What do you train in? What have you trained in?

wellbert
wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
Hello,

I'll start this off.

I'm currently training in Muay Thai, 3-5 times per week. I'm fairly new to it, but have a brief history with kickboxing and a little less than a year of TKD experience.

The Muay Thai is definitely the most intense that I've been involved in. I don't even remember what color my shins and elbows used to be.

Replies

• I have done Tae Kwon Do (red belt), Isshinryu (3rd degree), and currently MMA (1st degree). I've also trained in some weapons and competed for many years in my younger days :)

Looking forward to being a part of this group!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    What is your focus in MMA? A typical kickboxing/JJ combination or something more exotic?
  • Gary1977
    Gary1977 Posts: 804 Member
    Will be training in jiu jitsu, Muay Thai, boxing, & catch wrestling starting in January. Does that count? Hope so because I do enjoy the martial arts.
  • AlSalzman
    AlSalzman Posts: 296 Member
    Al, 35, Indianapolis, Indiana USA. Father of two, husband, full time government administrator. 6'1", currently 185ish.

I've been doing Muay Thai kickboxing for five years and I've had three in-school "smoker" fights (against classmates, no records kept). I'm waffling about whether I want to fight in another smoker on this upcoming Dec 17th... the wife isn't too keen on holiday pictures with black eyes and broken noses.

I typically train 4 days per week, at least 1 hr per session.
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Hi All,

I'm Joe, age 53. I'm a 2nd degree in Uechi-ryu karate, which is a Okinawan style that came from China. I'll be testing for my third degree next Spring, and I've been preparing for this test for the last 8 months. I lost 30 pounds, started running again, and I am doing P90X to bulk up a little. I do some weapons, and some teaching. My 15 year old daughter is testing for her 2nd degree next month, so we've been focusing on making sure she's ready.
  • flatbellybella
    flatbellybella Posts: 303 Member
    I did Tae Kwon Do when I was a kid.
    I have been a kickboxer for about 9 years.
    My mom also has a black belt in kickboxing. :drinker:
  • CavewomanCoby
    CavewomanCoby Posts: 253 Member
    Hello,

I'll start this off.

I'm currently training in Muay Thai, 3-5 times per week. I'm fairly new to it, but have a brief history with kickboxing and a little less than a year of TKD experience.

The Muay Thai is definitely the most intense that I've been involved in. I don't even remember what color my shins and elbows used to be.

Yeah, my elbows are looooooooooooooooong gone!

Also brandishing a nice set of bleeding knuckles after boxing through my MMA shute gloves .Eek!

I train in Muay Thai 3 times a week and box twice. I love it.
  • jtsmou
    jtsmou Posts: 503 Member
    I started in Judo (4th) when I was 4 under my father and uncles (from Japan) I also trained Boxing at that time, before getting into Shorin Ryu (4th dan). Later I did Muay Thai, and FMA, along with JKD concepts. up to the mid 90's

I started stick fighting (full contact minimum protection) in the late 90's

one night I was jumped by some neo nazi skins, and was stabbed and kicked in the head repeatedly. It took about a year before I could walk again. I ended up homeless and partially paralyzed from bleeding on the brain.

After I started to get back on my feet, I started working on getting back in shape though I knew my career was over. Then, I was in a bad car accident which I never really recovered from. That put the final nail in the coffin as far as my MA career went.

Occasionally I will still do a little boxing and stick fighting.
  • digit78
    digit78 Posts: 177
    does growing up in Glasgow and brawling in the street count?!!!

Just kidding, started boxing two years ago however ramped up my training in January of this year, start sparring end of this month with a fight hoped for next year.

Love the fitness and mental stamina it provides, but equally the new technical challenge I'm now faced with as I move thorugh my thirties.
  • cirka2002
    cirka2002 Posts: 134 Member
    HI! I'm Jennifer (37) from Colorado. I've been training kickboxing for 1.5 years and some Gracie Barra JJ for about 8 months earlier this year. I just started Muay Thai last night and think I will start taking some more BJJ tonight. I usually train about 3 nights a week and love it. I also have a 9 year old daughter who does kickboxing, boxing, and judo!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Bumping this because I am interested in starting up a martial arts practice as soon I find the right school / instructor....
  • fae713
    fae713 Posts: 30 Member
    I'm 25 and live in the lovely state of Colorado. I actually joined MFP because one of the people in my MMA school suggested it since she was using it to lose weight after not doing any MMA for about 3 years. I only started going to classes and whatnot about 2 months ago, but my fiance has been going for years and encouraged me to join him. It's intimidating sometimes since I'm the only white belt at the classes we go to, but everyone is really great and incredibly helpful, especially during the grappling and sparring sessions.

I'm looking forward to learning more and attending more classes a week when I am no longer working seven days a week. In the mean time, the two-three nights a week have been incredibly helpful for helping to increase my energy and help me to sleep better. :-)
  • Alderaic
    Alderaic Posts: 294 Member
    Hey guys,

did a year and some of tae kwon do when I was young with an amazing trainer (he was the trainer for the french olympic team) and loved it, I moved to canada, and stopped for many years.
    I started Capoeira three month ago with my two young daughters, and I love it so far. It is IMO tougher to learn as it involves more than just moves etc... but it is very motivating.
    I'm also finishing my first round of P90X, though I plan to keep doing it for a very long time, so I dont know if rounds is a good word.

Anyway looking forward to improve a lot and see more info from you guys.
    Also recovering from a shoulder injury.
  • jean1058
    jean1058 Posts: 86 Member
    Hello!

Jean, from Ohio. Studying Okinawan Kempo for the last 4 years. Started after my daughter challenged me to try. I was pointing out that she needed to work on her stances (listening to her Sensei's instructions), and her exact words were "Hey, if you think it's so easy, why don't YOU try it?"

Four years later, I do it for ME. I'm currently learning the bo staff and nunchakku and compete in local tournaments. For an old lady, I hold my own in sparring. Started on MFP so I could get slimmed down to improve on my martial arts skills. I'll probably continue training for the rest of my life.

Nice to meet all of you! Add me as a friend if you feel inclined. Just message me that you are in this group. :drinker:
  • AlbionOakley
    AlbionOakley Posts: 169 Member
    Been training Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for just over a year
  • caligirl2802
    caligirl2802 Posts: 232 Member
    Hi there, I'm from Redditch, England... I train in Go-Kan-Ryu Karate, and have been for almost a year. I love it, it keeps me fit, it keeps me focused and makes me feel good. I entered my first tournament in September and qualified for the Nationals which are this coming weekend, so I have been training like crazy for the last 3 weeks.... I'm bruised, battered and exhausted, but LOVING it!!!!!
  • michaelocampo
    michaelocampo Posts: 108 Member
    From Houston TX, but I am active duty Air Force currently stationed in Charleston SC. Started age 5, currently 31.
    TKD - 1st dan black belt
    BJJ - no gi since 2006 (on hiatus until judo goals are complete)
    Judo - gokyu orange belt USJA (currently training)
    Jujitsu - shodan black belt USJA (currently instructing)

I began focusing on fitness to be in a competetive weight class and have SAFELY reduced my weight by over 25 lbs. NO WATER CUTS. I was never a wrestler or competitor during my late teens or early 20s, so "weight cuts" are a huge red-flag and no-no! Recently placed 2nd in lightweight no-gi and 3rd in open weight blue belt division with gi grappling events, at only 5'4" and 138lbs! Two of my opponents weighed in at 217 and 238 respectively. I won on points against the first, but I couldnt best the big guy... I was competitive though!
  • michaelocampo
    michaelocampo Posts: 108 Member
    HI! I'm Jennifer (37) from Colorado. I've been training kickboxing for 1.5 years and some Gracie Barra JJ for about 8 months earlier this year. I just started Muay Thai last night and think I will start taking some more BJJ tonight. I usually train about 3 nights a week and love it. I also have a 9 year old daughter who does kickboxing, boxing, and judo!

Yay judo! Its rare nowadays, that people choose judo over bjj! The formailty of the art is a great way for kids to learn learn discipline and respect... plus all the fun of tugging and tripping LOL
  • cirka2002
    cirka2002 Posts: 134 Member

Yay judo! Its rare nowadays, that people choose judo over bjj! The formailty of the art is a great way for kids to learn learn discipline and respect... plus all the fun of tugging and tripping LOL

She did take a few months of BJJ, but didn't really care for it much. We'll see how long judo lasts. She's only been at it a few weeks.
  • Currently train in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Have been for the past 3 1/2 years (:
    Adult Blue Belt
    I train 2 nights a week for 3 hours per night.
    It's pretty much my life passion.