of cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion, salsa, and yes--steamed broccoli. I just pile on the veggies and go easy on the cheese. I can barely make through two of them, which equals about 388 calories for the both of them.
  • jbond80
    jbond80 Posts: 356 Member
    Tex-Mex steak with pepper salsa
    Serves 4
    Calories per serving of steak: 264
    Calories per serving of salsa: 61

For the steak:
    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    1 pound flank steak

For the salsa:
    1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
    1 orange bell pepper, seeded and chopped
    1 poblano or green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
    1 jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
    1/2 red onion, chopped
    Zest and juice of one lime
    1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
    1 teaspoon salt
    Pinch of cayenne
    2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped

1. In a large, sealable plastic bag, combine olive oil, balsamic vinegar, cumin, and salt and pepper. Stir to combine all ingredients. Add steak, and massage the marinade into the meat. Seal the bag and place on a sheet tray or large plate. Marinate overnight or for at least 30 minutes in the refrigerator.

2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine all the ingredients for the salsa. Refrigerate until ready to serve. (Salsa can be made a few hours ahead and refrigerated.)

3. Once ready to cook, preheat broiler on high for 10 minutes. Remove steak from the marinade, place under broiler for 5 minutes per side for medium rare, 7 to 10 minutes per side for well-done. Allow the steak to rest for 3 to 5 minutes before slicing thinly, on the bias, against the grain.

4. Serve with salsa.

OR

Herb-Stuffed Pork Tenderloin
    Ingredients
    1 pound pork tenderloin, butterflied
    2 tsp olive oil
    3 cups fresh spinach
    1 tsp minced garlic
    dash salt
    black pepper to taste
    2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
    2 tbsp dijon mustard
    2 sprigs of fresh rosemary

Directions
    Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
    Heat oil in pan. Wilt the spinach in the oil. Add garlic. Set aside.
    Put remaining ingresients in a bowl and mix. Spread over the flat pork loin. Place spinach down the centre. Roll up loin and tie with string.
    Bake for about 30 minutes or until internal temperature reaches about 160 - 170 degrees.
    OPTIONAL: Serve with Skinny Scalloped Potatoes

Serves 6

Number of Servings: 4
    Nutritional Info
    Servings Per Recipe: 4
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 238.6
  • awaito
    awaito Posts: 18
    Not sure if you like Tuna.. but you can buy the little tin's of tuna that are flavoured.. i.e lemon dill, sundried tomatoe etc.. they are pretty tasty.. you can put that with some rice, veggies, salsa and low fat or fat free sour cream in a whole wheat tortilla.. super quick!.. healthy and tasty!.. and of course ... you can always put in steak, turkey, beans etc. hummus is always a good thing to add to season if you aren't interested in salsa and sour cream. :):wink:
  • DANCERPURPLE
    DANCERPURPLE Posts: 134 Member
    bump
  • mlbazemore
    mlbazemore Posts: 252 Member
    bump
  • chris6515
    chris6515 Posts: 131 Member
    I am widowed and my kids all grown and out of the house. I used to dread cooking for just myself until I started MFP and challenged myself to make easy healthy meals. Now I buy frozen individually packaged meat and fish--my current favorites are keta salmon, tilapia, mahi-mahi, and 5 ounce steaks from Gordon Food Service. I also like ground turkey and some of the frozen meat substitute products like Morningstar Farms. I also keep a variety of salad makings in my fridge, along with fresh and frozen vegetables, canned beans, and a variety of canned tomatoes and salsas. Now when I get home, it's easy to whip up a salad, a vegetable and steam, saute, grill, or broil my piece of meat or fish. I'll usually thaw it in the microwave when I get home from work for a minute or two, then marinate it in lemon or lime juice or balsamic vinegar, along with some dried seasonings. I also like to stirfry my fish or meat with chopped veggies and serve on instant brown rice. On weekends I enjoy cooking up a big pot of soup and have it for lunch or dinner through the week--the flavors seem to get better every day.